• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

8K from new Canon in Premiere

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sad...someone sent me a 15 second 8K raw clip from the new Canon R5... Premier Pro would not play it at all.  Then I put the same clip into Resolve and it played like butter!  Adobe...keep up the good work. This is 2020. Its on the same computer...Resolve handles it perfectly and Premiere Pro - no matter how I change the setting, just sucks!  How is this a thing??

You occasionally ask me how you could improve Premiere. There is ONLY one answer if you're a real editor - ands the word is PERFORMANCE. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you make the clip available for other people to test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow... 5GB for 15 seconds of footage. I thought 4K was hard on my system, didn't realize 8K would be so high.. makes sense. I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, agreed on the "performance" thing and you're not alone in that boat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system is not that great anymore but could play the clip at 1/4 res and scrub through it. CPU peaking at 90% so I dont think I would be able to edit a feature film. 🙂

Resolve had a hard time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard from others also that people on PC's can play the clip at 1/4 res...my reply to that is - Adobe is a lazy company who needs to be re-writing its code.  I'm on a high end iMac Pro running off SSD's that can do 2600 mbper second...and it still won't play.  And perhaps you don't have the lagtest version of Resolve?  Because for me it runs like butter with color correction and with added plug-ins.  

And my next comment would be - who wants to run this gorgeous 8K clip at quarter resolution?! That's just ridiculous!  I want to see as much resolution as possible on my 5K monitor!

My friend is on a Mac Pro - Adobe uses ONE processor, Resolve uses all 16!  And Adobe probably doesn't take full use of the graphics card. Adobe has the potential of being the best - but right now it's barely good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is lazy. They are king of the hill - at the moment - so they don't feel they need to do more. They keep taking our money though. They need to rewrite their ancient code and make a modern editing system!

Premiere is a wonderfully easy system to use, Resolve is convoluted with a good size learning curve - but it plays back 4K, 6K, 8K by barely straining a muscle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried the proxy workflow?  works great in premiere.    I've worked extensively in Avid, FCP1-7, Premiere since version 5 and Resolve.  The all have their pluses and minuses.  If you can find a better solution for a better price, take it.   me, at least for the moment, I'll stick with Premiere.  For extensive color correction, Resolve, for using shared media, Avid... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an editor and media maker, I have to say that the timing of your complaint is a bit much right now.

You are complaining that a clip that is twice as large as any other media ever created for consumers, with an unsupported format from a camera that has not even been released, yet won't play back yet? 

Please. At least wait until the camera is actually released. The product team asks you to be a little more patient here. Is that OK?

Let's get this thread into the Lounge.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Kevin...Your request is reasonable - IF - it also didn't play in Resolve. And you say "created for consumers". I thought Premiere was for professionals more so than consumers. Hey, the Cohen Brothers edit their movies in Premiere. 

But if you're hinting that "it's coming" soon - then you've made me a happy customer. After all, I am a customer, you get my money every month like clockwork. 

When I converted the clip to 4K ProRes HQ, it played fine. I still think that Premiere needs to use ALL of my processors, not just one or two. I will try to be more patient - and thanks for taking the time to reply. Glad to see that the product team is paying attention to us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

e.motion,

Thank you for your concern. I will have to ask for your patience: at least wait until the camera is released, and probably some time afterward because that's what typically happens—but I can't give exact timing, that is beyond my paygrade.

IF - it also didn't play in Resolve.

That's nice to know, but your concern, as far as Adobe Support goes, is really not valid until the format is officially supported in the product and is mentioned in documentation. Otherwise, we are just spinning our wheels here.

There is a public beta you can try that is a better candidate for your exploration with this non-performant footage and for giving feedback to the engineering team. I would suggest trying that approach. In fact, why not go over there now and try it out?

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I must have been misinformed. I always believed that you and Canon and you and Sony talked to each other months before any release allowing you to "play with" their codecs way before release. Hmm?

I'm not buying the Canon anyways, I'm getting the new Sony a7sIII...but for my clients sake I want to be able to play everything. 

I'm not big on beta versions of anything. To high strung when things don't work perfectly. LOL. But thanks for the offer. 

And one other feature request since I'm talking to you...for years and years I've been asking to be able to "solo" as video track.  I can solo any track in Photoshop or After Effects or Illustrator or any other program - except for Premiere. I know this is not the place for such a request - but...I've been asking for that feature for at least 7 years?  Al Mooney who used to be in charge of Premiere promised me that 7 years ago, and still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you mean by solo?  If you mean just have one video track visible, that's been a feature for quite a while.  Simply shift click on the eye icon in the timeline patch panel which will toggle all the video tracks off or on and then click on the eye of the one track you want to see.  pretty sure that's been around for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give it a try. And thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift clicking shuts everything off and then I can turn on one single track. That is not how soloing is suppose to work. Just like in the audio panel... you're supposed to be able to hit the solo button and JUST see that track... a solo button on the video tracks does not exist. And its the ONLY program in the world that does not have a solo button. Every program from After Effects to Resolve has a solo this track button. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really, 2 mouse clicks instead of one?   lot's of things wrong with the world (and premiere), this not so much.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"spinning our wheels"

As a PP user editing on a Mac, I can relate to your choice of words...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines