• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Participant ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure,it says Unsupported,but i have a doubt because i'm scared as *BEEEP!* now that i've seen this topic i've been looking for

I own a GTX 660 Ti OC 2GB and it works perfectly with my Premiere Pro CC 2014. However,i was about to buy a GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX 970 until i tought: "Will it work with my Premiere Pro CC 2014?..Better ask".. Been asking and nobody replied to me.

Because i don't want to buy a card that'll NOT WORK AT ALL with my CC 2014!

In other works: If i buy a GTX 970, will it work with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 COMPLETELY/FULL POWER, supported or not??

Please reply ASAP!!!

Thanks in advance

DV

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Right now the 900 series cards are testing fine  with the MPE engine and acceleration. I have not seen any limitation including effects. So I am not sure where people are running into problems. AE acceleration is ray tracer and on the way outs. Dont expect Nvidia to maintain the version AE left at in the drivers and I would be surprised if any new cards work with it since Adobe is done updating it. Very few use it at this point and C4D with Octane is far better especially for the GPU acceleratio

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 198 Replies 198
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DV2Fox,

Click through any warning dialog box, then check to see if File > Project Settings > Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) can be enabled (or is enabled). If your GPU is over 1 GB VRAM, it is not officially certified, but should work fine. See the fifth paragraph of this blog: Adobe Premiere Pro CC and GPU support | Premiere Pro work area

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's something i'm a bit grateful about, but... You're telling me that with the 970GTX will work on PPCC2014 without any problems?..Because the architecture is "Different" than the 660GTX and might have compatibility problems or something.

That's why i mentioned the 970 GTX.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Just to help out...

I was having real bad problems with Premiere Pro CC and Steam games etc., anything CUDA intensive on my new system.

ASUS Z97-P, Intel Core I7-4790K 4.0 GHZ, 32GB DDR/1600MGHz Dual Channel, MSI GTX970 drvr. 9.18.13.4416

Removed 1 8GB Ram Stick and now everything's just fine.

Could be Nvidia driver, could be Win 8.1, maybe evil demons. Thought you'd be interested.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whitehorsevideo ~

Can you elaborate a bit more on what issues you're having specific to Premiere Pro? Are you (as RebelEffects asked) running it at the same time as playing Steam games? Encoding video and trying to game at the same time will definitely overwhelm your GPU. Depending on the game, I'm skeptical it's using CUDA cores at all, but that doesn't really mean you can do both at the same time. You can, however, have them both open with 32GB RAM. I do it all the time, capturing in-game footage, then pausing the game to go view my capture, putting it in Pemiere, etc. I do it when trying to capture and tweak some really hard stunts so I don't need to constantly start/quit the game. But Premiere is doing nothing but idling while I capture.

RebelEffects ~

It's perfectly fine to leave Premiere idling in the background. Processing is another thing. I do it all the time on systems with even less RAM, capturing via FRAPS, importing to Premiere and previewing, then switching task back into the game to capture more footage, always having them run parallel. Whitehorsevideo already said it's a i7-4970K and 32GB RAM on a 970 which is way more than capable of doing this. Most high end game footage shooters do this. That is, run both apps (plus a capture app) at the same time, but not encoding + playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sinious,

I was responding to cc_merchant's completely fallacious statement that having a game installed on an editing machine magically, instantly makes your editing slower no matter what!

"Imagine 2 identical cars. One with only the driver, nothing else. The second car with the same driver, three passengers and the trunk filled to the rim with luggage.

It is not rocket science to realize that the first car will be significantly faster and easier to handle on curvy roads than the second one.

Same with two computers. One with only editing software is lean and mean, the other loaded with all kinds of stuff, among them games, that is slower."

He totally misappropriates what a computational load is (storage space is a load?) and uses a simplistic, flawed analogy.  Either he doesn't know what he's talking about or views people who play games through a negative social stigma, or both.  Either way, his argument is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RebelEffects ~

Understood and I did see your reply was to him but I'm so used to hitting reply on the last reply it's often not a relevant piece of info, especially directly after someone makes a comment about gaming and encoding at the same time. You're right to an extent because depending on the game (wide gaumet here), it's just space with (lately) a client loaded at boot that largely doesn't interfere or consume mass resources (Steam, Origin, EA, Blizzard, etc). But certain games have profiles and can make changes to your GPUs profile. There's really too much in that equation to say it has zero effect. I'd say is has a very minimal and manageable impact since you can stop game clients from auto-starting, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I'm sure you as we all do are aware that if you have a specific computer and you use it for browsing gaming and your every day needs. You tend to install programs, remove them, maybe even make good use of ccleaner to try and avoid having your system bog down over time as best you can. Eventually it's going to happen regardless. I know for a fact I keep my computers pretty clean overall and even still it makes sense that you'll get the best performance running nothing but an OS, NLE and getting only the codecs and software you need installed.

Similarly when setting up what programs may automatically run when you boot windows, cutting one or two won't make much of a difference but it all adds up. It's certainly worth while configuring these details to get the best out of your system. Okay I agree it might be a bit over the top the way it was put, but knowing how much of a slouch certain people are with their computers some advice like this could sure help out a lot.

ps. If you do run games on your editing rig, consider only keeping a select few installed, not dumping your entire steam library onto your ssd's/hdd's slowing them down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whitehorsevideo ~

Did anyone actually say "why" they feel this is fixing anything? Dropping a stick of RAM does only 2 things.

1) keeps any other matched sticks in their max channel speed (quad, triple, dual, depends on your ram slots and chipset capability) while putting the odd stick in single channel. In your case, dual channel on 2, single on 1.

2) Lower the amount of usable physical RAM.

I'm assuming most of these casual and even enthusiast gamers rarely have over 16GB RAM. 24GB is around the current enthusiast level, 16GB being far more common because almost no game on the planet will utilize anywhere near that amount (remember, video card memory is in use as well, 1-4GB). So unless having 32GB RAM is somehow a rare case, the amount of RAM is not likely to be the problem.

That only leaves having a stick in single channel. There is literally no other reason left at this point. Is this what they're saying the Maxwell cards need? As I've mentioned here I'm only running mine on a little i5-2500k with 16GB (4x4GB dual channel) and I have absolutely no problem playing CS:S, COD, WoW, Starcraft, Minecraft (hey, I have a kid hehe), Diablo III, BF3, and the occasional UT3 and TF2 still in there. What are you playing that's crashing? Give me a recipe for a guaranteed crash so I can see if it happens to me.

TimvandenOever ~

Careful there, SSDs are not spinning disks and reads with near 0 seek time regardless how fragmented it is. That last comment is only really true with physical spinning disks and fragmentation, which can of course be solved with quality defragging. In fact half the slow down of the entire OS is people never letting a system run a defrag over night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, so I was having the crash on game launch problem being discussed on Nvidias forum, as well well as Premiere Pro display problems, playback glacially slow and crash to "windows looking for solution" nonsense. Has Windows ever found a solution? I was running programs solo, no render while run and gun stuff. Although on my older workstations I often do Batman Arkham City while rendering out long format programs @ H264 12 MBs data rate. But removing 8 Gig Ram did the trick. I know it makes no sense, but there it is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whitehorsevideo ~

Running solo, I haven't had Premiere ever crash on me at start with the GTX 980. Nor while I'm running a game for that matter. Sounds like you may just want to ALT+SHIFT+CTRL while starting Premiere Pro to reset your preferences and give it another shot, or try reinstalling it. Playback is perfectly smooth for me.

Dropping one stick but still having 3 (since flexmem) won't necessarily drop you out of dual channel mode. It will remove a potentially pair-unfriendly stick of RAM out of the mix however. Did you buy matched pairs? Chances are either you're overclocking and running the RAM at volts/speeds it just can't handle, or you have a memory issue. If overclocking, stop, and see if that fixes it.

If not overclocking, an easy way to find out if it's RAM pairing issues is to use memtest86 or Prime95's torture test in blend mode, one instance per CPU. Either will thrash your RAM to see if it ever errors. If either program errors out then you know your issue is your memory isn't working together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sinious, but the Nvidia forums, WB Games, Steam etc. all have active threads on this issue, a removing some RAM seems to be working for many. I'm beginning to suspect that Maxwell is still getting settled in. I'll just run 24 Gig until Nvidia tells me the fix is in.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Tweakers Page - Balanced Systems .

Is the rest of your system up-to-snuff for a faster card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CC_M: Intel i5-2500K @ 3,3Ghz (Stock,NO OC, fear of burning the PC), 660GTX Ti OC 2GB, 8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM, Windows 7 64bits Home Premium, and most importantly, Antec AX860W PSU +80 Platinum Certificate.

I might not OC the CPU at all ,again,due to the fear of burning the PC, and i'm waiting for Intel's Skylake to release to upgrade the entire tower's insides

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep what you have, the 660Ti OC. No sense spending money on the new 970.. It will not bring any noticeable benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video processing, especially for playback while editing/grading/effects work is being done, is a complicated balancing act between computer subsystems. It isn't just  any one thing ...

MOBO needs to have good architecture and LOTS of high-speed connections between everything and especially, disc connectors.

CPU needs cores but within a good architecture suited for this task, plenty of cooling and cache ...

RAM well, more is always better but again, if you've got bottlenecks elsewhere putting in 128 gigs of RAM isn't going to help much ...

Video card ... newer is mostly better, nVidia-chipped (unfortunately) much better within Adobe software. Cores and vRAM are both needed. Note again, some real REAL spendy v-cards don't give much if any bump to many systems ... in fact, often with a mid-level system a mid/upper card may be more help to the system as-is than a spendy sucker.

DRIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is something that is most often skipped by "noobs" around here, even ones coming from other video editing/grading apps. The Adobe "design" utilizes ALL resources of the computer, including ... or especially ... disc space. The most common questions are "will this chip or vCard or ram spice up my system?" when from their specs, the one thing that would almost always make the biggest difference is DISC ARRANGEMENT.

None of your other hardware will even break a sweat if you've got all your OS/programs AND all preview, cache, and project files on one internal drive and all your footage on one nearly full external USB3 or earlier connection drive. You're gonna have so many wait-states wasted in waiting for reads & writes to get through to disc & back your chip & v-card will be snoring most of the time.

Multiple discs with eSATA II connections or better; SSD drives for system/programs ... and anything else you can put on them. RAID arrays of 4-5 discs of say 2TB each is GOOD. RAID SSD is certainly wondrous. On the Tweaker's Page (through the hardware forum) they list various ways for laying out disc utilization and your various bits and pieces of projects. Good if at times dense reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Neil: I forgot to mention that i have a SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB for the OS/Programs/Some games and a WD 1TB HDD 7200RPM for Recordings with FRAPS. And an external WD 4TB HDD USB 3.0. The tower's a big beast...Also,is it me,or is your post an answer to an older post of mine or perhaps a copy/paste for these kind of occassions whenever it's all about upgrading or Computer Mechanics?...

@CC_M : If the new card is not gonna benefit Premiere Pro CC 2014, then atleast it WILL for the newest GAMES!..That,ofcourse,is the main priority..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system is ok except out to that USB3 external ... as you'll note on the tweaker's page that connection simply doesn't have the sustained throughput for in/out work. Now, for just say rendered out exports, it's ok. For footage where the computer is going to be both reading and writing to that disc, not fast enough.

Yes ... I'd started to answer from another forae, and it was shuffled over here. Intriguing how these things work, isn't it? Ahem.

And my "builder" is also a major gamer ... LOVES the hot AMD cards, especially for the money compared to nVidia ones. And is REALLY ANNOYED at Adobe for not taking full advantage of the architecture of that line of chips/cards. For him, yes, gaming is the ultimate computer use and function ... 

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the new card is not gonna benefit Premiere Pro CC 2014, then atleast it WILL for the newest GAMES!..That,ofcourse,is the main priority..

That is a major mistake. Keep games OFF your editing rig. Use one machine for editing ONLY. Use another for games and whatever else you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bad thing is,i CAN'T have 2 PC TOWERS AT ONCE in this room and my parents would go crazy if they see me have another tower,JUST-FOR-EDITING =_=;;;

I'm not a "Professional" like some of you guys in here,the only thing i do with PPCC2014 is put a recorded video from a game or TV show and just render it to 720p@29,97FPS,that's it,no effects...

That's why i can only have one thing at a time..Hope that makes things clear

I.E I can export a 1h30min vid of THE WALKING DEAD's game (TellTale Games) in about 45mins, that's kinda enough for me to wait while doing other things. I don't know how much a Quadro card would do though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc_merchant wrote:

If the new card is not gonna benefit Premiere Pro CC 2014, then atleast it WILL for the newest GAMES!..That,ofcourse,is the main priority..

That is a major mistake. Keep games OFF your editing rig. Use one machine for editing ONLY. Use another for games and whatever else you do.

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine 2 identical cars. One with only the driver, nothing else. The second car with the same driver, three passengers and the trunk filled to the rim with luggage.

It is not rocket science to realize that the first car will be significantly faster and easier to handle on curvy roads than the second one.

Same with two computers. One with only editing software is lean and mean, the other loaded with all kinds of stuff, among them games, that is slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's pretty idealistic for those of us who are hobbyists. My computer is used for editing, gaming, word processing, lightroom, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ntreuter: That's the thing i'm trying to say!! I own a "All-In-One" PC but i can't just buy a 2nd PC "Just for Premiere"...That's "Another monitor,another Rig,components,etc"...And that's like 1000$ and we in europe/spain are in an Economical Crysis and we can't afford too much for,in this case,"a single thing".

"But ya wanna buy a GTX 970,that's 358€..." ...But atleast i don't have to change the entire PC for it.

Gaming,Photoshop (wich works as it should),Premiere,among many many other things ...Again,All-In-One...I don't own a Mac because that's "LIMITED" and I KNOW it's dedicated for "Work" (but NO games)

Again,i'm asking for compatibility to people who are owners of such GTX 970 card but NOBODY,NOT EVEN GOOGLE and Other Forums gave me a clear reply..That's why i asked here,to have a chance for a possible answer BEFORE buying the card...But no luck so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideal and Possible are not always congruent. I DO use mine professionally, but around this business we've got about 15 even higher prioritized equipment needs past my editing rig ... so yes, I use it professionally and I must ALSO use it for stills, for business management of two business, yada yada. This machine was the most we could allot for my use in last June. Parts of our business are showing good growth, and we expect to start going through those equipment needs this fall. By year's end, I may well be able to justify a new mobo set, looking at the Haswell E I think it is. Those mobo's, with something like 10 SATA III ports on the board, could take all the discs I currently have and RAID a few of them, and with an even faster chip/mobo, would be slicker than the proverbial nasal mucus.

But that might not be until next spring.

So as one looks at one's editing rig, BALANCE is always the key. Throwing money on one part of the processing chain without addressing other choke-points can be spendy and frustrating. I don't know about that 970 card ... but I can tell you the 770 with 4  Gig's vRAM does work fine. That one is listed as blowing out many spendier cards currently. And is rather reasonably priced.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines