• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Your advice is to drop several thousand dollars on a new computer?

Enthusiast ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Risking the ol' banhammer:

So, to be clear, Kevin, you guys revoked the licenses for older versions of your software, making it essentially illegal for your paying customers with older hardware to run your software. Instead of providing workarounds or solutions, your advice is to drop several thousand dollars on a new computer? Have I got that right?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derjis  wrote

Risking the ol' banhammer:

So, to be clear, Kevin, you guys revoked the licenses for older versions of your software, making it essentially illegal for your paying customers with older hardware to run your software. Instead of providing workarounds or solutions, your advice is to drop several thousand dollars on a new computer? Have I got that right?

Derjis Isn't this essentially SaaS in a nutshell?  You don't own anything.  Even your licensing terms are up for retro-active alterations.

vader-lando.jpg

Was the jump from 12 to 13 that monumental from a resource perspective?  No one thinks the OP is experiencing something unusual?  The buy a new computer "solution" is really astonishing.

The OP lists his computer as being 2016.  A 3 year old computer shouldn't be expected to run PP13?  Wow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CloudDisaster  wrote

A 3 year old computer shouldn't be expected to run PP13?  Wow.

It's not the age of the computer. It's the fact that the computer was underpowered to start with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

CloudDisaster   wrote

A 3 year old computer shouldn't be expected to run PP13?  Wow.

It's not the age of the computer. It's the fact that the computer was underpowered to start with.

OK, but computers don't crash because they're slow, do they?  The OP mentions nothing showing up in the monitors.  Again--that doesn't sound like a problem with being under-specced to me...

Unless there are specific GPU requirements in 13 that preclude him using his laptop?  I don't edit on a laptop, but I am using a nine year old CPU (with a modern GPU).  I don't experience anything beyond the typical Adobe jankiness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CloudDisaster  wrote

Unless there are specific GPU requirements in 13 that preclude him using his laptop?

2 GB of GPU VRAM

See here:

Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too bad. If only there were a version of the less-than-one-year-old software release that wasn't so riddled with bugs that it's totally useless to the OP, forcing him or her to spend several thousands of dollars to replace his or her 3 year old computer.

**stares wistfully at the clouds**

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the input. If the problem was just the computer though, it should feel more like a lag and just overall glitchiness. This feels much more like a bug. Sure, my 3 year old computer may be a bit underpowered but it’s run precious versions of Premiere and after effects flawlessly (and I’ve put it through some pretty heavy edits). I don’t see how it could simply and suddenly not be powerful enough. That’s the type of thing that should come over time (not working great yesterday w/ v12 and not at all today with v13). Correct me if I’m wrong but you can see how I’m thinking logically here.

Hudson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

CloudDisaster   wrote

Unless there are specific GPU requirements in 13 that preclude him using his laptop?

2 GB of GPU VRAM

See here:

Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

Ouch.  If anything, Adobe's track record with posted system requirements have had some rather large omissions/oversights.  With that factored in, I'd imagine the actual floor is 3 or 4GB of VRAM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines