• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 2023: How to revert to classic GUI user interface

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE: Do not delete or merge this conversation thread.

This post is to consolidate the information from dozens of other posts about how to revert to the previous user interface in Acrobat.

It consolidates the information users need to know.

When Acrobat is updated to version 2023, it replaces the traditional user interface that's been in place for the past 20+ years with what Adobe is calling the "Modern Viewer," which has some severe technical problems (missing utilities) and a complete relocation of familiar tools, menus, and quick access tool bars.

In Windows Acrobat:

1. Locate the "hamburger menu" in the upper left corner (3 horizontal bars where the old "File" menu used to be).
  2. Select Disable New Acrobat.

BeviChagnonPubComcom_1-1693506675418.png

The hamburger menu in new Acrobat-Windows.

In Mac Acrobat:

1. From the View menu at the top, select Disable New Acrobat.

Thanks to Gary_SC for this Mac screen capture.Thanks to Gary_SC for this Mac screen capture.

Let Adobe know:

You can voice your opinion about the new interface at UserVoice: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/47082691-ditch-t... 

Be sure to leave a comment about your opinion and experience with the new interface. They need to hear from us users.

FYI, UserVoice is Adobe's official website where it reads and takes into account suggestions and complaints from users of its various products.  On the other hand, this community forum is a user-to-user help forum and information posted here rarely reaches ears or eyes at Adobe.

Learn about the new interface:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/new-acrobat-experience.html

Hope this post helps you quickly get back to work!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |
TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Hi All!

Hope you are doing well.

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you can be more productive and get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on any unavailable features, such as customizing the All Tools positioning or user interface. And we will address them with the highest priority. 

A point to note is that as we made these changes in the interface, we have ensured all tools & features

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, the good old times of the tube monitors…

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this!! That new version was ruining my days! Waste of some developer's time, really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Disable New Acrobat' option worked on my iMac but it does not and will not work on my Windows machine. The new GUI is a complete disaster on Windows. Adding optional functions to the ridiculous little toolbar on the right only lasts as long as its open and then you have to add them all over again the next time its used. Moving that little toolbar to the left reverts back to the right each time the application is opened. Customization has to be done each session. A total failure by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change, in and of itself, is not necessarily desireable. 

This is a change, but NOT AN IMPROVEMENT!!!!

I hope that the option to use the previous interface.

If someone likes the new interface, fine. 

I find it a rats nest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish List

Fellow Acrobat users!

I want to turn our complaints into something useful for Adobe's development team, so I wrote up some key fixes to the new interface that will help us get the tools we need while giving Adobe a better interface for Acrobat's future features.

Please take a minute to review my wish list.

And please add your ideas to it!

• Keep it positive and helpful. (They already know how much we hate it, they got the message.)
  • Suggestions on what you want to see changed or restored.
  • Just address the interface, not what features you want (that's for another post).

And be sure to describe what you use Acrobat for, how it's used for work or your personal computing. It's clear that the Adobe design team may have missed how various industries rely on Acrobat, so here's your chance to let them know what you need in the interface.

I believe it's our last chance to get the Acrobat we need before Adobe carves the new interface into stone.

The wish list is at:

https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/48153893-new-acr...

Add your "wishes."

And don't forget to click the VOTE button in the upper left.

—Bevi Chagnon

One of the original Acrobat trainers since the original beta version 30+ years ago.

This is not my first time encountering a new Acrobat interface.

And no, I don't work for Adobe.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me nuts, the new interface can't be disabled fast enough.

But the real kicker has been that there are bugs in the new version that have staff clicking multiple times to open a PDF if it opens the PDF at all.

To further stuff it up Creative Cloud doesn't uninstall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

life saver. the tabletification of PC programs has gotten out of hand. stop taking away my file menu bar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the fix. I really dislike the new interface and if I was forced to use it I would probably find something else to use. Why try and force something new on people? I've seen no advantage with the new interface and only frustration trying to find my tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional to my fustrations with the new interface (which I have no intention of using, btw) the whole app bears no resemblance to any of the other CC programmes - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc. It's like the Acrobat development team are operating autonomously from the rest of the brand and don't seem to care that the majority of us would like some kind of visual harmony with the rest of the suite. One issue I've had since 9 is why is there even a separate Tools tab behind open files? It makes no sense. Such a poorly crafted app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU for this. The new interface is dreadful and costs me a lot of lost time!!!  I do not want to struggle to work with an application I know well just because Adobe feel they need to change something to justify the price

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bevi for allowing all to remove the privacy intrusive AI Adobe added to Acrobat! AI is not what this world needs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please have this new UI designer sent to north korea and have him dig his own grave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines