• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 MKV support?

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2008 Aug 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to get Adobe Premiere to support MKV files or it simply just doesn't support it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 174 Replies 174
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a video editor

So why comment on an issue about adding MKV editing support to an NLE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why comment on an issue about adding MKV editing support to an NLE?

Because I am in charge of IT operation in this company, and someone asked me how to import our demuxed MKV into their premiere. I said I don't know since we use F, and I can drag raw demuxed data into them, but I will take a look. Then I found a bunch of so called themselves as professionals.

That's probably true (for now).  But cinema editors probably make up a pretty small percentage of professional editors, which includes all people getting paid to edit media to a professional standard of quality

LOL.. then I don't know who are the professional editors that's "getting paid to edit media to a professional standard of quality" you mentioned above if you don't consider us. Those who use cheap 1K camera for home use and edit encoded material? Or those who edit movies for tv and cinema by highest 8K resolution uncompressed image sequences and raw multiple sound effects for our living? Hell.. Premiere doesn't even support multiple fps rate in one scene. How can you even make a slow mo there? Bullet effect? mixing 3D generated explosion effect with real life scenes?

Those who edit video for our living doesn't use premiere. But when we send our edited material for DVD printing or Blu Ray printing, we must ensure that premiere can read them. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I am in charge of IT operation in this company, and someone asked me how to import our demuxed MKV into their premiere.

Good answer.  You got me on that one.

But it does beg the question, is it really OK with you for people to be editing your (I assume copyrighted) media?

I don't know who are the professional editors...if you don't consider us.

I didn't say I don't consider you.  Just said that professional editors working at that level are only a small segment of professional editors.  Does that include the home video maker uploading to YouTube and Facebook?  I'd say for the most part, no.  They don't get paid, and their quality standards aren't quite at a professional level.  But when you consider every corporate/event/independent editor out there, it's a much larger market segment than ACE membership.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Because I am in charge of IT operation in this company, and someone asked me how to import our demuxed MKV into their premiere.

Good answer.  You got me on that one.

But it does beg the question, is it really OK with you for people to be editing your (I assume copyrighted) media?

I don't know who are the professional editors...if you don't consider us.

I didn't say I don't consider you.  Just said that professional editors working at that level are only a small segment of professional editors.  Does that include the home video maker uploading to YouTube and Facebook?  I'd say for the most part, no.  They don't get paid, and their quality standards aren't quite at a professional level.  But when you consider every corporate/event/independent editor out there, it's a much larger market segment than ACE membership.

You don't know and you claim yourself as professional? There are many kinds of company at work here.. but the prime companies are publisher and producer. We are at producer, and we need to work with publishers. They merely combine our "edited" and "finished" movie to production level for publishing. For consumer. I think I've told you numerous times that Premiere can't edit professional video. No matter what they do they won't be able to alter our movie on some level with consumer level software like premiere. No consumer level equipment Blu ray or anything that able to play our "finished" product, save editing them, including Premiere. It is from professional camera, resulting in professional format in a ridiculously high resolution and file. So don't go telling people that Premiere only support Professional cameras because being used by Professional people and tell them to shoo, go get Elements. It's a BS.

Sure.. no facebook or youtube. Mostly we shoot our own scenes, but that doesn't mean that we don't need mkv, especially that mkv able to contain multiple raw uncompressed streams. Raw means that they are still in their original form, untouched, unmodified by encoders like H264, mpeg, or whatever it is. Something that we can just demux and edit. 

And no.. we don't edit MKV. MKV is like a briefcase, and it is convenient if you can open that briefcase and working on every paper inside without having to put them into another "compatible" briefcase. You can't edit briefcase, but you should be able to edit what is inside that briefcase without wrap them in another briefcase. Preferably, store them back in that same briefcase. Think MKV like a playable ZIP file.

I am not criticize premiere here.. I just don't like people claiming themselves something that they don't and brand other people that differ from them as not. Premiere is NOT a professional video editor. It IS a video editor, and for consumer. That's why they have consumer level output, and able to read some professional format. Not adding MKV is only an excuse. There is no correlation between professional or not about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only file container alternative to MKV is MXF, but since there are still substantial functionality limitations to MXF (i.e. lossless audio and video code support, chapter support, streaming support, attachment support, 3D support not to mention hardware and software support), it is above discussion that Matroska is the logical choice for anyone who wishes to store content in a playable format without having to re-encode the original content.

I am not aware of the number of lossless audio and video codecs currently supported by Premiere Pro, but I do know that MKVmerge (the official (free) Matroska editing tool) will allow you to add any (lossless) stream format that I know of and simply merge it into the MKV container. You can add indexes, additional audio, video or 'odd' content, subtitles etc. without reencoding the data. The resulting file might not be playable on average standalone hardware, but the content remains intact.

If Adobe has no commercial interest in supporting the best (most versatile) container format, then it would be easier if they just said that instead of making up all sorts of excuses (i.e. "not an ISO standard", "piracy format", "lack of user interest" etc.). But it seems reasonable to assume that a substantial number of Premiere Pro users would actually start using MKV if they were given the option.

The fact that MKV has become so popular despite the lack of support by several 'major' hardware manufacturers, indicates that it serves a number of requirements that no other format supports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EuroSiti wrote:

The only file container alternative to MKV is MXF, but since there are still substantial functionality limitations to MXF (i.e. lossless audio and video code support, chapter support, streaming support, attachment support, 3D support not to mention hardware and software support), it is above discussion that Matroska is the logical choice for anyone who wishes to store content in a playable format without having to re-encode the original content.

I am not aware of the number of lossless audio and video codecs currently supported by Premiere Pro, but I do know that MKVmerge (the official (free) Matroska editing tool) will allow you to add any (lossless) stream format that I know of and simply merge it into the MKV container. You can add indexes, additional audio, video or 'odd' content, subtitles etc. without reencoding the data. The resulting file might not be playable on average standalone hardware, but the content remains intact.

If Adobe has no commercial interest in supporting the best (most versatile) container format, then it would be easier if they just said that instead of making up all sorts of excuses (i.e. "not an ISO standard", "piracy format", "lack of user interest" etc.). But it seems reasonable to assume that a substantial number of Premiere Pro users would actually start using MKV if they were given the option.

The fact that MKV has become so popular despite the lack of support by several 'major' hardware manufacturers, indicates that it serves a number of requirements that no other format supports.

LOL yeah.. that's what I like about MKV. It can store anything there. ANYTHING.. It chewed anything I've put no matter what. With the industry goes 3D, Matroska is the only viable container that we can use. With MXF is starting to show its age, the choice is torn between 10 raw files or 1 MKV file. Playable or not is a second concern for us. Our joined materials are not meant to be played anyway. They can audit the content right away and demux them easily if they want to cut some scenes they don't like or remove something that can raise our MR unnecessarily without hampering the quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next time I see a personal attack on this thread, I'm locking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to Necropost... but does anyone know if that Avisynth plugin works on CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't know and you claim yourself as professional?

You lost me.  I don't know what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[personal attack removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would humbly (and respectfully) disagree with the statement that Premiere is not for professional editors. In 2010, the BBC switched all 2000 of their editing/postproduction workstations over to Adobe Creative Suite. All BBC content was subsequently edited with Premiere Pro (CS5/CS6), and they seemed to make it work just fine. I recently started working with CS5, and I actually prefer it to Final Cut Pro, which I've previously used on a variety of professional projects including a feature documentary. Premiere Pro is a surprisingly powerful program.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.. since your output is consumer level output. A HD content to be consumed by consumer. You can do that with premiere. You can freeze frame, and then zoom in/out, yes.. no problem with those basic editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to be consumed by consumer.

Isn't all the work we do eventually supposed to be seen by the 'consumer'?  Hell, movie studios exist for the very purpose of getting as many 'consumers' as possible to watch their products.  They love it when we do.  They keep track of how many of us do (and when we don't).  That entire industry is driven by getting us consumers to consume their product.

And if you think PP is only capable of basic editing like freeze frames and zooms, you clearly aren't very familiar with the software.

Now I'm not arguing that Premiere Pro is the most capable NLE on the market, nor that it should be the cinema editor's first choice when it comes to cutting something like "The Avengers".  (At least, not yet.)  But cinema is only one level of "professional".  There are many levels of "professional" below that of the cinema editor.  Broadcast being just one example.  Few people in this industry would argue that BBC employees aren't "professionals".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2012 Jun 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have answered that. the second time I answer you, it got deleted. But I noted again, that you clearly don't understand how pro work and yet you again claimed as professionals. If one work in this field, at least he should know where he get his footage from, and where he should send his work to, and understand his work area. And I note again that Premiere is at Pro to Consumer stage product. Therefore it is a consumer product. And no.. we don't work for our consumers to watch our movie. We work so that Universal Pictures agrees to import our footage into their Premiere Pro and distribute them so that you can watch them. It's THEIR work, not ours. Where do they want to deliver, be it BBC, DVD, or anything, it's up to them. They paid us, and after we send our work, they advertise, create trailers, and many things from our work using Premiere Pro for consumers. We sit, enjoy, and wait. Therefore, again, it is consumer product.

I am not the editor, so yes, I am not familiar. But.. well, speaking avenger, can you mixed multiple framerate shots into 1 timeline with premiere pro then apply another effect filter in different framerate? Or perhaps combine 2 kind of overlapping frames in different rate by masking them? Say.. 25fps background with 480fps foreground perhaps? Add another animated 3D actor in 30 fps 3D render scene modified to 480fps to accompany that 480fps foreground sequence? Then render them in 29.97 film? Oh.. I forgot.. Premiere Pro can't import 3D files. May be in your term Calculus is not basic, but in our area, calculus is something that goes without saying. You haven't seen what other movie editor software can do. Avenger was hard to make, yes.. but only a routine work.

Want to know our work? Consider this. Lasso a tree at 25fps background and replace it with a live 30fps sequence, then add a 30fps animated sequence then within 3 secs climbing gradually to 120fps, kicking it in slow motion, then just before the kick connects goes back to 30fps to let the tree shakes. Then render them in 29.97 film. Avenger? Maybe I can hear some complaints for something like that, but clearly not from editors. Avenger is harder to make, but that's not work for movie editors. Those are for 3D maker. They deliver the finished scene to us to merge with other clips. And those routines combining them are pretty basic. As for the one kicking the trees, those responsible to make that animation and effects are the one that suffers, not the editors. Same thing goes for those explosions and effects. We can't expect for Adobe Premiere or any movie editor softwares to have that kind of effects, can we? I they can't, we have to create. And again, that's not editors' job.

May be, BBC are professionals, but again, they are pro to consumer. And maybe, in their field, Premiere is better suited. But clearly not ours.

And if you are profesional enough, or want to become one, one thing you have to understand and remember in your every being, is that you HAVE TO work with other people in their respective field. Editing something to produce movie like Avenger is a stupid idea. You need to GENERATE some scenes, not to EDIT them. And that's definitely not your work. That why we are called profesionals. On the other hand, I do help both division since I am in charge of both their equipment, and I can't let them tinkering my equipment because I am a pro in my own field. A real Pro wouldn't step on other Pro's shoes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not the editor, so yes, I am not familiar.

I think that says it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet I remain curious as to why Adobe refuses to supprt the Matroska container. Lossless preservation - or at least an absolute minimum of altering and conversion - should always be the goal to strive for. Not least for a company that pretends to set standards high in other areas. Why cripple their software with these odd limitations? I just don't see the point - and given the fact that Adobe has never bothered to explain it. But I am sure it can't be license costs, because Matroska support is absolutely free.

... Isn't Avid more like the state of the art in terms of professional editing, by the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet I remain curious as to why Adobe refuses to supprt the Matroska container.

Unfortunately, that is a question, that we mere users cannot answer. We could only speculate (as has been done above), and we might get it right, but we cannot know, until an Adobe employee, on the team, such as Kevin, Todd, Dennis, or others, weigh in. However, Adobe has always been pretty tight-lipped about what they are working on, and what they hope to implement, so we might not get an answer, until such time as MKV support has been added.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, they only feed us with excuses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remain curious as to why Adobe refuses to supprt the Matroska container.

What makes you think they refuse?  Just because something hasn't been done on your schedule doesn't mean it never will be.

I've said in the past and still maintain that when enough professionals request this feature, Adobe will listen and implement it.

Right now, MKV remains barely a blip on the professional radar.  No cameras use it.  No standardized delivery media use it.  It's just not requested all that much, according to one employee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

I think that says it all.

Yep... I am an IT guy. I think I've made that notion clearly. And it is my responsibility to provide THE BEST software environment to our company. So, if they ask for F or V,  A, or PP I'll be happy to comply. So, you want to rant about how good and pro PP is that doesn't need MKV, go rant to professional editors. They ask, I comply.

Jim Simon wrote:

I remain curious as to why Adobe refuses to supprt the Matroska container.

What makes you think they refuse?  Just because something hasn't been done on your schedule doesn't mean it never will be.

I've said in the past and still maintain that when enough professionals request this feature, Adobe will listen and implement it.

Right now, MKV remains barely a blip on the professional radar.  No cameras use it.  No standardized delivery media use it.  It's just not requested all that much, according to one employee.

Really? No camera support? Delivery media? Do you think profesional only work on camera? What about Maya? What about autodesks? What about stills, what about youtube? What about commercials? Do you think a computer in college student's room has profesional clip going on while they are dating, or a simple web page with youtube movie playing? Or a car driven by a mafia boss on the road has a profesional camera thing to be played? Is there any profesional here that use encoded delivery media like PP do?  Stop saying it is professional thing. You don't even know how we work but you are saying over and over that pro doesn't need that.

There are reason why pro won't ask Adobe, that it is not worth our time. It is a welcome addition, but doesn't even worth our time to request it. Why? Even if we get through a hassle to requested it, and even if, a very big if, Adobe promise to make it into his product, will our timeline flexible enough to work with Adobe's workaround? What is Adobe's timeline? 3 months? 6 months? How much time needed to dump PP and buy another editing software. 3 hours tops. Just rush a paper to finance department, fax another paper, problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think profesional only work on camera?

No.  But I do think the overwhelming majority of the visual media used in NLEs is camera originated.  And I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of computer generated media comes in the form of MOV or AVI, MXF,  DPX and OpenEXR files.

you are saying over and over that pro doesn't need that.

No, what I keep saying is that right now, it's not much used by professionals, and that when enough people request it of Adobe, then support for MKV files will likely show up in the software.

If the software doesn't meet your needs, even with MKV support, then go ahead and use something else.  PP is far from the perfect NLE for every professional, especially the cinema editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Do you think profesional only work on camera?

No.  But I do think the overwhelming majority of the visual media used in NLEs is camera originated.  And I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of computer generated media comes in the form of MOV or AVI, MXF,  DPX and OpenEXR files.

you are saying over and over that pro doesn't need that.

No, what I keep saying is that right now, it's not much used by professionals, and that when enough people request it of Adobe, then support for MKV files will likely show up in the software.

If the software doesn't meet your needs, even with MKV support, then go ahead and use something else.  PP is far from the perfect NLE for every professional, especially the cinema editor.

LOL.. yes.. overwhelming consumer grade media are camera originated and container based. That much is correct. As this comment below regarding Avid is ridiculously hilarious

A lot of professionals who actually do use the software and are familiar with it's capabilities would disagree with you on that one, I think.

Avid is professional tools, that much is certain. But.. ROFL.. I don't know how I can tell you about this, but well, hope you learn after this that they are hardly a software. ROFL..  and you tell me that they would disagree with me. Hahaha.

If those familiar with its capabilities and disagrees with me, then there are only 2 reasons.. First... they don't know that Avid is not only software since they never heard of it, and second, they are blind enough to see the shiny brand stamped on the stuff right on their nose. ROFL

And they support MKV. Thanks.. that comment made my day.

[Personal comment deleted]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Enough.  Thread locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EuroSiti wrote:

Yet I remain curious as to why Adobe refuses to supprt the Matroska container. Lossless preservation - or at least an absolute minimum of altering and conversion - should always be the goal to strive for. Not least for a company that pretends to set standards high in other areas. Why cripple their software with these odd limitations? I just don't see the point - and given the fact that Adobe has never bothered to explain it. But I am sure it can't be license costs, because Matroska support is absolutely free.

... Isn't Avid more like the state of the art in terms of professional editing, by the way?

LOL. Yes.. but I wouldn't call them as professional editing software. The term here is "software"

Oh, and Avid support MKV. They already know that mxf is old and can't cope with modern technology any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't call them as professional editing software. The term here is "software"

A lot of professionals who actually do use the software and are familiar with it's capabilities would disagree with you on that one, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines