• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

News on Premiere Next at Adobe Max

Advocate ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join us today at our #AdobeMAX keynote, live at 9:30 a.m. PT with CEO Shantanu Narayen and SVP @DWadhwani: http://adobe.ly/AdobeNext

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1857 Replies 1857
Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

You don't get a choice. So now what? Use old software until you just can't use it anymore for one reason or another? Learn something new?

In any case... you don't get a choice. Too bad. That's the way the ball bounces. This time in bounced in other people's favor, not yours.

Perhaps it is sad, but as they say, it is what it is. Until it isn't.

The ball certainly didn't bounce in Adobe's favor with the number of customers they have now alienated and $ they won't receive from perpertual license upgraders.

Many forget that Adobe advertised they were all about Choice. Until CC of course..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

The argument is many adobe users simply do not want to pay a subscription of any amount.

And I'm saying, that's not rational.  It ignores the very real benefits of not only the current version of the software, which are numerous and will only expand, but also the benefits of the subscription model, which are being realized.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face.  It's a child's tantrum, nothing more, if you leave the price out of it.

Not a child's tantrum at all. Perpertual license upgraders wanted to spend $. Just not in subscription based model. Subscription based models and the benefits of the software  don't go hand in hand for many.

As many have said - the features will never out weigh the removal of choice from a company who once advertised they were all about Choice for the customers.

I have also said before I would have been fine with a 2x or 3x increase of cost for the perpertual license as a choice.

Many people will never pay for subcription based software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Far more people think that 2x or 3x the cost is crazy than think your way. If there are more than a few of you out there that think that way I would be quite surprised.

The low entrance costs to using the software will capture way more customers over time than a $2500 outlay just to start.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Circles

This thread.

CC is for newbies to Adobe and for users who should know better.

Established non subsidised users are screwed financially, the maths have shown that for months.

The argument about receiving updates regularly just do not stack up, and yes you are beta testers.   Adobes track record in the past shows that, hey they could not be bothered to sort out the AVCHD bug in CS6

There have been functionality changes specifically for FCP users and even dyed in the wool CC advocate Jim Simon adversely comments about it in a thread on the PP section.

COL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>could not be bothered to sort out the AVCHD bug in CS6

According to this, that is no longer true http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5629

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Col,

Stick to accurate facts or even interesting opinions. Don't waste time on incorrect information.  The AVCHD bug is old news. There are plenty more to complain about except - wait - you would not know about them first-hand because you don't use the new software.

That said, there are always going to be changes that even the most loyal Adobe fans, like me, or Jim, are going to object to. It happens.

We cry about it a bit, put in the bug reports or feature requests, and we move on.

Complaining about the subscription process, when it is the direction that allows Adobe to do what it really wants to do, is not really ever going to be productive. Besides, lots of us are quite happy about the price, and even happier about the new features.

Do we like paying for beta software? No. But hopefully Adobe will figure out the testing issues with rapid feature deployment eventually. Give it some time. This is new to them also.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perpertual license upgraders wanted to spend $. Just not in subscription based model.

And what practical difference does it make, leaving the amounts of money out of it?

Answer: None

I have also said before I would have been fine with a 2x or 3x increase of cost for the perpertual license as a choice.

And that is every bit as irrational as refusing to pay even $1/month for the subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been functionality changes specifically for FCP users and even dyed in the wool CC advocate Jim Simon adversely comments about it in a thread on the PP section.

That's true, but it doesn't negate any of the truly useful new features that have been added since CC came out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what practical difference does it make, leaving the amounts of money out of it?

No, Jim. The answer isn't "none".

Here are a few differences:

-You know exactly how much that software costs you today, next week and for the rest of your life. That's because you paid for it in full. Subscription prices can be anything in the future.

-Adobe might decide to no longer offer a subscription in your region. This already happened to many former clients all over the world. Just like that, you no longer have access to your files.

-You need to get online more often. My workstation with a perpetual license hasn't gone online for two years now. Adobe has the right to force you online whenever they feel like it.

-Adobe can remove features that you need from the programs. Those features are then gone for good. With perpetual licenses you can simply keep the version that works for you.

-Adobe can first loose your credit card information to criminals and then deactivate your software because your credit card couldn't be charged (just read the forum horror stories about this one)

-You don't have a realistic way of voting with your wallet, since by definition you need to pay for every upgrade when your subscribing.

Finally let me ask you this Jim: Would you be happy to pay subscription fees for your operating systems (both desktop and mobile) as well? If that wouldn't make you jump for joy, then maybe you should stop calling people irrational for not wanting to do the same thing with CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the subject is to be discussed without money involved, how can your first answer be all about the money?

What regions has Adobe decided not to sell in and where did you get that information please?

And if you don't know that when you get a new credit card number to change all of your accounts over, that's just sad. (I had to go through that when my new cards arrived this last week. Citi decided that I needed a new account number. It took me a while to change every site where that is registered from Adobe & Amazon, all the way to Zappos.com)

Hard to argue with the rest of it. But my system stays online. I just have to pay attention and keep it protected, which does slow it down a tad, I suppose.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the subject is to be discussed without money involved, how can your first answer be all about the money?

The subject was leaving specific amounts of money out of it, which I did. Notice how it doesn't matter if CC costs 1 or 100 dollars per month for my argument to be true, nor does it matter if a perpetual license costs 1000 or 20 000 dollars. The argument is simply that you know exactly how much you are going to pay and you can be certain there is no surprises in the future.

Adobe is not selling CC for individuals or students in the followinf countries:

Bermuda, Aruba, Bolivia, Bosnia, Croatia, Dominican republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Faroe islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Mauritius, Namibia, New caledonia, Nigeria, Orman, Panama, Papua NG, Paraguay, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sri Lanka, Ukraine, Uruguay, Zimbabwe.

All these are listed here: http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/creativecloud/cc/pdfs/cc-availability-matrix.pdf

Notice how there are many countries not in the list at all. These are countries in which you can't use CC even trough resellers. Countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, North Korea, China, Cuba and most of African countries are completely missing. All it takes for the US to sanction your country for one reason or another, and there goes your software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is not selling CC for individuals or students in the followinf countries:

Bermuda, Aruba, Bolivia, Bosnia, Croatia, Dominican republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Faroe islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Mauritius, Namibia, New caledonia, Nigeria, Orman, Panama, Papua NG, Paraguay, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sri Lanka, Ukraine, Uruguay, Zimbabwe.

All these are listed here: http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/creativecloud/cc/pd fs/cc-availability-matrix.pdf

Notice how there are many countries not in the list at all. These are countries in which you can't use CC even trough resellers. Countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, North Korea, China, Cuba and most of African countries are completely missing. All it takes for the US to sanction your country for one reason or another, and there goes your software.

Well I'll be damned. That is just peculiar. I thought perhaps that those are places where people might be inclined to do illegal things with sharing licenses or whatever, but that is a pretty long list, isn't it.

I get that some things might only be available through resellers, especially in countries where credit is a bit shaky, and I get why it might be difficult to verify an educational discount in some countries.  But why in the world couldn't they sell the subscription through a reseller in Greenland of all places? I have never heard a bad word about Greenland. Has anybody? Ever?

I think shooternz bought his through a reseller in New Zealand and it was for one year. I could be wrong on that, but that was my impression. So resellers can be used. But why in the world would everything be available in Korea except for Teams? It doesn't make any sense.

I get that maybe the resellers have not signed up to sell the product. That's possible. But going back to Korea, why can you get the individual and the educational, but not Teams from Adobe.com, yet you can get Teams through a reseller?

Very, very odd. I will have to give you this one, for sure. Wow! I am shocked at that list. I really am.

I am fully aware that many Americans could not care less about what happens outside our borders, and I am certainly happy to have been lucky enough to be born where I was born, but what in the world could be wrong with selling product in Israel? They are a highly technical country, and our ally in the region. They are responsible for large advances in the world we live in today. Heck, they invented the Cell Phone in Israel (for Motorola)!

Israel's Given Imaging developed the first ingestible video camera, so small it fits inside a pill. It is used to view the small intestine from the inside, cancer and digestive disorders. And they are not allowed to use Premiere Pro CC to cut any of the video? Very, very odd.

I don't get it.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange

Gibraltar and the Faroe Isles are hotbeds of piracy and illegal actions.........get real.

All Gibraltar is interested in is keeping with the UK, and working out how to annoy the Spanish.

As for the Faroese, there is only just enough people there to make a couple of football teams and a handful of supporters, they in the other hand are only interested in knitting their sweaters;-)

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

I have never heard a bad word about Greenland. Has anybody?

Only thing bad, related to Greenland is that they should have been called Iceland, so that Iceland could have called themselves Greenland, but the name was already taken... That's about it.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biggles,

I understand that they have an interesting rule for football in the Faroese - for each match, two people have to sit out, so that there will spectators. That "duty" rotates with every match. Once, they DID have 3 spectators, but discovered that the third was a fisherman, who had become lost and washed ashore. When he was re-patriated, they were back down to two spectators.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Perpertual license upgraders wanted to spend $. Just not in subscription based model.

And that is every bit as irrational as refusing to pay even $1/month for the subscription

Many people find it more irrational for a company to ignore customers with $ by taking away their choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it can't be tracked, but I wonder how many people who were paying costomers have gone the pirate route.  All adobe has to do is let people buy old versions.  Even if it were a couple versions back.  They could even make it a rule that to be able to buy an old version you had to be a suscriber for a certian period of time.  Who knows but at least some choice would be better.  Such a shame to lose loyal people.

I for one sure miss Encore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied