Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to frameserve from Premiere CS5?

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dears,

since Debugmode Frameserver is not working in Premiere CS5, also Avisynth is not working with CS5 version nor ProCoder and CCE doesn't have export plugin for Premiere CS5, my question is do we have option to frameserve Premiere timeline to some external coder or only encoding workflow (for DVD - MPEG2) is using Adobe Media Encoder?

Please, share your experience with encoding and frameserving.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 159 Replies 159
Advocate ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Display Aspect Ratio' setting is at the top left. The 'Frame Size' setting is more a method of how it handles the aspect ratio. I agree that the semantics have gotten a little skewed in this version. They really let this horse out of the barn too soon, if the CS5 plugin is anything to judge by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you guys know i tested the latest frameserver with the new TMPGenc 5 and it works wonderfully well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys. Have been following this thread since December 2010

Sounds pretty cool that someone continues the development work of the "old" Debugmode Frameserver" for CS5.

Is there any chance to get the current (beta) version somehow in order to experiment with it?

If so could you plsPM me or whatever it takes in order to direct me to where this baby can be found

Thanks a lot. The community rocks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's limited to the group of testers right now. We should have the real deal very soon; I've not encountered any real bugs in the latest version. We'll start a new thread here once the official is released with all the relevant information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2011 Feb 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An informal poll of those of you using the current beta release of the Advanced Frameserver:

1) Personally, I find the fracturing of the frameserver settings across three tabs in the Export Settings window noisome. To me, since this plug-in is all about speed (theoretically) and ease-of-use, I find it unnecessarily "clicky" to go from tab to tab to change or verify settings.

What I'd like to see is the Video and Audio tabs eliminated, and the options contained on those tabs moved to the Frameserver tab. This more closely replicates the way which these options were presented in the original DMFS. I'm not saying we need a pop-up like in the original DMFS; I'm just suggesting that since we're not really encoding video or audio as you would with a more standard export module, and rather are "serving frames," it would be more logical to simplify the tabs and options.

I've brought this up before with the gentleman corresponding with the programmer, but it seems to have been ignored. I'm not attempting to be autocratic here, but I'm trying to streamline this plug-in for the masses, and before we have a final version released, I'd like to open a bit of discussion on it.

2) Another issue I brought up is the reference of the frameserving time-out being labeled as "autoclose." I think that native English speakers would agree that this has a different connotation than something like "auto-stop." I politicked for this one before, since we had "autostop," "autoclose," and "auto-close" in various parts of the interface--unfortunately, in this version, it's all "autoclose." What say you, People of the Forum?

Beyond that I think the frameserver is functionally complete and stable. I suspect that this will be the last version we'll see of the AFS, once it is released; unless something breaks in a later Premiere update, there really won't be much need for revision of this plug-in. This would be a good time to make any cosmetic changes, though, so if anyone has any thoughts of what they'd like to see modified in the plug-in, let's open up the table for discussion now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) -1

2) +1

For 1), I think the Video/Audio tabs need to stay, if only for UI consistency.  I agree that it's "clicky" having so few options on each tab, but the current layout fully addresses consistency during export.  Additionally, the point may be moot if the SDK doesn't allow elimination of the Video/Audio tabs, instead only allowing additional tabs.  I don't know if that's the case, but I'm tossing out the idea as something to consider.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, the point may be moot if the SDK doesn't allow elimination of the Video/Audio tabs, instead only allowing additional tabs.  I don't know if that's the case, but I'm tossing out the idea as something to consider.

I don't believe that's the case. Change the Format dropdown to one of the image formats, e.g. Windows Bitmap: you have Filters, Video, and FTP. Change the Format to one of the audio-only formats, e.g. Windows Waveform: you have Audio and FTP. So, while I can't say definitively that you can eliminate both the Audio and Video tabs, it's clear you don't need them both.

Regardless, I think your point is valid, even if I don't agree That's why I wanted to get some discussion on this; I'm not trying to be a whiny baby, expecting my way to be the only way. I still feel there are too many tabs there; the FTP tab is pointless and should be killed (if possible), and even if things aren't whittled down to one "Frameserver" tab, I think the options on the "Frameserver" tab should be moved to the Video tab, at the least. This maintains the Audio/Video tab convention, but still simplifies the options and usage of them. Discuss!

Regarding the "autoclose" issue, here's how I'd like to see it in the UI:

1) The checkbox for enabling the timeout should say something like "Stop serving when idle"

2) "Idle timeout" is fine, but should perhaps have the addition of the time scale, and eliminate the slider bar, so that it says "Idle Timeout : 000 seconds." I think the slider bar is unnecessary UI clutter; I just click and type in the hot-text anyway.

3) Up in the Output Summary, the "autoclose" text should say "Continue serving when idle" and "Stop serving when idle for XX seconds." The same should be displayed in the AME queue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

even if things aren't whittled down to one "Frameserver" tab, I think the options on the "Frameserver" tab should be moved to the Video tab, at the least. This maintains the Audio/Video tab convention, but still simplifies the options and usage of them.

I vote for that.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but it seems to have been ignored.

No...   You are absolutely wrong. This does not so.

Personally, I think that when all separated by tabs, and it split into logical parts (video, audio, and settings relating exclusively to the functionality of AFS), is much easier to navigate. For a quick overview of the settings, there is a section summary:http://s005.radikal.ru/i211/1102/86/8e2cfdda57fb.jpg

where you can quickly see the current export settings. If you do not like to switch by tabs, you can create a preset exports. And just use it in two clicks.
But I respect
opinions of the peoples around me, and I am ready to accept the democratic decision. So with great interest, I will follow this topic about this issue.

Colin, you helped me a lot, and now I do not want, what would you think that I'm ignoring your wishes, and so even though which opinions will dominate, I do ask for you AFS with all options on one tab.

And of course I will not dispute with an English speaking person, like properly in English are called things. We will change autoclose on ....
Actually, on what to change it? I do not exactly understand your words in the previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

overview of the settings, there is a section summary: where you can quickly see the current export settings.

Here's the thing: I usually have the Summary twirled up/hidden, because it takes up space for more important things like the actual settings in the tabs. But yes, your point is valid.

If you do not like to switch by tabs, you can create a preset exports. And just use it in two clicks.

Yes, I do that too. However, I've been doing a lot of testing with various settings in the Frameserver, so presets aren't always good options. I just want to tick a few things here and there, and then do another test. But you're correct: for regular use, Presets are the best approach.

what would you think that I'm ignoring your wishes, and so even though which opinions will dominate, I do ask for you AFS with all options on one tab.

No, there's no need to do that! And my point was just that I wished to have conversation about it, as we are doing now. I am willing to accept when I'm wrong... most of the time So don't worry about a specific version based on my own view of it; I will submit to the will of the majority.

Actually, on what to change it? I do not exactly understand your words in the previous post.

Well, I'd like to get some other opinions on it, but I've offered a couple of ideas in response to Jeff's reply above. Before we change anything, let's get some more ideas from other testers. I just want the text to be as clear and obvious as it can be based on the function of the frameserver.

Thanks for your reply--no hard feelings!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's amazing how this gentleman from Ukraine communicates with all of you here on this form, I mean just imagine this scenario, speaking to someone in Tokyo and only rely on google to translate your writings and readings while developing and collecting funds for a program that might or might not end up working? This guy has talent, I'm glad to see this kind of international interactivity between the members in this helpfull Adobe community.  Hope it doesnt end here.

P.S I also have the FrameServer so Im not quite of topic

Tony :O)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

I was just wondering if there is any news on the development of this plugin? It's been a bit quiet lately...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Taravasya,

I wonder what the state of play of Advanced Frame Server is? It all seems to have stalled a little...

I contributed a little to the project, and am using the last released version.

Is that the final version? If so when will it go to Satish for public release??

Will there be an update for CS5.5?

Cheers

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say it's stalled; there's just not that much to do. By the way, I'm about as in the loop as you at this point

This will probably not be released as Debugmode Frameserver; this is a completely rewritten plug-in now. DMFS est mort, vive le AFS.

AFS works just fine in CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i just downloaded AFS from softpedia

it's a 620kb file...

is this the official release because it is actually available?

where can you find documentation about how to use AFS effectively?

i am  a nyc English teacher for special needs students

and really want to get good at this before school starts in september...

thank you so much for any help

congrats on the project!!!

jeffrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...it's the same version number as the last release that I received an email about, and the size of the install file matches the last file I downloaded, so it looks like it's the final.

As far as instructions, there haven't been any all along. You simply double-click the installation EXE, and when you encode a timeline in Premiere, you'll see a new option for Advanced Frameserver. Really the only thing you can or need to alter is the location of the exported AVI "pointer file". Then, locate that file and use it as you would any other AVI.

Remember that it only lives as long as it's being exported from PPro via the AFS. Shut either of those down and it goes away.

Steve Brame

creative illusions Productions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

this might be an ultradumb question

but would be cool if it worked i think:

is there anyway to frameserve from PPRO cs5.03 and/or AE

to OCTANE to take advantage of the efficient gpu rendering OCTANE does

or is OCTANE a completely different type of rendering program?

all i want it for is 2d canon mts avchd files into various 2d output formats...

like i said, this may be a screwedup question...

thanks in advance,

jeffrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

Octane renders (makes 2d photo-realistic pics) using 3d geometry ex polygon meshes (.obj format) imported from modelling apps like

Maya, Max,

Sketchup or Blender.
It has nothing to do with video editing or compositing as such although you might use the rendered images or animation sequences produced by Octane in a video.

you can render images in octane then bring them into AE

but the workflow doesn't go the other way...

jeffrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello mark! Sorry for such a long silence. I have some problems with this community:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/825974

-------------------------

I think final and open source release, will appear in June, maybe in July.

About CS5.5 AFS work in this version normally.

------------------------

Colin what about performance of AFS with single thrided coders? It`s now better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just used the frameserve for the first time yesterday and it worked great!  Thank you so much to everyone who was involved in creating it.  You guys are lifesavers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that this version of frameserver is reserved ONLY for people who already paid to developer for it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, until it's officially released, that is correct.  Once released, it will available as an open-source application under the GNU General Public License.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using AFS, what Color space to use in the Video tab? For example, why RGB24 and why not YUY2 or vice versa?

Planning to test it with ProCoder 3, Squeeze 7 and maybe TMPGEnc. Do different encoders require different color spaces?

/Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about specific color space specs, but can report that AFS works beautifully with Squeeze 7. I use it many times daily.

Steve B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger,

The different color spaces allow you to match the output of the frameserver to the target application's color space.  A perfect example is serving to HC Encoder.  It only accepts YV12 and YUY2, so RGB24/32 wouldn't work at all.  Plus, if the target app only works with one color space, for example if it imports any footage but converts everything to RGB24, then you would be introducing an unnecessary color space conversion by sending it YUY2 footage.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines