Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessibility: Appropriate Nesting

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I've having issues resolving accessibility issues with a document. I've followed tutorials but for the nested headings issue, I don't have a drop down option (see tutorial video screenshot for comparisson with my PDF scnreenshot).

Does anybody know what I'm doing incorrectly here to not have the show in tags panel option to fix? Any help would be much appreciated!

Headings - Acrobat.PNGHeadings - Youtube.PNG

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you show the tag tree structure there from the bottom-most icon on the far left?

Just a guess, but it could be that you have a Heading level out of sequence. For example, the check is looking for like H1 then H2 then H3. Or even how deep your headings actually go. If you have H1 followed immediately by, say, H3, then that will flag an error because you've skipped over H2.

So take a look at your tag structure tree and look for any Heading Tags that might be out of order. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issues before when a break (empty line with a 'return', a line break, basically no-text) was formatted with H1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DIAsthomas, the post from @ynwtf is correct.

The accessibility checker's error — "Appropriate Nesting - Failed" — is always because your heading levels are out of order. Review the Hx tags in the tags panel to locate where the structure error is. You also can select each "Element X" in the accessibility report to locate the problematic headings, too.

Nesting errors are caused by:

• The first heading in the document isn't <H1>. Maybe your document starts with <H2> or another heading level.
  • A heading level was skipped. Your document goes from <H1>, followed by <H4> or some other level.

To correct headings in the PDF, select the tag you want to change, right-click, select Properties, and from the top drop-down menu select the correct heading level for the tag.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bevi,

In my case the failing H3 is 33 pages in to the document, and immediately follows several Ps, which themselves are preceded by an H3. (Double-checked in Tags panel.) If I change the offending H3 to an H1 in InDesign, it passes. What would explain this? Are there some situations where there's some corruption?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it! This was due to a preceding nested table whose frame had erroneously been assigned H1. So there is logic to the nesting issues, but the offenders can sure be tricky to track down sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's a hard one to catch!

Glad you found it and fixed it.

Kudos!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im having the same issues.  Im new to this and want to get it right.  Any advice would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines