Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The "lazy question" Thread

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit of fun for our amusement.

Add to the thread by QUOTING what you consider is a lazy question from a lazy poster...

Lack of hardware or system details  wont usually count...and be careful about second language  situations.

Rule: NO discussions in the thread.  Let the quote speak for itself and stand alone.

Be careful it doesnt back fire on you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

oh, and that includes saying, " no I am not setting up the camera on that rallraod tressle .. you moron ! ... unless you get some railroad person here with flags and lights and signals and walkie talkies .. so I know I"m not gonna get squished like a bug and die out there ! "

union or not ( member or not ) jurusidiction is another thing.. ( my union was NYC .. if I went to Africa I aint crying to the union about rules..and to be honest I AM THE UNION .. ITS NOT ANYTHING MORE THAN YOU AND ME ... h

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 127 Replies 127
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe...good point.

I remember in my own case... after working as a grip in IATSE 52 ( NY ) for a bit over 30 years that I wouldn't get my pension until I'm 65. I am now 63.5... so have to wait another year and a half before I get that pension. I suffer for that due to having to live on an early retirement amount that is peanuts.  There were a number of reasons for making the decision not to work in as a grip anymore. Mostly it was physically really hard to do anymore. I was becoming " unsafe " on the jobs. I really couldn't know for sure if holding up very heavy things in grids off the floor was possible for me anymore. You know, doing work above others in stages etc.  On top of that the hours per day ( 14 plus hours is normal ) was getting harder to do.  Also, the budgets and constraints are now harder than ever.. producers need to do things on tighter budgets .. so they are forced to try and do the same work as before with less crew members and for less cost ( less equipment rentals and so on ). The business in general is feeling a lot of pressure.  Because of tax rebate programs internationally the producers sometimes demand concessions in NYC.

The alternative is that the producers will shoot someplace like " New Zealand " where people will do work for a day for half the amount of money per day.. and will even sacrifice " safety " of work conditions in order to do that work, in terms of having enough manpower to handle a camera crane and so on.  The nice little " ant " girl ( recently killled by train in a right to work state in the USA ) is a case in point. Eveyone seems to have some opinion about what that was all about. People in NZ will do stuff like that at the drop of a hat.. just to get the shot and get it done.  But people all over the world have great talent and are mature, so all that is a matter of personal integrity.

I laugh my butt off when I think of some tongue in cheek remarks made by those who's attitude toward things are not grown up enough to understand real jobs with big budgets and so on.  Would you hire me to work on your movie ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also make a point to say that I worked as a " grip " on movies... and I don't pretend to have shot the movie, lit the movie, operated the camera or worked in some other capacity on the movie... or commercial.  If I have a " reel " to show people, I would be very careful about whether I produced it, shot it, lit it , edited it or whatever. I don't blur the lines regarding what I actually DID when I worked on things... you know? Personal integrity is very important to me... being honest..

I DID EDIT these .... but these are samples of MY EDITING....NOT MY SHOOTING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyway, sigh... I will give you more things to laugh at as time goes on... laugh at ME I mean.... hehe..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one more thing.. unlike some who don't know how to search for information about a problem or solution .. there are really people in the market place who DO know where to look for certain things.. like credits and so on... and although it's hard to believe there is also a sort of 'network' of people who work in the film business that may include a very large area of the world.... so it may not really be that hard to know what someone is doing or has done and so on... and what others think of them.

A good example is ME ( again ). I was given the chance by a DP in Canada to key some movie in Canada a while back. I had to find out who that man was, what he did before, what he was like to work with and so on. The reason I had to know is because I would have taken a trailer of grip equipment with me on the job from NY ( someone who owned that stuff would basically lend it to me for the duration of the job ).. and that stuff is worth a lot of money and I needed to know the people I'd be working with would not abuse the equipment and so on ..

One 8 foot section of film air track is $ 800.00 for example.. and I would have about 2 dozen sections of that .. that is the kind of money I am talking about.

When you really need to know about people in the film biz it's not that hard to find out about them. You are more than welcome to ask around about me .. and I invite you to do that ... really... but I know you'd never do that and have interest.. I'm just saying.. there is a big difference between what you are talking about and where I am coming from sometimes.

anyway, lets move on and make more fun of young posters... who have iphones and the new CC subscription.... yipee....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alternative is that the producers will shoot someplace like " New Zealand " where people will do work for a day for half the amount of money per day.. and will even sacrifice " safety " of work conditions in order to do that work, in terms of having enough manpower to handle a camera crane and so on.

Thats far from fact and truth. You wont find anywhere better in regard to safety awareness and conditions.

Rates of pay are not 3rd world either!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by the way, the next time someone has to do something like take a chainsaw to a girl's neck.. and have the chain saw running... you know you can do that with a mirror , right ????  tell the DP after you research it.. .goes for lots of shots.. like cars running into people etc.. you just cut a frame before contact with the mirror.. will send samples if you want...usually it's candy glass... on bigger budgets...with eye protection etc you can probably do with think plain mirror depending on action... so nobody gets hurt..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats the way.

its all "smoke and mirrors" except down here...we do it for real.

BTW - have you hijacked my thread Rod?

Dumb thread with 5000+ views about lazy posts! wow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh geez.... bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 01, 2014 Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fact is you help no one in this Forum and never have.

I knew as soon as I read that part of your post that it would have been a good idea for you to post an image of the proof. Lo and behold, I was right and it's too late now.

I should have done it when I though about it. Sorry about that.

All he had to do was to use his other account to give himself some points. Or, perhaps simply answer a question. If Snarky is who I think he might be, he is quite capable of answering questions any time he wants.

Edit: Yep! He answered a question. Quite well, it appears.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2014 Apr 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can photoshop mask for these areas and correct the color ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

need to know how to add graphics effects and how to add graphics to titles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...who's game?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should have been a quote.       It's not me asking the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wheeeeeeeeeeee

this is fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

============

need to know how to add graphics effects and how to add graphics to titles

============

easy.. get out coloring book ( photoshop ) and have fun !

ps. Steve.. sunset is sunrise running backward !  hehe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps. Steve.. sunset is sunrise running backward !  hehe...

Plus, sunsets are usually at a much more convenient time of day!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

Plus, sunsets are usually at a much more convenient time of day!

That is lazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is lazy.

Oh, without a doubt.

The problem with sunsets, I have found, is that there are always a lot more people around. Getting up early, and resisting laziness, got me a lot better shots on my vacation. The issue with that is that I feel a little silly getting up early on vacation. After all, I am on vacation, the point of which is to be as lazy as possible. I have watched too many photography classes, tutorials, discussions, etc, and now I feel like I am wasting my vacation if I am not up early. This new hobby is trying to ruin my life!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

==========

This new hobby is trying to ruin my life!

===========

imagine what its like to make a living at it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imagine what its like to make a living at it !

Honestly? I can't imagine making a living with Photography. I can get about as far as selling some pictures maybe, but a living? I seriously doubt that could ever happen for me, regardless of how hard I worked at it. I would never shoot weddings or open a shop for portraits. So it would have to be fine art or travel photography, and I doubt I have the artistic skills, or imagination to make that happen. Although, maybe one day. But by the time that happens I will probably have retired and would be happy with the occasional sale of a photo. Maybe I could get good enough to teach beginners?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't underestimate your skills Steven.

From what we have seen you are certainly getting there.

My Daughter and grand kids love having their family portraits taken by a very creative studio near where they live.  Yes they are very good but certainly the delivered printed image in my view often needs Photoshopping to remove stray hairs, fluff, marks on the floor, scuff marks on shoes, blemishes on skin.

I usually scan the image and doctor it and print out a version for my Wife and I.

Like you I do not consider myself the most creative but a couple of years ago I shot the wedding of my nephew for him whilst the video camera was rolling I took a series of images with the Canon 7D and printed out an album for them, my new niece and her mum liked the images better than the Pro who produced only static posed shots, whereas I got those plus plenty of candid guest images.

Look at the work of others, learn and practice, practice and above all be self analytical

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what we have seen you are certainly getting there.

Thanks.

Look at the work of others, learn and practice, practice and above all be self analytical

My problem is that I have a tough time drawing the line between self analytical and self critical.

Fortunately, I have found a web site with some people who are inclined to point out problems with photographs. http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/  Looks like a name that Robodog would come up with, doesn't it? One day, if I can develop a large enough portfolio (at least 10 pictures I am really proud of) I will start submitting it to the pros for critique. Like Jared Polin, Zack Arias or Scott Kelby.

I was thrilled to come out 11th out of 120 in one of the weekly themed contests on http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/. Putting a picture out there, with totally blind voting, no names or metadata or anything other than the photograph itself, and I got into the top 10%. It was a picture that I planned for, worked a bit to get, and processed minimally while I was on vacation in Mexico.

I can tell you one thing. I haven't been lazy about trying to learn as much as I can. I have spent many, many hours reading and studying, The pictures at http://500px.com/ have been very helpful in helping me figure out what I like and what I don't. Heck, I pretty much have given up watching TV anymore. I spend all my former TV time on YouTube or Lynda.com or other sites.

As pointed out by this thread, if I want information then I have to be as specific as possible, provide the information that can help people to help me. If I don't have the right words, then I have to be as descriptive as possible. There are even more photography resources out there than there are video resources, but it requires reading the forums, studying the manuals, and understanding all of the basics.

To get back to the topic of this thread, if I asked a question like "What is this Rule of Thirds I keep hearing about" I would be laughed at. Someone would answer I imagine, but the pros would probably just ignore the question or post one of those lists of FAQs that are useful in my opinion, but really annoy some newbies to the forum.

However, I am still uncomfortable with making fun of lazy questions. It is funny, to be sure, and possibly a good outlet for some frustration, but it is rather rude, and I would hate to discourage someone from using Adobe products because we didn't help them to understand how things are done. Or maybe we help them on one forum and insult them in the lounge and they find out? I don't know. It seems a little, well, mean?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven

Consider that we are helping them to help them selves. 

If they ask a question that is fathomable ..they will get an answer.

The Forum is loaded with a tedious and time consuming "stock response" asking for more information and supplying "How to Ask a Question" Posts.

Loaded with a "questionaire response" (that would take a week to read and understand) and  then has nothing to do with the unfathomable question.

It used to be loaded with sarcastic analogies ..usually of an automotive nature ( go figure!).

RTFM was a regular response.

Which of the above is more acceptable?

They are not being insulted nor is it rudeness to gently mock.  I dont think the lazy posts are fun. 

I think they are simply an  interesting observation of communications skills (ie.lack of).

BTW - ever been thanked, acknowledged or marked correct from a "lazy post thread" ?

Any one know what time does the Adobe Kids Forum opens today?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines