• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR Graphics White Settings — Which is Standard? or Use "Match this property to the source video?"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For most things, ignore it.", how do I ignore it? All of a sudden it is there and I have to choose one of the three options. Which one is standard? Or do I check the box next to it that says "Match this property to the source video"?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working in SDR, in a Rec.709 sequence, it's not of any consequence at all ... so therefore, yes, ignore it.

It is ONLY something to pay attention to IF you are working HDR media on an HDR timeline. Which is still fraught with difficulty as so few monitors, TVs, or other screens actually go above 500 nits or so brightness to be even close to actual HDR status, no matter what they say in their marketing blurbs.

Very few pro colorists have yet to even do a full HDR show of any kind. Even in broadcast/streaming land, it's still the odd duck. It's coming at us pretty soon I would expect, but that's still "soon" as over say the next three years.

As to which ... if you are actually working an HDR timeline ... the 203 would be the normal choice. In reality, for best HDR work, you only slightly lift the midtones and highs. The vast majority of that immense added brightness area is only for 'speculars', the bright flashes of reflected light off a shiny object or direct light from an exposed light source.

The biggest gain of HDR, according to the colorists who actually teach the DollbyLabs in-house training on how to use DolbyVision HDR ... is the ability to separate the shadow details to more effectively use the shadows. Because of the slightly lifted mids, you have a lot more 'values' in the shadows to use for effect.

It isn't just making it brighter over-all.

The second big gain can be more control over saturation levels in those now deeper shadows, and between shadows/mids/highlights/speculars.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ok, I did not even notice it when I created a new project. Well never the less, when I export my video it does effect the light in the video, it's mutch brigther in the sun parts? I can't turn it off when export the video? What am I doing wrong? I expect i'ts my settings some how.... Am I in some HDR mode? My video is 1080.

Thanks in advance.

/thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to the Project panel, check the clip properties. If you see color space HLG, then ... that needs to be modded to Rec.709 unless you want to work in HDR.

That's the right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage step so heavily discussed with Pr 2022.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could have simply said, "Pick the lowest setting because almost nobody has the tech to use the high settings yet." 
Would have saved all these folks tons of minutes trying to understand acronyms which mean nothing to them. Basically, "in English please - which botton should I choose". 

Not everyone is in the industry and even many professionals can keep up with the constant techno jargon. Yeah, it's millenialism, but time is money. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What part of "This is ONLY of use if you are working full HDR projects ... which very few are. For most things, ignore it." do people not understand?
Why does everything have to be a fight these days? Maybe if you don't understand an answer fully you need to improve your basic knowledge rather than attack the person who's trying to inform you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, I don't think you understood what I wrote. This is not about fighting or arguing. I've been doing this since 1997 with Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro, then later to Premiere after it finally stabilized and have years of experience in both production and post production and I know what most of the acronyms mean... however, many people don't know and they may need to get a quick answer due to some deadline or whatever, and they may not have the time for a classroom discussion on the technicalities. Furthermore, even you I reckon have and will continue to have questions that need to be answered asap because you also might have a deadline at the 11th hour. 

"maybe if you don't understand you need to improve your basic knowledge..." DOES NOT HELP the situation. Obviously this is necessary and obviously that person will inevitably improve his/her basic knowledge over time. But right at that moment, he/she may just need a quick efficient response. It's not different than you as a user telling adobe why this or that funcion doesn't exist or why doesn't it work the way you thought it would...then the adobe guy writes ten paragraphs with a bunch of jargon that in the end, you may only understand 50%...then that adobe guy tells you to 'improve your basic knowledge if you don't understand the simple acronyms'. 

Now if you are saying that you know everything and are never in a situation where you need any quick help for a deadline...hats off to you man. There's a time to self enrich and go deeper into subjects... and there's times when one might just need a quick answer without technical details. - "the left pedal stops the car, the right pedal to move - becareful not to press too hard to fast or you may lose control" <---- something like this for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the quick, easy answer was there - "This is ONLY of use if you are working full HDR projects ... which very few are. For most things, ignore it." And it was even reinforced in the follow-up reply.
People seem to want to resort to aggressive responses all the time which isn't helpful to anyone.
I certainly don't know everything and I do regularly seek help but I would be very reluctant to offer help because it seems that, if it isn't presented in exactly the way people want, all you get in response if grief.
I wasn't responding to your comment specifically but actually your point of, "Pick the lowest setting because almost nobody has the tech to use the high settings yet." is wrong. The right answer is to just ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you and I know that. But the inquisitor was not aware about the HDR acronym or its ramifications. That's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the quick and easy answer was to "ignore it." Which means don't fiddle around with any of the 3 options, and don't write letters to Adobe asking for a way to prevent the HDR settings from disturbing your sleep. It means "ignore this option" unless you're in an HDR workflow. IGNORE IT AND MOVE ON.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines