Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Oracle...Team Emirates NZ

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.K

Who is supporting who ....come Americas Cup Racing ..starts in 2 days.

Go Kiwis!

Team NZ.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 399 Replies 399
Guide ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if any of those boats will ever get close enough to one another where you hear someone yell, " STARBOARD " to declare right of way ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not suggesting that cheaters should prosper. These were just the only guys out sailing during my lunch hour yesterday.

This was taken at the equivalent of 623mm at 1/400th of a second. So, as you might suspect, it was a long way off in the distance.

Oracle.png

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These guys were out there nearby.

Capture.PNG

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you work down near the waterfront Steven?

Grandstand seats...cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I live in Oakland and my office is in downtown.

However, I cross the bridge quite often to work in the Financial district, which is right near the water. I also pass by Candlestick Park (American Football - home of the 49ers) now and then on my way down towards the airport that Bill is so familiar with. I prefer the long drives to Sacramento. Not much traffic and I get paid to listen to two hours of radio in each direction. And Sacramento has much better radio stations than San Fransico. MUCH better.

I used to leave San Francisco to eat my lunch because I didn't want to pay for parking. That would take me back into Oakland and I would eat at the Plaza across the street. However, I recently realized that stopping at Treasure Island (yes, it was named after the book) gave me a nice view of the bay if it was not too late in the day. Too late and I am fighting the sun in my lens.  Really late and I am better off staying on the San Francisco side.

These shots were taken from the Island.

Edit: The idiots who designed the new Bay Bridge were smart enough to put in a bike path, but too stupid to put it on the Golden Gate Bridge / Alcatraz side of ther bridge. The fools put the path on the Oakland side of the bridge.  Sigh!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been to SF once only...but would like to be there again next week , down on the piers (Pier 69?) eating seafood chowder and watching the boats race.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pier-39-flag.jpg

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That be the place.  39

I really enjoyed SF very much...but that was 15 years ago.

Would love to visit again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 07, 2013 Sep 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife and I make great tour guides. I was raised near LA but she is a local.

The city of San Francisco has many delightful spots. And lots of photo/video opportunities.

From the seashore (not that a Kiwi needs to see more seashore!) to the various docks, up to the top of the hills, the Ghirardelli chocolates, and across the Golden Gate to see the tall Redwoods at Muir Woods, and the houseboats in Sausalito. Up to Bill's Country - sorry - I mean Wine Country - to sample wines that aren't Shiraz. Although apparently NZ has its own wine tours. But our wines tours can be combined with the unequaled marvel of our Sourdough Bread! Even though I prefer to eat my Sourdough bread at Fisherman's Wharf.

The Sea Lions at Pier 39 are truly fun to watch. I could do it for hours on end. Watching the Sea Lions, then the people who are watching the Sea Lions.

I finally saw someone using the big green screen that sits out by Pier 39. It is part of the deal you get with one of the tours apparently. But you can sit and take photographs of people walking past it just for fun to practice your greenscreen keying. It is angled to be well lit by the sun and doesn't get the shadows of the subjects.

We know of a Dim Sum place where there there is no English on the menu, but pointing works great and they know a few words like "Chicken", "Pork", "Shrimp" and "Beef". They make a great Rice Ball wrapped in an almost see through cover that we have never seen anywhere else.

You might even want to see Alcatraz Island. The tours are interesting.

I am too lazy to walk all the way across the Golden Gate Bridge, but people do. And you can bike across. The best time to do that is a bright sunny day when the fog is so heavy that it rolls over the bridge like a syrup. You carry a jacket with you. Start without it, put it on in the fog, then take it off again after you walk through it.

So if you ever decide to go on walkabout (or is that phrase strictly used by your neighbors?) just let us know. We would be happy to host a party besides showing you around. I'll bet Bill would love to meet up with you on one of his many trips. He might finally find time to visit with me if you were here too! Heck, maybe even Kevin M. and some of his crew would come across the bay to join the fun if they knew that the NZ contingent was in town.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kiwis 2 - Nil. 

I am enjoying SF  ....more and more....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine you might be.

I found this on the web site:

"By order of the International Jury and pursuant to Protocol Article 15.4(d)(iv), ORACLE TEAM USA shall be penalized one point for each of the first two races of the Match in which they would otherwise score a point.)"

I guess that means the Kiwis didn't actually need to win in order to win. I am not saying they didn't deserve the points. I just don't happen to know if they would have won the race without the penalty. Do you know?

I guess tomorrow is the first chance the Oracle team has to win any points.

I see also that the time of day for the races is not designed to make a photographer happy. Sun straight overhead pretty much. I also see that the race track is not conducive to shooting from Treasure Island after all. I will need to fight the crowds in the city if I want to get close. Which means parking problems or a long walk. Sigh!

Why can't they race in the morning, or late in the afternoon? Photographers and videographers unite! Block the races until it gets closer to the golden hour!!!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This  is a 17 race competition and first to win 9 races  (9 points)...takes the cup...

BUT..

Oracle were penalised 2 points so they NOW need to win 11 races ...

Effectively  they started the competion at minus 2 points.

Whatever...some one needs to win the races to accumulate the points.  9 for NZ ( 7 more) and 11 races for Oracle .  (11- 2 = 9 Points.)..but its still the first to get there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, NZ won fair and square regardless of the penalty. That is what I wanted to know. Makes sense. So NZ does not win a point unless they really win.

With that information, I can look at the Oracle team and think that their chances are pretty slim. If they had won the first two, and the score was effectively 0-0, then they could be considered a viable winner.

Maybe it is time to root for a

http://www.chem.cmu.edu/groups/collins/images/kiwi.jpg

Eidt: Now that I look at this picture again, all I can think is that this thing really needs all the help it can get!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Kiwi  bird cant fly ...but our kiwis on the yacht can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watching the race on satellite

Amazing craft expertly handled

Go Team NZ

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is difficult to root against the home team. but it is also difficult to like the home team this year.

If I look at it as a patriotic duty, then fine. If I must, I must. But for the sport itself? Hmmm.

It seems like rooting for the Kiwis would just be more fun. After all, nobody I know ever had a bad thing to say about New Zealand. They don't start wars but they support their allies. They don't have human rights issues pasted all over the front pages. If the Maori have complaints, it certainly doesn't result in front page stories of violence in American newspapers. It looks like a wonderful place, doesn't it?

If it wasn't so far away, I would love to visit. One of my favorite Science Fiction authors (Heinlein) put one of his characters (Friday) in Cristchurch and I have always wanted to see it for myself. But the distance means I will have to wait until I retire, I think. Maybe a nice long trip that covers a few weeks in New Zealand and a few in Australia. (I really want to fly out to Australia's Ayer's Rock and take pictures at Golden Hour.) I'll bet they have LOTR photo tours in NZ that go to amazing places!

While there may be problems, it seems to be about as benign as Canada. They don't bother us, we don't bother them. I wonder... Are Kiwis really as polite as Canadians? So rumor has it. But rumor also has it that they strive to be direct and transparent. Not passive aggressive. Sounds good to me.

So, go Team Emirates NZ!

I really don't want to root for cheaters if I don't have to.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steven

The Kiwi's are the southern equivalent of Canadiens except they are barking mad, bungees, jet boats, adrenelin sports are all rooted in NZ.  Think of 50's USA and you have NZ, I have never met a guy from NZ who is not laid back.

Aussies are similar but more relient on their Fosters.

If you get to Oz you'll love it, my sister in law and nieces live in Perth and I have two cousins in Sydney.  One of my favourite vacation memories was snorkling in Hanauma Bay on Oahu during a visit to the Hawaiian Isles, but the same activity on the Great Barrier Reef was absolutely amazing, if you do the GB Reef do fly out to or back from it via helicopter, its well worth the cost, the views of the Reef are amazing.  Do not stay in Cairns, stay outside, up the coast.  If you know of a seaside town where the young go to get drunk, each and every night then that is what Cairns is like

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Col,

I thought Foster's was a joke that the Aussies played on the Americans. It doesn't even make it to the top 20 list of Australian beers. I would love to try "Little Creatures Puffing Billy" and "Moo Brew Vintage Imperial Stout". For a ligher beer, I would want to try their version of a Pilsner like "Four Wives".

In New Zealand I would like to try some of the "8 Wired" family of beers. Especially the Stouts.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here's the plan.

The racecourse looks like this:

Capture.PNG

The picture is rather small, but if you look at Google Maps to get a larger image, it looks like the spot I have marked in red is about where the Leeward Gate and finish line are. Meaning that I might get good pictures from Treasure Island. Free parking and lots of really big boulders to sit in quite comfortably. I am not sure about the sun. I know that shooting towards the windward gate or the starting line might be tough even with my polarizing lens, but shooting toward the Leeward gate and the finish line should be fine.

I don't know much about racing but my guess is that turning around slows down the boats a bit and speeds up the people a lot.

Capture.PNG

If I am wrong there are plenty more races I can shoot on other days.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, depends on tack around the marker what happens ....could be a jibe or it could be "coming about "...

jibe is when on a run ( wind behind ) , coming about is beating into wind ( wind in front ). Either way there's tons of stuff going on .... usually messing around with the spinnaker if on run and messing around with jib and main if beating into...maybe changing sails too.. ( changing sizes )... lots of fun !

=======

I am not sure about the sun

======

cool shots when sun is 'behind' sails sometimes ( shooting into sun and sun is behind boats ).. really looks cool !

just do stuff and see what you get ...that's what everyone else does...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that the sun will be over by the Golden Gate bridge, but still pretty high in the sky. The second race wil be worse. But as you say, shoot it and see what happens.

I have promised my wife a late lunch / early dinner out after the races are over.

One of the advantages of shooting from the island, besides plenty of shoreline to shoot from and free parking, is that we will be close to the car and can stock up on cold water and snacks. Another is that when the race is over, we are already half way across the brige. We will be sitting at a restaurant eating before some people can even get their cars out of the parking lot.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

=======

I have promised my wife a late lunch / early dinner out after the races are over.

=======

now you're talking my language !  yum !  food !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She deserves some sort of reward for holding my umbrella, and pointing out stuff for me to shoot.

I married a wonderful woman, and she has grown into a superb wife over the years. I couldn't ask for better.

That said, she hates bright lights and won't pose for me except in the shade.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kiwis 3 - Oracle Nil

Next Race in 10 minutes.

Gripping.

...well it is for us Kiwis anyway.!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines