• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thinking about Edius 6.5 !!!

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Premiere is behind from Edius in profomance wise, i've both on same system.

On 1080i timline the edius is more stable than ppro.

Why is that? I am patroling all over the web since for 2 months to get some facts on Edius vs ppro.

I've been working with ppro since 7/8 years..... Often people teased me that one day u'll going to switch to this EDIOT(edius).

Frankly i dont want to don't need to. But Adobe should have to work hard to keep the legend alive.

Back to my question why eduis works well than ppro?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why Adobe stills lacks some of the functionalities which some other softwares have.

For the same reason other software lacks a lot of features Premiere Pro has - they're different programs, designed and coded by different people working at different companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, Jim.

Ulf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, I realized PR has somthing that none of other NLE has. I've been working on RT cards for very long time since cs5 came out with MPE, I sold out my RTX 100, RTX2 le just bcoz of MPE....

On Edius i just got crazy after 5 mints "its like A Cat who likes to roar like LION"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coredvideo wrote:

On Edius i just got crazy after 5 mints "its like A Cat who likes to roar like LION"

I'm not sure what exactly drove you crazy in Edius, because its workflow is even easier to use than Premiere or any other NLE, provided that you take a minute to make your own windows layout to optimize the workflow, like you can do in Premiere. But Edius is not a cat, it beats every other NLE in speed, including Premiere CS6 with a GTX570, 6 cores at 3.2 Ghz and 16 GB of RAM. Even better, Edius doesn't even need a new Nvidia card for real time, it does it only with the CPU, while Premiere absolutely needs an expensive Nvidia card to have any real time at all, and even then, its real time is not as good as Edius'. I've used Edius for two years with an ATI Radeon 4850 HD and it has excellent real time playback, much better than Premiere with the GTX570.

Another thing in which Edius is far better is in the video playback inside the GUI. Rarely I have seen Edius drop a single frame during playback of the source footage or the timeline, even after a clip had rotation, scale to avoid black borders due to the rotation, 3 way color correction, YUV curves, sharpness or blur, all stacked up together in one clip, and even transitions between two clips with all these effects, on a 1080 timeline, either 59.94i or 23.98p frame rate, while at the same time it was feeding video to the HD Spark card, which doesn't provide any real time processing, only output that comforms to broadcast specs.

Premiere, even without a single filter applied to it, provides perfect playback through the Matrox MXO2 Mini to the external monitor or TV set, but the playback on the GUI is horrendous, the worst of any NLE I've ever seen, both on Mac and PC. It stutters ALL the time. The only way to make it smoother is to drop the resolution to half and play only one field, but this also affects output to the Matrox, so there's no way I would do that. In fact, most times I just hide the monitor window in the GUI and only preview on my TV set, because among other shortcomings, Premiere doesn't apply any BOB or similar deinterlacing to the window in the GUI, so you see all the combing of the interlaced lines. Edius plays it at full resolution and deinterlaces it properly, only for playback on the GUI, while sending the correct interlaced video signal through the HD Spark.

The other thing in which Edius is better is the choice of stabilizer. I've been trying the Warp stabilizer that comes with Premiere and it's a joke. It takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to analize the footage, again, on a AMD CPU with 6 cores at 3.2 GHZ each, 16 GB of RAM and a GTX570 card, and once you've used it on a few clips, the size of the project file grows to ridiculous sizes that causes saving the project to take several seconds, which is a very common complaint as far as I've read, so it's not a problem with my machine or OS installation. But the other day I tried loading the clip I wanted to stabilize on After Effects and applying the Warp stabilizer there. Even after several minutes of analysis, the result was horrible. The clip was a simple pan inside a church, handheld camera. The resulting clip has really weird movement, it waves as if the camera was being moved in all directions repeatedly, and I tried it several times with different options, including enhanced analysis.

Edius doesn't have its own stabilizer, so they included Mercalli Pro 2 with it. I loaded the same original clip in Edius, applied Mercalli to it, it did the analysis at 10 frames per second (as opposed to the not even 1 fps of Warp) and better yet, the same exact footage looked like the camera had been on a steadycam.

Granted, Premiere has a lot better filters and effects compared to Edius, but why do they even ship it with a slow and crappy stabilizer when it would be a lot easier to buy Mercalli Pro 2 from Prodad? And why is it that it can't play footage smoothly on its GUI like Edius, Vegas, FCP and even $100 consumer NLEs do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

playback on the GUI is horrendous, the worst of any NLE I've ever seen, both on Mac and PC. It stutters ALL the time.

It works just fine for me.  (And I'd wager a whole lot of others as well.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

playback on the GUI is horrendous, the worst of any NLE I've ever seen, both on Mac and PC. It stutters ALL the time.

It works just fine for me.  (And I'd wager a whole lot of others as well.)

The realtime previews of Premiere Pro are good but not great. Having said that Premiere Pro works as good as FCP 7 or even Vegas but Edius is better. I wish Premiere had realtime previews that looked as good as Edius.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all,

happy summer...

it is my understanding that edius is so real time

because it first transcodes all your footage into something

easier to work with...

however, with ppro you edit right away and in native resolutions...

if you have a long event or discussion like you stated...

how long does it take edius to first transcode everything?

like others have stated, each program is better at things than the other...

i have both installed on my pc laptop and pc desktop

and use one or the other depending on what my outcome will be...

i do believe ppro is capable of a lot more...

peaceiteasy,

j

can i say b*e*e*r*3*0  here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tfi productions 44 wrote:

it is my understanding that edius is so real time

because it first transcodes all your footage into something

easier to work with...

Edius edits native footage.

however, with ppro you edit right away and in native resolutions...

In your dreams maybe.   It takes Premiere Pro probably any hour just to conform the audio on most of my projects.   Sure, it's faster than transcoding, but it's not the immediate real time editing that was so readily marketed by Adobe.  It's tough to ingest all the footage and come up with a quick edit because conforming holds me back big time.  And then....  if I hand this over to another editor, it has to conform all over again.  We've never managed to transfer the conformed files and have it use them without producing duplicate conformed files.

FCP-X OTOH lets me edit native and immediately with no conforming.  Why can't Adobe do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey all,

my bad...

i was under the influence

that edius needed to transcode to its canopus format first

just checked the website...hmmm...

have a good day,

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

productions 44.   In your comment you stated you had both programs installed on your laptop and desktop. You also stated it was your understanding that Edius needs to transcode. What gives? Do you have Edius or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all,

i have ppro 5.03  and i have edius 6

i never got around to using edius much because of the

'needing to transcode into its own format'

and my projects weren't that long in ppro so

i didn't have to wait to conform before i started editing

i went to look at my edius program but it got glitched up

somehow and i need to reinstall it to verify

i'd be happy as a kateupton dress if i was wrong

about the whole thing...

will repost after i test out

thanks...

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have ppro 5.03  and i have edius 6

i never got around to using edius much because of the

'needing to transcode into its own format'

No ofense, but it seems to me that you don't know much about Edius. If there's one program that is the absolute champion at not having to transcode anything before use it's Edius. Granted, before version 5.5 you used to have to transcode AVCHD footage to use it, but that was over two years ago. And when it finally accepted AVCHD natively, it was far better at handling it than any other NLE. Unless you use some kind of really strange format, nothing is better than Edius at real time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think many of the Adobe purist users maybe are missing the piont of the question that was posted, it is not an attack on the holy cow, We are all users of the products , and each product has it strengths and weakness, I use both on a daily bases, if Adobe could incorprate many of the features and look of FCP in CS6 so quickly, Adobe could do same with Adobe and  Edius strengths. I do not think this thread was ment to be turned into who's better than who. it could end up in a unpleasend fight , which ends up in personal attacks.

Just my 2cents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all,

i agree with anthony...

different tools, different strengths...

i got edius 6 working again on my laptop

and STAND CORRRECTED about native avchd footage:

edius will accept it...

however, it wasn't 'butter', so now i will install edius 6

on my desktop and see how that compares to ppro 5.03.

i do think ppro is capable of a lot more built in effects

and also to dynamic link between other adobe products is

an advantage...

note:  i do not know edius at all...i bought it for like half price

with my teacher's license and never got around to using it...

now that i know it edits native avchd footage...i'll be learning how

to use the software properly...

take it easy,

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think this thread was ment to be turned into who's better than who. it could end up in a unpleasend fight , which ends up in personal attacks.

They always go that way ....and they also end up the same .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edius does indeed have better realime performace and smoother play back than Premiere Pro. I have mentioned that to the Adobe team a few times. If you take a PIP and move it across the screen kind of fast Premiere Pro, Vegas Video, FCP X, FCPX 7 and most other editing systems will be a tad bit jerky but not Edius. I wish Adobe would drop the Mercury Playback engine and mimic the realtime engine of Edius. Edius is true realtime editing and not just realtime previews. The real time performance is incredible but  Edius does have some limitations when trying to make use of keyers and using transitions at the same time. Also the key-framing does kind of suck compared to most other editing systems. Edius got the job done for me but my clients don't need 5 layer of native AVCHD playing back in realtime but they do need Blu-ra discs with state of the art menus. That is where the integration of AE, Photoshop, Ilustrator and Premiere out shines Edius. Having said that if I did not use Premiere Pro Edius would be my next choice for a NLE. I can only hope some of this information will find it's way to the Adobe development teams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have raiseed many points but maybe premiere can handle few points but I am talking about longer projects 3-5 hours corporate envnts like talk shows and conceerts and live events premires gets very heavy for longer projects. Premiere gets heavy when a lot of effects added in 3-5 hours multicam timeline.

I am using Blackmagic Decklink extreme 3D card but that is not 100% realtime rather just an I/O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I must agree to you.

No pan shot without jerky play back with Premiere CS6 1080/50p with i7 3770, GTX 670, 250 GB SSD, Cuda enabled, 16 GB Ram . I really have tried everything to work that out (other hardware configurations, new sata cables, all possible bios configurations,...) . But in vain.

At the moment I am testing Edius 6.5. Absolute smooth  playback also full-screen with effects!! Edius is my absolute new timeline reference :).

Very hard to see that after using Premiere for so may years. I hope Adobe will fix the rough timeline. In the meantime I will try Edius for the first time for my new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi

we love adobe product and very very love premiere pro,but why adobe do not think way for speed up real editing and export time?

thanks adobe

If we do only what we know, we will never progress

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines