• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my GPU Barely used by Premiere Pro? Exporting Media CPU 90% + GPU 20-30%

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm very much a beginner when it comes to understand whats making my computer run, especially when exporting videos so please be patient with me.

I know there are many threads about CPU and GPU but I got lost looking through them all.

My problem:

Premiere is set to "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)" but when I check usage the CPU is being utlised more than the GPU.

CPU is in the high 90% and the GPU 20-30%.

I'm using Premier Pro cc2019

My computer is an Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-53)

Intel Core i5-8300H CPU 2.3Hz 2.30 GHz

8 GB RAM

64 bit operating system x64- based processor

GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Can someone help me please?

Thank you,

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For references of GPU utilization

Apple Pro Res 4444 rendered to H.264 with GFX overlay throughout entire video = GPU ~30%

H.264 with GFX baked in rendered to 3 bitrate compression, meaning NO graphics to render = GPU ~90-100%

Shouldn't these separate scenarios be reversed regarding GPU utilization?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To answer that question, the reason for that occurring is that your GPU has its own H.264 decoder. And when reading through that H.264 file, the video decoding portion of your GPU is getting hammered by the process.

On the other hand, ProRes 4444 footage has absolutely no GPU acceleration at all. It requires a monster CPU just to process (decode) it efficiently in the first place. Hence the high CPU usage relative to the GPU usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines