Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC crashes - Play embedded video

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a PDF file created last year with InDesign, who contains several embedded videos.

This week I realized that when I open the PDF file with Acrobat DC/ or Acrobat Reader, each time one of the video should start, Acrobat DC directly craches.

Are you expericing the same?

It seems this is due to the last update of Acrobat.

Any idea how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Stephane

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting , Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Hi community, this is an ongoing issue with Windows Media Playback that we are investigating with Microsoft. The issue is primarliy affecting devices which have both and integrated graphics processor along with a discrete graphics card. While we are working on solving the underlying problem, we have discovered a temporary workaround which works by setting a default GPU for Acrobat. The workaround can be implemented using the Windows 10 Display Settings:

gauranja_0-1613734660739.png

Under Display Settings, head on over to Gra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StephaneHol

We are sorry for the trouble. As described the Acrobat DC is crashing upon playing the embedded video in a PDF file that is originally created from Indesign.

Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Adone Acrobat/Reader DC and make sure you have the latest version 20.009.20074 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates.

If it still doesn't work, please try to turn off the protected mode for testing. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat DC (Mac) > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Turn off the protected mode and uncheck the Enhanced Security > Click ok

Note: Please trun on the security after testing.

If it still doesnt work, please craete a new test user profile with full admin rights or wnable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Keep us posted with the results

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sushmitadeb,

Thank you for reaching out.

Could you please let us know if the issue occurs on playing video from any PDF or with some particular PDF?

Would you mind sharing any sample PDF with us? So we can replicate the issue on our end.

Share the Acrobat and OS version on the machine. You may use the steps suggested in the following help document to check the application version: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html

Please ensure that the application is updated to the latest version. In the application, go to Help > Check for updates.

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue here on OS X 10.15.7, i reinstalled the new version of Acrobat and now it tell me that i need Flash that i recently desintalled because of the end of the support by Adobe. So ...  is there a plan to be able to play video in pdf soon without Flash? 
Thanks to keep me informed, so i will know if i have to remove video from my documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MeenakshiNegi  and Adobe Support,

Could you please let us know if there is any solution to solve this "embedded video in PDF" issue, or if there is not fix at the moment? Since October last year, no Acrobat Adobe updates have solved this known issue. Are you working on any other functionnality allowing to have embedded video in PDF files?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Stephane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. Have had the same issue for months and I've tested it multiple times and through different methods. Each time you attempt to play the video in the PDF, I see a 'connecting...' appear at the bottom for maybe 2 seconds - then the PDF crashes/closes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issue for the past year. And seeing the previousl person has yet to reply, I'll take this opportunity....

I tried to re-insert yet another video today.

I'm running PC

Version: 2020.013.20074 Adobe Pro DC. 

I inserted a small mp4 on my PC and my partner's Mac. 

Settings: Play video on visible and on open.

When viewing the saved PDF on a mac it runs fine.

On the PC, it has a pop-up screen 'Connecting...' then after a few seconds, the programme blips out of existence. just closes down (See below).

Embedded video connecting.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.

Acrobat DC 20.013.20074 (last version)

Windows 10 : last version

I can import my video but when reading it it crashes.

I try :

- uninstall / reinstall

- reboot

- 3 embed multimedia player

- remove security view/documents

- I tried with 3 PC all crashes or black screen

- Works on apple

You have a main problem with multimedia player on windows version. Please solve it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here is a sample PDF. The videos crash Acrobat everytime...

https://we.tl/t-pmJmDZyAHV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, still nolved in the latest updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*not solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.

Acrobat Pro DC v2021.001.20135 on Windows 10

When trying to open a video embedded into a PDF, Acrobat crashes (the program window closes without any error message). Hope this will be fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mirko,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this.

Would you mind sharing any sample PDF so we may replicate the behavior at our end? It will help us to replicate the issue at our end.

Please also share the crash logs with us. You may use the steps suggested in the following help document to collect the crash logs: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html 

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here's the link to download a PDF sample and the crash dump:

WeTransfer link (valid for 1 week) (911Mb)

In the event viewer the error I get is this:

Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: Acrobat.exe, versione: 21.1.20135.27840, timestamp: 0x6018e1a4
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: D3D9.DLL, versione: 10.0.19041.662, timestamp: 0x3292e3dc
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000005
Offset errore 0x0004d172
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0xaa0
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d70051d3dc42d7
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\D3D9.DLL
ID segnalazione: afd1c140-3cb2-442b-a857-fb28069f3a7a
Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l'errore: 
ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l'errore: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on PC!

Please find the solution Adobe.

Kind ragards, Bane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community, this is an ongoing issue with Windows Media Playback that we are investigating with Microsoft. The issue is primarliy affecting devices which have both and integrated graphics processor along with a discrete graphics card. While we are working on solving the underlying problem, we have discovered a temporary workaround which works by setting a default GPU for Acrobat. The workaround can be implemented using the Windows 10 Display Settings:

gauranja_0-1613734660739.png

Under Display Settings, head on over to Graphics Settings:

gauranja_1-1613735020095.png

You get a screen that lets you choose, by application, which display adapter (GPU) you wish to use:

gauranja_2-1613735175347.png

Add Adobe Acrobat (you will need to browse through the appropriate Program Files (x86) or Program Files file structure to point to the executable for the applications you wish to add here). Then click on Options and choose which GPU you want. In this case, I chose Power saving which on this system was the built-in Intel® UHD Graphics 630. Hit Save and you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of eBooks with embedded content all of which worked fine, but I am now running a new computer with windows 10 and adobe acrobat reader DC and the embedded video, which is set to autorun causes the file to crash on opening. I have done the recommended workaround but still to no avail. A second file with embedded video doesn't crash but then the video content won't open.. probably why it isn't crashing.. This is a concern, these books have required hundreds of hours of invested time. Please advise if you have further answers / solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. Thanks!

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, works ok for me. thanks a lot !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked great! Thanks! This also helped another problem I was having where I could only open one pdf at a time. Reader would crash everytime I tried to open a second file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solve did not work--this is so disappointing as i am having to disable and reformat hundreds of documents because of this issue.  A quick solve for something that Adobe knew was coming is the least that we can expect as clients. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give a workaround for mac as well please? PDF crashes after embedding video in InDesign. I have the latest Acrobat DC on BigSur. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did anyone find a long term solution for having to run PDF on low power mode. I am trying to create a lot of training material to be distributed and I want to avoid having to ensure everyone follows the steps to reduce the graphic settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines