• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 MKV support?

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2008 Aug 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to get Adobe Premiere to support MKV files or it simply just doesn't support it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 174 Replies 174
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I rest my case.

... And now I'll go and purchase PrPro CS5.5, so I can export some MPEG-1 and SWF files of some footage I just recorded with my Canon XH G1S camcorder.

However, I also wanted to add some selectable extra language tracks and selectable subtitles and an index for my original HDV H.264 High Profile camcorder movie, but since that's not really the kind of video editing and storage that Premiere Pro is intended for, I guess I'll have to download Handbrake for free instead...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on your desired output/delivery, Adobe Encore can easily add Sub-Titles, and also optional Audio Tracks, but you will be authoring to BD (or DVD-Video for SD), or to Flash.

What is your desired output/delivery?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'll have to download Handbrake for free instead

I know your post was sarcastic, but...good move.  Handbrake uses the superior x.264 encoder and allows for CQ mode.

And welcome to the wonderful world of 'reality', where no one program does everything perfectly, and sometimes other solutions than the one we want need to be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only credible argument for not supporting Matroska that remains is this: "We don't like it - for political and economic reasons".

I am sorry, but that sounds like the contention that because there are unexplained instances of "lights," and other things observed in the air, that the only conclusion is that we are being visited by extraterrestrial life. While that could be a possible explanation, I cannot see that it is only one, so am not ready to make that leap. UFO’s, by definition (Unexplained Flying Objects) exist, but what are they? I feel that most sightings will be unique, and MAY yield the discovery that yes, extraterrestrial life IS visiting us. However, I feel that there will be other explanations from secret military testing, to mistaken identification, to atmospheric conditions, to hoaxes.

Now, your contention could be correct. There could be a secret Adobe Star Chamber, and they might have a hate-on for MKV. I still maintain that the Adobe Star Chamber is actually a group of capitalists, who want some sort of ROI. When they see the numbers, they will make the change, regardless of what deep-seated biases they might hold as individuals. When the numbers are there, I feel that my contention will prove true.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we need to remember is that MKV is a CONTAINER, not a CODEC.  Simply adding MKV support isn't so simple, as there is no telling what video and/or audio CODEC is being used.  Adobe would have to add a lot of addtional codecs, such as Xvid, Divx (non-professional), and others, or their CS would get a ton of calls asking why their MKV videos aren't importing.

I hope they do add more CODEC and container support, including the above mentioned, as PrPro has always been on the cutting-edge of all popular formats.  It only makes the software better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one drawback that I see is that those CODEC's mentioned are delivery-only CODEC's, and are not meant to be edited.

However, PrPro DID add support for 100% DVD-compatible VOB containers (with the MPEG-2 CODEC), and those are designed for delivery too. The few cameras, that produced mini-DVD discs, seem to be becoming but a footnote in the history of Video.

It might happen? Some other NLE programs, like CyberLink's PowerDirector, Magix MovieEdit Pro, and some others (mostly "consumer-level" NLE's) do support more of those delivery-only formats, like DivX. Some have even reported that PrElements will handle some, that PrPro will not, though I have not tested, since my version of PrE is quite old, and does not offer such support.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, please... Don't keep making uo allsorts of ad hoc excuses on behalf of Adobe. Their incredible amount of silence regarding the decision not to support WebM after all is just embarrassing and pathetic - or simply arrogant if you prefer that word.

Adobe does not support ANY of the most popular community open standards - not even FLAC! (well, you can install an unofficial plugin, I believe)

Not even the most impressive video codec before H.264, Dirac/Schroedinger (which was made royalty free as a protest against MPEG-LA's lucrative monopoly), has ever been supported by Adobe although it was developed by the BBC... Well documented? Yes. Profitable? No.

More than anything else this confirms what this is all about for Adobe: Making hefty license profits and doing whatever they can to limit the use of patent/license free standards regardless of technical quality or public demand (I'm sure they've been asked about FLAC and MKV support thousands of times already).

Adobe is defending commercial industry standards. MKV files are almost without exception only containing H.264 video and either AAC, Vorbis or AC3 audio and nothing else - and never some of the 'obscure' formats you keep talking about. That is exactly the same as MP4 and M4V which are also slightly content-flexible containers. However, Adobe and their industrial hardware and software partners behind MPEG-LA does not make any money on MKV like they do on their own industry standard formats. MPEG-LA is making so much money on license fees that there ought to be a law against it.

I just created a fully featured MKV file for presentation purposes complete with indexes, different subtitles and audio tracks last week. It plays fluently, and its features are fully supported and working, when I play the file on FREE media players. It's fun, and it's very useful.

And if you put an MKV file on a USB stick and plug it into any modern Samsung or LG television, it will start playing without any problems, and you can even make use of the additional tracks.

... I wonder just how complicated it can be to add MKV support to Premiere Pro or any other 'high end' software or hardware product?

And then again: You could even throw an editable lossless video format into your MKV container... Something you would NOT be able to do with any other container format that Adobe supports.

Message was edited by: EuroSiti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than anything else this confirms what this is all about for Adobe: Making hefty license profits and doing whatever they can to limit the use of patent/license free standards

Oh, geez.  Not more of this.

Premiere Pro is designed for the professional production community.  It is more codec friendly with the formats and codecs professionals use than either Avid or Final Cut Pro.  Adobe has time and time again shown that they do listen to their user base, and when a format/codec starts to make it's way into professional production circles, Adobe adds support.  We've seen this with HDV, DVCPRO HD, XDCAM, AVC-Intra, RED and a whole host of DSLR media.

No camera shoots using the MKV container.  No camera shoots using the Dirac/Schroedinger codec.  You want support for those things in PP, talk to camera makers.  Get them to make cameras using those formats.  If and when they make their way into production circles, I have no doubt Adobe will respond and add support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about delivery / export formats, not editing and import formats.

Although MKV can contain lossless video and sound (unlike the industrial formats), the Matroska Video container is of course intended for end users. It is basically a DVD-as-a-file, and far more convenient than any other end user export format supported by PP and the Adobe Media Encoder, not least because the advanced MKV features are supported by all the most popular media players these days.

Adobe's flagship products have been so dominant in the market - not just for professional photographers - so of course they must have recieved numerous requests for additional format support - particularly in these HTML5 days. That is of course also the reason why Adobe promised they would support WebM last year.

But I am more than certain that it was by no means 'lack of customer demand' that made Adobe change their opinion. They KNOW the entire market is hungering for a free, common video standard.

I am working for a company that is currently trying to keep up with the immense customer (libraries, archives and museums) interest for - and competition from - open source alternatives. The option to deliver content in license-free community format standards is but one of their minimum requirements. Most of them love Premiere Pro, but they loathe the limitations of the Flash Player.

Open source format support would make Premiere Pro even more popular than it already is, but of course Adobe has no interest in promoting non-profitable standards - especially not if it might endanger their real golden egg: The Flash Player... And THAT is why I think we will never see any official open standards support in any Adobe product... not even when they are technically preferable to end users like FLAC or Matroska.

Premiere Pro's limitations is directly decided by the commerical interests of Adobe Flash Player. Nothing else. So please forget about technical issues and 'lack of interest'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for Flash, have you read this ARTICLE?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about delivery / export formats, not editing and import formats.

Same idea applies.  Professionals do not typically deliver in the MKV container.  When enough professional demand for such exists, I'm sure Adobe will work to implement it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They KNOW the entire market is hungering for a free, common video standard.

Much as I love Firefox, I'd actually prefer they get down off their high horse on this one and just implement H.264 HTML5 capabilities.  It is the most common and best web codec currently available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much as I love Firefox, I'd actually prefer they get down off their high horse on this one and just implement H.264 HTML5 capabilities.  It is the most common and best web codec currently available.

And Vorbis and FLAC have been superiour sound formats for over 10 years, yet Adobe still refuses to support them officially. If FLAC had been developed by a commercial manufacturer, support for it would have been everywhere, because it is by far the best sound format even now after 12 years. Lossless and very space-efficient.

The same goes for Matroska's ability to store H.264 content. Saves up to 40-60% space with lossless settings compared to Blu-ray (M2TS).

Of course it would be great if H.264 would become the video standard. But as long as software and hardware developers are forced to pay those excesive license fees for it, that's just not going to happen. MPEG-LA has already made billions on H.264, after it was made the world's new digital TV standard. On that background it is absolutely sickening that even non-commerical developers still need to pay the license fee.

Thanks for the information about Adobe's mobile HTML5 commitment... Of course this does not mean that they are going to support WebM or any other open video standards. It only means that they don't want to fight with Apple, who have been demonizing Flash for some bizarre reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just double-checked with the guy who processes all of the feature requests for Premiere Pro, and he says that he has seen very few requests for Premiere Pro to natively import or export MKV files. I'm the person who processes the feature requests for After Effects, and I have also seen very few requests for this.

We tend to do what will satisfy the greatest number of our customers, and this hasn't come close to rising to that level of demand for us.

I encourage you to add your vote by submitting a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

Thank you for the input. My contention all along is that when the Feature Requests reach critical mass, then resources will be unleashed to implement support.

I see it as a bunch of cold hard facts - development resources cost $, and if there is not a market for the development, then Adobe will allocate those funds elsewhere. Capitalism (something that I hold dear) is motivated by sales, or potential sales. As a shareholder in many corporations, I do not want them spending $'s, "joisting at windmills." I want them spending the $ on products that consumers want, and will pay for.

Now, has Adobe been ahead of every curve? No way. Have they stepped up often, and had course changes? Yes. One of those was seizing the moment with the FCPX release, and the realization that a new market had just opened up. I do not know if you guys had spent a lot of time with the "Official Adobe Crystal Ball," or maybe the "Official Adobe Ouija Board," but you were right there, even if it was to "pick up the pieces."

While I have zero against support for open source formats/CODEC's, I also understand markets, and want Adobe to remain profitable, and also around 10 years from now.

As for support of "other" formats/CODEC's, Adobe has collarborated with Nokia, for more cellphone format support, both coming and going. Obviously, they are open to new schemes of delivery, and also ingestion. While that will likely be a feature that I will never use, it seems as though enough have requested it.

Your comments are appreciated, as most of us are totally on the outside, looking in, and can only speculate.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for WebM, there was a reference to Adobe's support for it, but I have not had luck finding the link. That is the trouble with an older-guy's memory. I can still recall having read of something, but then, tracking it back down is beyond me. The gray-matter is hardening, and it seems that there is nothing that I can do about that.

I also understand a bit of "licensing," as I was first a commercial photographer, and have sold many images as stock. I have zero problem charging others to use the images. Same for "intellectual propery rights." My wife has funded T-Gen, and her hospital owns many rights to various gene findings. However, I do cringe, when a corporation, such as Sony, locks up everything, and charges tons of $ for anyone to do, say BD through a replicator. Still, they won the war, and "to the victor, go the spoils," so I should not be too surprised. The aspect that hurts me (or did hurt, until I retired 11 mos.ago) was that most independent producers were effectively locked out, due to licensing fees, from producing replicated BD's. As I also have had some ethical issues with Sony, in the past, it is hard to be totally objective on that issue.

Maybe with enough Feature Requests, other formats/CODEC's WILL be added to the supported list for Adobe products?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

As for WebM, there was a reference to Adobe's support for it, but I have not had luck finding the link. That is the trouble with an older-guy's memory. I can still recall having read of something, but then, tracking it back down is beyond me. The gray-matter is hardening, and it seems that there is nothing that I can do about that.

Here is the link to the 'accidental' promise to support the Internet's supposedly 100% free video st...... And you're not really old until you're past 80, Bill.

Bill Hunt wrote:

... However, I do cringe, when a corporation, such as Sony, locks up everything, and charges tons of $ for anyone to do, say BD through a replicator. Still, they won the war, and "to the victor, go the spoils," so I should not be too surprised.

Well. That's my problem with MPEG-LA. It's basically a far too powerful conglomerate of 'stake'holders (Apple, Sony, Microsoft etc.). They have already been succesful at abusing the ISO standardization system to practically force national governments and others away from open standards saying that open standards (FLAC, Matroska etc.) aren't "sufficiently documented". However, Microsoft were succesful in getting an ISO approval of their far from well-documented alternate Open Document format. Everyone suspected corruption for a very good reason.

MPEG-LA has turned the MPEG4 ISO standards into a money machine. Any piece of hardware or software that makes use of their codec is forced to pay a substantial and endless amount of money. Patents in the IT industry as well as in the health industry are often abused far beyond all reason, but of course that is more of a legislative problem.

However, I have noticed that it looks like Apple has hired some Swedish company to steal the Matroska EBML open standard and turn it into a closed Steve Jobs standard for iTunes with all the well-known features from the Matroska container (I will see if I can find the web site again). But of course, Apple as well as Microsoft has always believed in their exclusive right to steal from others.

... But I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe quickly starts supporting Apple's new format regardless of user requests. They have just revealed just how scared they are of Apple.

The big boys are still allowed to dictate IT legislation in most countries due to a complete lack of IT knowledge among politicians and other decisionmakers. The fact that Microsoft and Apple have been succesful in making their own closed and inferior AIFF and WAVE formats the official storage formats for many national archives at the expense of FLAC is alarming to say the least. No IT-skilled archivists understand why FLAC still hasn't become an official audio storage standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No IT-skilled archivists understand why FLAC still hasn't become an official audio storage standard.

Simple.  Because no one uses it.  Same reason the vastly superior DVD-Audio (using 5.1 channel recording and Mastering) never replaced CDs in the recording industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Archives as well as other institutions working with storage media solutions use Adobe products.

I am sure that Adobe is already aware of that (because occasionally they send their "hired goons" (yes, believe it or not - Adobe can afford that even these days!) out to check if the archives have paid their Adobe license fees (which they had in the episode I am referring to).

These days, external hard drives is THE way to store video and audio content. Support on standalone players isn't something that matters. Storage on DVDs and similar size-limited media isn't recommended either. What matters is that you can store your content in the optimal lossless or near lossless format. FLAC is such a format and it has been so for over 10 years. Adobe is of course aware of that.

Adobe also knows that people would use some of these formats, if the option was available. The fact that WebM support was dropped still indicates that whichever formats Adobe decides to support has nothing to do with public demand. It has much more to do with what their commercial partners want them to support. Public demand is secondary at best if it matters at all. That is why we will NOT see WebM support in any Adobe products. However, we will see the HTML5 features that Apple and other commerical partners like and can make a profit from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Public demand is secondary at best if it matters at all.

Sorry but, history supports the opposite conclusion.  Adobe has been very good at adding format support once it makes it way into professional use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been my observation too, and I've made mention of some of the "once fringe" formats, that have received full support.

Observing on a slightly different front, I see Adobe as a corporation, writing software to sell, offering a monetary return to their stockholders. If something sells, then they adopt it. Unlike a few other software companines, where ideologues are at the helm, directing the corporation to do things, per their bent, Adobe is quite open. I feel that if Adobe could use exclusively open source code, rather than pay Sonic, MPEG-LA, Dolby, et al, royalties, they would. However, they spend their R&D assets, trying to give the customer and potential customer, what they want most.

Where one sees conspiricies (and I thought that I was the ultimate conspiricy theorist), I see a market driven product, or at least one driven by the marketing department's idea of what their market wants.

They tend to shy away from proprietary things, like intermediate CODEC's, that few other programs can even use. Heck, even PSD, Photoshop's "native format" is easily worked with in a ton of image editors, and a few of those are open source, freeware.

Sorry, but I just do not see any conspiracies here - now, if it was the old MS, Oracle, the Jobs' Apple, well there COULD be some?

Still, though I have some Adobe stock in mutual funds, I do not sit on their board, so have no insider info - just feelings and observations, based on almost 2 decades of use of their products.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Vorbis and FLAC have been superiour sound formats for over 10 years, yet Adobe still refuses to support them officially.

Again, same reason.  Cameras and digital audio devices do not record to those formats.  So they just aren't widely used by professionals.

Of course it would be great if H.264 would become the video standard

Uh...it pretty much already is, at least on the web.  That's why I'd like Firefox to support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why you not change a way to think about it ? Now, it can't work.  I suggest you change the video‘s format.  I had similar experience, Every software has it's shortcoming, we  have to use their advantage. there is a video converter software in aovsoft.com. I think it can help you solve problem. Because it support many formats convert, certainly, MKV is Including.

Message was edited by: Fishman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fish_Man,

Though I do not know that software, I agree with you.

I get handed (or did, until I retired) all sorts of "stuff," and will convert, as is needed, to edit in my chosen NLE program. I also have about six other NLE's, that are basically enhanced "conversion" programs, as some handle different "stuff" better, than others. In the end, however, I finish in PrPro, as it does what I like best, and I use the others to get the material into it. I do not expect it to cover ALL bases, and have learned workarounds for odd footage. Maybe I should campaign for PrPro to become an "end-all/be-all," but would rather Adobe concentrate on doing certain things in the best possible, and most stable way.

Just my personal feelings,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a lossless FLAC copy of a file, which you need to edit, you do not want to convert it. You want to keep it as a FLAC file.

If you have a crystal clear HD recording in H.264 high profile format, you want to store it in a container that will store the video that gives you the best quality per megabyte spent. Matroska is the best choice. Matroska will also let you keep the AC3 audio without having to pay extra for an AC3 plugin (required to get AC3 sound in MP4/M4V files).

If it comes to a draw between MP4/M4V and MKV, you should still pick MKV, if you want to embed indices, subtitles and multiple audio streams. Especially if you want to be sure that your recipients will be able to play the file with all the features.

But if you do not work in a multilingual business, or if you do not have to think about storage vs. quality optimmization or the risk of future license fee demands, and if you are not delivering data to an end user, you can of course pick any format you like, or the format that someone has ordered you to use no matter if that is the optimal container choice or not.

In most cases, professionals simply use the formats they are told to use, or the formats that their product suppliers want them to use.

Nobody makes a profit on FLAC or Matroska licenses, because there are none. But they are still the better choices for audio and video storage, no matter what Adobe, Canon or Sony says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines