Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there easy way to print bookmarks Acrobat Pro 9.5

Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to print the bookmarks of an Acrobat file using Acrobat Pro 9.5?

Is there an easy way to expand all headings?

Thank you

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Here is something you can try:

With your file open, and assuming it has all the bookmarks setup:

Simply export to HTML (File > Export > HTML > I picked HTML 3.2). That should create an HTML file.

Open the new HTML file and the first thing you should see is a list of all the bookmarks!!!

This worked for me (I have Adobe 9). Let me know if it works for you.

P.S. After copying the list, I pasted in Word and changed the bullets to numbers by right clicking one of the bullets and selecting Numbering!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of a way to print bookmarks. You could make a screen capture.

You can expand all bookmarks by holding down the Option/Alt key and clicking one of the disclosure triangles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a screen capture utility (FastStone) and it does scrolling windows, but in this case it's only capturing a part of it all.  Thanks for the Alt Click suggestion.

What is a disclosure triangle?

I wish Acrobat had this functionality built in.  I don't need much by way of printouts, but it is nice to have a physical copy of the index and table of contents, which is essentially what bookmarks are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is more stuff you can do with the screenshot idea to get more results:

Use a screenshot program rather than your computer's built-in functionality so you can accurately capture the bookmarks text only as a list.

Then if you cannot get it all with one screen capture take additional captures until you get them all.

Next Place these screen captures as embedded in Photoshop one at a time so you can align them to look like a single page table of contents.

Next Save As a Photoshop.pdf

Now open Acrobat and select combine files.

Select your new TOC pdf as the first file.

Then select your main pdf as the second file.

Then Combine the files.

The result will have the TOC as the first page in a new pdf file that now has the whole file in one document.

This way you could just print the TOC as 1 page from the entire document.

You could probably add numbering to the new TOC page as well but I have not tried this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have developed scripts that allow you to do both things.

Create Bookmarks Summary (outputs the bookmarks structure to either PDF or

a plain-text file, which you can then print out):

http://try67.blogspot.com/2008/11/acrobat-export-bookmarks-to-pdf-txt.html

Close/Open all Bookmarks:

http://try67.blogspot.com/2009/10/closeopen-all-bookmarks.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your effort to help but getting into scripts is a bit more than I can handle right now.

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is something you can try:

With your file open, and assuming it has all the bookmarks setup:

Simply export to HTML (File > Export > HTML > I picked HTML 3.2). That should create an HTML file.

Open the new HTML file and the first thing you should see is a list of all the bookmarks!!!

This worked for me (I have Adobe 9). Let me know if it works for you.

P.S. After copying the list, I pasted in Word and changed the bullets to numbers by right clicking one of the bullets and selecting Numbering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a good answer.  It would be helpful if Adobe would provide that option without having to jump through the hoops, but I am glad to know about this.  I too imported the HTML into WORD and deleted everything below the Bookmarks and it suits the purpose.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported my file to HTML, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Rich Text Format and XML but didnt got the bookmarks in the exported file?
Any ideas????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me. The bookmarks are part of the file, but seems each bookmark precedes the page it points to. Obviously something different in the HTML creation for 2016+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting to xml and opening it with a text editor gave me the bookmarks at the top. It is a little clunky to edit, but better than starting over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd echo what @sfz5 said above, at least when using Adobe Acrobat DC v18 - export to XML (not HTML). It will definitely matter if you open the .xml in a plain-text editor (i.e., Notepad, not Word; TextEdit with rich text formatting off) vs. rich text, which did NOT give the doc's internal bookmarks.

I don't have my old copy of Adobe Acrobat anymore, so not sure if the export to HTML functionality @g_star* mentions was a workaround for a prior version or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still working and free of charge. The only change is that the bookmarks appear in a separate file called bookmarks.htm inside a subfolder for the HTML file. Sweet & nice 🙂

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is more stuff you can do with the screenshot idea to get more results:

Use a screenshot program rather than your computer's built-in functionality so you can accurately capture the bookmarks text only as a list.

Then if you cannot get it all with one screen capture take additional captures until you get them all.

Next Place these screen captures as embedded in Photoshop one at a time so you can align them to look like a single page table of contents.

Next Save As a Photoshop.pdf

Now open Acrobat and select combine files.

Select your new TOC pdf as the first file.

Then select your main pdf as the second file.

Then Combine the files.

The result will have the TOC as the first page in a new pdf file that now has the whole file in one document.

This way you could just print the TOC as 1 page from the entire document.

You could probably add numbering to the new TOC page as well but I have not tried this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AutoBookmark Standard Plug-in may can help you.

You can download it from Download Trial Versions of the Software
It is not free, but the trial version has a 30-days evaluation period.
(P.S. It can't support Big 5...)

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines