• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro in 2015 vs. FCPX

Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. I wanted to start this thread as a discussion about where Premiere Pro is in 2015 vs Final Cut Pro X. I was a big proponent of Premiere since the CS6 release, and especially after the CC release. It wasn't perfect, no, but it did so many things right. However, as I'm now into my fourth year working on Premiere Pro, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the amount of seemingly stupid and sloppy builds that keep being put out that seem to have more and more bugs, to the point where I now actively kind of hate using Premiere. It is almost a guarantee that either the timeline becomes unresponsive, or weird mystery timeline autoscrolls begin, or the weird project bloat issues, the pathetic performance of dynamic links, or any other number of bizarre problems that inexplicably exist in 2015.

I really don't want to turn this into a discussion about the integrity of my system or my operations. I'm no noob, and all of the problems I experience are documented by mamy others as affecting them. My hardware is the best Apple has to offer. So what I was hoping to talk about is, despite what has for me been a rise in unreliability, is Premiere still better than FCPX? It seems as Premiere has gotten worse for me, the stories I've heard about FCPX have only grown more positive after the initial disaster. So we're here in 2015 – do people still have the same opinions about each program as they did in 2010? Has anyone decidedly committed to one or the other, having recently weighed the two? The day I left AVID (back in 2004) was such a wonderful day, but I'm left wondering if it's actually the only truly viable option for a clean, minimally problematic workflow.

So I ask you, the editing community, for your thoughts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

their subscription model is basically an open beta program, they do not offer a stable branch focusing on bug fixes and stability. you will have to find a version of the software that works for your specific needs and avoid updates until you have time to thoroughly test the update releases. some folks have had to use software versions from a year ago, some over 2 years ago as they use direct link with other adobe software that isn't working properly. some need a specific version that isn't available directly from the adobe cloud manager and need to download specific versions from here. waiting at least a week or two after updates comes out also gives others a chance to report the issues on the forums, so you can check the forums for any issues. they will report things like bugs kept over from last versions, sometimes over a year old or bringing in known bugs from other programs without bothering to fix them. they might also be known major bugs that adobe knowingly releases to make a release deadline and waste peoples time when they have to roll back to an older version. sometimes reverting to an older version isn't possible when they change the project format, leaving people in limbo with a broken program and project file. sometimes the major bug fixes come within a month or two, sometimes they will go very long stretches with known issues as they are focusing on adding new features. keeping os/apps drive images of the computer(s) before any updates and also for known good version installs, allows for a quick recovery to a working or previous version. upgrades should only be done after finishing current projects, but if that can't be done, keep copies of the project files from before the program updates.

complaints and feature requests will be met with polite staff members, but behind the scenes will largely be ignored, unless the product managers have evaluated them as profitable or you have a big hollywood name as adobe is trying to get premiere into that market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my view, Adobe is repeating the mistake Apple made ​​with FCPX . The needs of professionals are totally ignored.

You stuck as much as possible into the programs and shouting loudly at the marketplace. It makes me annoying because we can no longer rely on the program. Every day we beat us around with bugs. You never know what happens next.

It 's so simple:

Billy Wilder brought it to the point . What do you need to make a good movie ? 1. A good script 2. A good script 3. A good script .

And what you need for a good editing program? 1. Reliability 2. Reliability 3. Reliability

Adobe is really so hard to understand that ???

Reinhard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a sad time for Adobe indeed. They're still basking in the glory of their "new" members they got a few years back when we switched from FCP7 but as this discussion thread proves, their kingdom has come to an end. I am so happy to see people leaving Adobe and going back to FCP. While that's not what I plan on doing (I'm switching to AVID) I am still happy that Adobe is finally getting the slap in the face they so desperately deserve. This is just the beginning. With every update, Premiere Pro become more and more unstable and more and more people are finally waking up from this nightmare we've been living for the past couple of years. I switched over to PP about two years ago and quite frankly, in those two years, I've spent more time troubleshooting all the bugs than actually editing. I've easily lost over $50k in projects for those 2 years. The monthly subscription fee is nothing compared to the clients I've lost because of being "unreliable" and "unable to meet deadlines". I don't care what cool new features Premiere Pro has. I really don't. There is nothing Adobe can say or do to repair the damage it has done to my business. I am not a mean person but I wish nothing more than to see Adobe go out of business. It truly deserves it. You can't do business without listening to your customers and Adobe has completely ignored us for many years now. So we're leaving. No customers, no business. Goodbye, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2016 Apr 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, Just spent a month on the free trial of FCPX. There are a couple of features that are lacking BUT the overall workflow and speed at which I can edit puts PP to complete shame. I will keep PS and LR but am letting the rest of the subscription lapse. It is actually fun editing in FCPS while is PP all I do is wait for yet another crash or application of an Effect the slows the timeline to zero until yet another render is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the other side of that.

$2,000 Custom PC vs $4,000 Mac Pro - YouTube

Switching away from FCP is only half way there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may well be the case, BUT you end up with a computer that flies, does not crash and software that well just works.

Who wants to work with bug ridden software where the views of the users have consistently been ignored and the bugs not fixed.

Despite being retired for two years I do visit the forum from time to time and in two years Premiere still seems to be bug ridden.

A lot of names change but the underlying problems still seem to be there

How on earth can you continue to support such bad customer service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUT you end up with a computer that flies, does not crash and software that well just works.

I'm not sure why you need a BUT in that sentence.  What you describe is what you get when switching to Windows, just like the link says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has a 30 Day Trial of FCPX. try it. See if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2016 Sep 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're really liking the 30-day free trial of FCP X, be sure to also try iMovie before purchasing FCP X.  The most recent variation of iMovie is essentially FCP X Lite and it just might fit your workflow needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was matter of trying 2 different NLEs on the same machine. You can argue that the mac I have is too weak to properly run the muscle bound Adobe software and all it's powerful features but it does run FCPX really really well. And it's not MacPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiare is just. too. slow. Same with After effects.
I have a feeling the next update might change some of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's interesting how the NLE space has changed in the last several years. I like FCPX a good deal, but in the absence of updates and marketing support, in seems clear Apple just does t care. What interests me more now, and what I've been playing with, is davinci resolve as an NLE. It's pretty powerful, and fast as hell, but a little clunky still.

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Final Cut Pro owns by Apple so of course apple want you to switch ...

I love premier Pro and I love Apple but Premier Pro work best with windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines