• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge to PDF ignoring text variables in tag line

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any reason that a file merged directly to a PDF (rather than to an Indesign file, then saved as a PDF) would refuse to parse text variables set in InDesign?

Document has text variables selected so that final will have a tag line with date and page count.Document has text variables selected so that final will have a tag line with date and page count.

When I merge my data to an InDesign file, then save as PDF, the tag line I created with text variables print.  It works but it is very time consuming and eats up a lot of hard drive space. 

My tag line includes:

File Name | Output Date/Time | Sheet: Page Number / Last Page Number

Sample:

This is how the tag line is supposed to appear.This is how the tag line is supposed to appear.

When I use the Data Merge Panel to select Merge to PDF, InDesign happily prints my file name, date and time, but ignores my text variables for the page number and last page number in document. It's treating my merge as if there is only one page!

Sample:

This is how the tag line looks when I merge to PDF. Note that EVERY page is page 1.This is how the tag line looks when I merge to PDF. Note that EVERY page is page 1.

It's the same exact tag line. Surely using the Data panel, InDesign understands that the resulting PDF will be more than one page considering there are over 6,000 records merging. How could it not?

What is going on? Can this be fixed? Have I found a bug? 

Sherry Baker
TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, merge to an InDesign file; then export to PDF.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Did you miss the part where the file is over 6,000 pages? This takes HOURS to build the merge, save the INDD file, then save as a PDF. The purpose of printing to a PDF directly is to save time and hard drive space.
Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines