• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What PC to build?

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A question often asked is what system to build for NLE.

Basically you can think along three roads, a budget PC, an economical PC and the warrior PC. Notice that MAC is not mentioned here. There are three reasons for that, one is I'm not qualified to really advise on MAC's, two is that they are way overpriced and three they are severely limited in component choices. So this is all about PC.

Whether you want to have a budget, economical or warrior PC, there are a number of common components that you will always need, a case, a PSU, CPU cooler, monitor, keyboard, mouse, DVD/BR burner and stuff like that so I'm not going into those components.

So what is this all about?

1. CPU
2. Motherboard
3. Memory
4. Disk setup
5. Video card

This is certainly not intended to be a full description of what to buy, but only to point you in a direction that will make it easier to make your own list of components required.

CPU
Budget: i7-860, Economical: i7-930, Warrior: Dual X5680

Motherboard
Budget: ASUS P7P55D, Economical: ASUS P6T WS Pro, Warrior:  SuperMicro X8DAH+

Memory
Budget: 8 GB, Economical: 12 GB, Warrior: 24+ GB

Disk setup
Budget: 3-4 SATA disks, Economical: 5-8 SATA disks (plus raid controller), Warrior: 12+ disks and Areca ARC 1880iX-16/24 controller

Video card
Budget: ATI HD 5670, Economical: nVidia GTX-285, Warrior: nVidia Quadro FX 3800+

Effectively at this moment (March 2010) that means in approximate costs for the 5 components and not counting everything else you may need,

Type PC
Approximate budget
Budget$ 1,200
Economical$ 2,100 (excluding RAID controller)
Warrior$ 8,500 (including Areca RAID controller)

These figures are around minimum to budget for. I hope this gives you something to ponder about.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 240 Replies 240
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2010 Sep 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Baz, Harm, and the other experts:

I almost finished all the wiring. (After that e-mail exchange with the ASUS MOBO support in my previous post, I called the phone support. They gave much better help than the 'Live Chat' service.)

Now, however, I have two - a bit more important - questions than the 3-pin fan vs. the 4-pin fan .

1.I need (actually I want) four more SATA internal connectors(two for use now, and the other two to use later). I found a 'SATA II PCIe' expansion card at Fry's from SIIG with 2 internal SATA connectors for $39.99. The box also says that this card works with Windows 7 (among others). However, all the cards with four connectors that I have found so far say that they are 'RAID controllers'(e.g. Koutech IO-PSA421 PCI-X SATA II Controller Card for $49.99 at NewEgg). Can I use this (or other) 'RAID controller' cards just for extra SATA connectors (without using their RAID capabilities)? (I still would like to use the ICH10R Intel chip on my MOBO for RAID control) I assume that a RAID controller card for $300 - $400 or more is better than the ICH10R, but I do not need the RAID capability. Also, these 4x RAID cards do not mention Windows 7. Do I need one which explicitly states that it is certified for Windows 7?

2.Does an expansion card with four internal USBa female connectors exists? Interestingly, the Lian Li case has 4 front panel USBa female connectors and each of them ends in a male USBa connector inside the case (with quite thick cables). I have a 10-1 pin USB header free, but it takes only 2 USB connectors (AFAIK). So, an expansion card with two 10-1 pin USB headers (and converter cables from USBa to header connectors) would also solve my problem but I haven't found those items either. Is there a simpler solution (other than just not to use the front panel USB connectors)?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Laci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

you can use either card for your sata connections. and use them as single drives if you want.

Baz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Baz, Thanks for your reply. I will buy the Koutech card. Please, confirm: The Intel ICH10R south bridge is better than this card for RAID control but not better than an expensive (> $500) card. Also, my solution for Lian Li strange front USB connector arrangement is a simple card with one internal USB (there are many cards like this combined with external USB or other connectors) and an internal USB hub. Thanks again, Laci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laci do not do the Koutech!  It is a PCIx card and will not work in your P6X58D.  You only have PCIe slots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill! Just in time - I was about to order this card. (Apparently, others are having similar problems ...) I never heard of the PCI-x standard. I could use two "ASUS U3S6 True USB 3.0 & True SATA 6Gbps PCIe x4 Expansion Cards" http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675535-REG/ASUS_U3S6_U3S6_True_USB_3_0.html(and they are SATA III and USB 3.0 cards, $23.00 each!). However, this would use up my two remaining PCIe slots.

I am still searching for an internal 4x PCIe SATA II (or SATA III) expansion card - in a reasonable price range. I do not expect it for 2 x $23.00, but certainly would like something under $200.... Any suggestion?

Have you heard of the "SYBA SY-PEX40008 PCI Express SATA II Controller Card" (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124027)? My only concern is that it does not explicitly states Windows 7 as required OpSys. (Sent e-mail to support - they might even reply...) Also, NewEgg is out of it. Thanks again, Laci. P.S. I actually started assembling the computer about 10 days ago - still gathering experience with hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laci,  Take a look at this one from Adaptec 1405.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, This is probably a very good card (although it got only 'two eggs' on NewEgg - but again, this is the average of two people's opinion ). I guess it is still a good card but it seems to me that it needs  special  connector cables. (It may come in the box?) At $150 it is not too expensive ($125 open box), but the SYBA (http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Express-Ports-Controller-SY-PEX40008/dp/B002R0DZWQ) is only ~$60, and (for me, superficially) looks good for the job (only for extra ports and not for RAID). What would be the shortcomings of this card? I really appreciate your help. This is basically the last item I am trying to decide on before I can start the even more exciting part (OpSys installation, fine tuning, etc.) So, I can go with your suggestion but I would like to know what those cables are in the product description, and also, that it is certified for Windows 7. I will try to contact the manufacturer tomorrow, but if you have the answer (and a few minutes) I would greatly appreciate your input (which would be more unbiased that the manufacturer's ). Thanks again, Laci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing a TON of research for several months (Harm has been a HUGE help) and I was really hoping  to get some feedback on this system I am about to order.  I  will be using CS5 Premiere and After Effects, AVCHD video, no  overclocking or RAID, and hope to take advantage of CUDA and Mercury  playback engine…

(1)Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core  Desktop Processor BX80601930  $284.99

(1) GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX  Intel Motherboard  $209.99

(1) GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5  PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card  $219.99

(2) G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600  (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI  $309.98

(1) CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire  Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply   $109.99

(1) COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower  Computer Case $129.98

(1) Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler  $39.99

(3) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"  Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive  $224.97 (three separate discs for  media, exports and proj files, and scratch/media/page file)

(1) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB

10000 RPM SATA  3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive  $179.99 (OS and  Programs…higher 10,000 RPM speed)

(1) ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD  Monitor  $189.99

(1) Rosewill RCR-AK-IM5002 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader w/ 3  ports USB2.0 Hub / eSATA port / Extra silver face plate / SATA Power   $21.99

Total $1,931.84

Thank you for any feedback whatsoever!

BVJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

It looks good, but two remarks:

1. Upgrade memory from 6 to 12 GB.

2. Consider a 850 W PSU so you have more reserve for future expansions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the feedback! I already have 2 sets of the 6gb in my wishlist and I will definitely upgrade the power to 850. Any particular brand or model you recommend?

Thanks again!

BVJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, I would strongly suggest going with 3 each 4 GB modules rather than your 6 each 2GB modules.  Even if you have to get slightly less timing.  It then allows you down stream to upgrade without removing any of the 2 GB modules.  Take a look for instance at this NewEgg kit for instance.  As  matter of fact this 12 GB kit is less $50 expensive than what you have picked out.

If you can get into a Mircrocenter Store some place close to you you can get your i7-930 for $200 (plus local tax).  It has to be picked up in the store to get that price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Excellent point! Thank you for the suggestion.  I will do just that-I'll get two 6gb modules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been reading your forums for months now and they are all awsome. I work at a computer store so i have done a few bulids but i'm looking at getting away from mac for my next editing system. I would like to get your ideas on this set up. (I DO INTEND TO OVERCLOCK)

i am a little turn on the kind of memory so please help i will be getting this system this month. I do know the power suplly is a little low but i would upgrade when i add another video card.

1x Intel Xeon W3530 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Server Processor

1x ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1x EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

1x G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) cas is 7

Boot Drive 1x OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120 PCI-E x4 120GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

1x PLEXTOR Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache

1x PLEXTOR Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB

1x XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI  Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power  Supply

1x Antec Lanboy air Yellow Black / Yellow Computer Modular Case

1x CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling (ALC)

again im not to sure on the memory the people i work with say the cas dosent really matter that much and they all say kingston.

it will be runnign win 7 pro 64 bit and adobe master coll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

building a gaming box or NLE system?

whats with the Xeon? no point to it, its the exact same as a 930. and its more money add to that you can buy a 950 for less $

whats with the rampage board? over priced for no benefit

liquid cooling? complete waste of money overclocking or not...

the OCZ SSD PCIe card again total waste. if you insist on an SSD for an OS

then get a Mushkin Callisto 120

Scott

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xeon give more for oc or so i was told. i was looking at the 950 maybe i should just go with that. the board is one of  the best raited boards for overclocking. the cooling i got it brand new for free so thats why. and is there any real gain from ssd besides money saved and trim?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just invested money in a Callisto just to see if the newer generation of SSD's would help with our PPBM5 benchmark,  I have several different boot disks and I am getting the exact same scores as I get with my old standby WD 150 GB Velociraptor.  Thanks Scott, for the comment on the OCZ SSD card, I was wondering if it had any value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so if it did not help your bench marks i might just stick to a reg ssd thanks for the info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bill,

if you recall the original posts i did of all the drive benchmakrs etc where i showed SSD/Raptor/regular Sata showed no gains

and also using a seperate temp file (pagefile) drive showed no gains with Sata/SSD/Raptor.

in other words SSD is rather pointless other than faster boot times, snappier windows experiance (semi) i have seen where it does help the temp files a tad but it may be more windows based than adobe based.

Scott

ADK

i do like my Callisto however 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

this would be a NLE system

So revodrive out.

what mobo would you sugest im looking for on that will last and has nice features.

thanks for any input.

Blake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My vote is stay with the G-Skill. Kingston is way overpriced for the performance series and definitely not any better. G-Skill has penetrated the enthusiasts market which is no small feat these days. Go with them.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok cool I was getting a lot of flak from the guys I work with about G-skill.

any suggestions on the motherboard. i do like the they out of the rampage but it is a little pricy

Blake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

layout*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just get the Sabertooth?

BTW who ever told you the Xeons overclock better is incorrect unless they are comparing older packaged Xeons to the newer 950's & 930's.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just looking at the Sabertooth it cant do 3 way sli but i would never do that and it saves me another 150 .

the techs were i work thats what they have in there systems.does the 950 overclock well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines