Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which GPU for CS5.5?

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some interesting information.

"I asked Adobe to confirm my findings and the following statement: "When using an approved NVIDIA card, CS5.5 performs better using cards with more CUDA cores." A few days later I received a short but to-the-point email confirming that my statement is accurate."

Seems CS5.5 takes better advantage of the CUDA cores in a card, and additional cores now means some significant improvements.

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/News/Feature/Review-Adobe-CS5.5-Production-Premium-74852.htm

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Gang, been out of the loop for a while, sounds like the hardware fun is still raging! 

OK, simple question that y'all can answer much easier than me Googling: I have the EVGA GTX 470, and I can sell it for $220. The GTX 570 is $339 after rebate. For 50% more cash would I be getting 50% more chutzpah in real life?  For reference: i7-950/24GB/PP CS5/yadda yadda yadda.

I know, I know, this is probably an old question by now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paulie,

You will be hard pressed to notice any difference in performance. IMO it is not worth the extra cash. Those $ 120 may be better used for 2 additional hard disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent Harm, I was hoping to hear that. Actually, I'll save that $120 and put it towards the $399 PPCS5.5 upgrade.   Thanks for the fast reply (as usual!)  Paulie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree with Harm.  Even on the new CS5.5, which supposedly does offer more performance with more cores, you're not likely to see all that big a difference going from 448 to 480 cores.  Even if it was possible to get a direct correlation between cores and export speeds, that only a 7% performance increase for 50% more money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it's released I'm gonna use Audition CS5.5 to write/record/mixdown a new song called "Jim and Harm Saved Me Buckets of Cash".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question related to this topic, also, I know I type a lot, I just want to give as many details as possible, if you don't want to read my wall of text, please read the last line at the bottom, I tried to make it short down there. Thanks!

I'm not sure if I should make a thread for it but I figured I would start by replying here.

I recently ordered parts for a new computer that will mostly run premiere pro and after effects cs5.5. That includes the intel i7-2600k cpu and the gpu I chose was the GTX470 because I couldn't afford going with the 570.

Today I got my parts but they made a mistake with the GPU, I got the EVGA GTX560 Ti.. Looks like the store I bought my stuff from simply switched the older GTX 470 for the newer 560 Ti in their codes or something (the new card even is at the same price of the GTX470) so I got the wrong card without them even knowning they made a switch...

I know the GTX560 Ti is probably better for most people, but since it has less Graphics Processing Clusters (GPCs) and less Streaming Multiprocessors (SMs) and less CUDA Cores I'm wondering if I should keep the GTX560 or get a refund (well, it's their mistake after all) and buy something else.. I might get the GTX570 after all. The reason I ordered the GTX470 in the first place was because it was on the Adobe list of supported cards for the Mercury Playback Engine... I'm worried the 560 is not what I need.

TL:DR: I have a GTX 560 Ti, does it work with Mercury Playback Engine, is it a good card for After Effect and Premiere Pro CS 5.5 Or should I go with a GTX 470?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted this before, the GTX 550 Ti works fine so the 560 Ti should even be better as it has twice as many cores

MPE-Study-2.jpg

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2011 May 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

However, I'm wondering if the GTX560 is faster or slower (even though it's an older generation card) than the GTX470 for my use of the card. (Premiere Pro and After Effect CS5.5 playback, render, etc) Since I actually bought a GTX470 and recieved a 560, I want to get the best card.

I'm also considering upgrading from the 560 to a 570 if the performance with the softwares I use is really worth it... I wonder if there are benchmarks with Premiere Pro and AE.. All I can find are game benchmarks because those are gamer cards..

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jblanteignee wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

However, I'm wondering if the GTX560 is faster or slower (even though it's an older generation card) than the GTX470 for my use of the card. (Premiere Pro and After Effect CS5.5 playback, render, etc) Since I actually bought a GTX470 and recieved a 560, I want to get the best card.

I'm also considering upgrading from the 560 to a 570 if the performance with the softwares I use is really worth it... I wonder if there are benchmarks with Premiere Pro and AE.. All I can find are game benchmarks because those are gamer cards..

Thanks

1.  AE has very little to be gained from more expensive graphics cards.

2.  Here are the number of cores in the graphics cards that you are questioning:

GTX 470  448

GTX 560  384

GTX 570  480

They all are very close in possibly what is the determining factor in Premiere's MPE performance.  I definitely vote for the newer 500 series boards as the are quieter and cooler.  From my other benchmark data you can see that there would be very little to be gained from upgrading to the 570.  Spend your money on the more important things like faster CPU and more RAM memory

I wonder if there are benchmarks with Premiere Pro and AE..

My previous post was of course Premiere Pro Benchmarks (PPBM5)

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thanks a lot, this enlighten me.. I believe I'll keep the 560 has the hassle to get my money back and get a new card, in time and extra money invested is simply not worth it..

Also, thanks for the link, I'll add my results in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a little trouble understanding the results chart that Bill posted. I'm in the market for a card that will help with Adobe CS5.5 and I'm not sure which card to get. On the MPEG-2, H.264, and Render Timeine charts - I'm guessing the lower the number, the better? Is all of that rendering time?

It's funny because if so the GTX 550ti is competing with the 570 and 580, but the price is less than half of those cards. Which one of these cards would get me the best speed/performance ratio, the GTX 500ti? I'm still curious as to why that one looks like it performs so well considering it has half the cores...

Having half the cores seems like it would be half the performance but this chart is showing otherwise. Why is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thared33 wrote:

I'm having a little trouble understanding the results chart that Bill posted. I'm in the market for a card that will help with Adobe CS5.5 and I'm not sure which card to get. On the MPEG-2, H.264, and Render Timeine charts - I'm guessing the lower the number, the better? Is all of that rendering time?

It's funny because if so the GTX 550ti is competing with the 570 and 580, but the price is less than half of those cards. Which one of these cards would get me the best speed/performance ratio, the GTX 500ti? I'm still curious as to why that one looks like it performs so well considering it has half the cores...

Having half the cores seems like it would be half the performance but this chart is showing otherwise. Why is that?

I am not sure where you would find a GTX 500 Ti

Yes the lower the number shows the better performance (faster encoding time).

Are you really asking which card will give you the best speed/cost ratio?  That is subjective to your budget.

From my testing with a limited number of boards (unfortunately neither of these boards) I would guess that the GTX 560 Ti (384 cores)@ ~$230 or the GTX 560 (336 cores) @ ~$200 would be my performance/buck choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines