• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC error: Can't delete page. Error is "one or more pages are in use and could not be deleted."

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to delete certain pages, Acrobat DC won't let me, and I get this error notice: "One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted."

I have tried the following:

1.    Setting the setting "View documents in PDF/A mode: to "never" (from default "only for PDF/A documents")

2.    Repairing installation

Neither of those worked. I've searched the forums and this seems to have been a regular problem, but none of the recommended solutions work.

Help!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Found a fix for this, if you view the page fit to window before you go to delete it in organise pages it lets you delete without the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MarkCLI,

As mentioned, Acrobat DC won't let you delete the pages from a multi-page PDF document. Does it gives the error only with a specific document, or with all the files you have been trying to delete pages?

Have you started experiencing this issue recently after installing the latest patch? If not, then you may update your Adobe Acrobat to the latest version first. Open Adobe Acrobat>Help>Check for update

Here is quite an old document where similar issue has been addressed : One or more of these pages are in use and could not be deleted. refer to the troubleshooting steps suggested there and let us know the result.

Workaround: One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted (Installation & updates)

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

To answer your questions:

1.     I've tried check for update and the program is up to date.

2.     It only affects some documents.

3.     I've tried the other items in the link you provided and still have the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a fix for this, if you view the page fit to window before you go to delete it in organise pages it lets you delete without the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John_Armour, after 2 hours of trying things this worked!
On AC-DC 2020 - I don't have "fit to window", but the menu item: Zoom > Fit Visible worked as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menu item: Zoom > Fit Visible works for one or two pages and then it throws same can't delete BS error. Exting PDF or whole app doesnt seem to do it. So annoying Adobe!

Anyone have any more recent ideas/success? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what you call a WORK-AROUND.

You could alway scroll to a page you aren't deleting beforehand.  That much was already established.

So the product is still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How annoying that Adobe hasn't fixed this.  I also got this error, thanks to the solution above, I was able to fix it, but this error has been reported as long ago as 2012 and still Adobe hasn't repaired it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the fact that they refer to John Armour's work-around as a "fix" should tell you all that you need to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has same issue

Says to myself "This happened a decade ago.  Surely Adobe has fixed this by now."

*Reads thread of Admins telling me cheap workarounds for things a $$$$$ software should't have a problem with.*

Open Bluebeam

Delete Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has frustrated me for a long time, but I finally figured it out: You can't delete pages that Acrobat designates as "selected". You can tell which ones are selected, on a Mac anyway, by the thin cyan rule around the thumbnail and the tiny black square lower right. To delete any other pages but that one, drag a marquee selection around the other pages, click the Trash icon or Command-Shift-D (on a Mac), and Bob's your uncle. Then, if you want to delete the page with the cyan outline that Acrobat's selected, click on a different page to select it, then drag a marquee (don't click) to select the offending page, and delete.

Why or for what purpose does Acrobat select pages in this way? Who knows! But that's the fix, at least for me.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.08.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's beyond pathetic that they won't fix this.  I've been using Bluebeam for awhile now and love it.  If Adobe cared about supporting clients at all this would have been resolved years ago.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are displaying one of the pages in your selection, then you will get the error.

Why Adobe subject matter experts overcomplicate this here is beyond me.

What's worse, is that the error occurs in the first place.  Of course I'm looking at a page I want to delete.  That's how I determined that it didn't belong!  FIX THIS FEATURE NOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like you've already tried some common troubleshooting steps, but if you're still unable to delete pages in Acrobat DC due to the "One or more pages are in use" error, consider these additional actions:

1. Check for Hyperlinks and Bookmarks: Pages with hyperlinks or bookmarks may prevent deletion. Inspect your PDF for any interactive elements, links, or bookmarks that might be locking those pages.

2. Use "Print to PDF": Print the PDF to a new PDF file (essentially creating a copy), and exclude the pages you want to delete in the print pinoy tv dialog. Save the newly created PDF without the unwanted pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me-

Go to All Tools --> Organize Pages

You can drag/drop pages in the order you want them, and also delete pages as needed. Not sure why I get the error message in tile mode but in the Organize Pages tab no issues. Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I continually get this cannot delete one or more pages error (started yesterday) and I am in Organize Pages. My only work around is to save & close the document and re-open it.  The only change I made in my system yesterday was when converting outlook emails to PDF they sometimes opened as a notepad- I had to do an "always open" wiht PDF and that is the only thing I have done and now getting the can't delete error. This is time consuming because I edit dozens of files daily. I was also surprised to see this error went back as far as 2012. My view is set to Actual Size. Fit visable doesn't change this error for me and I don't have a Fit to Window option. This is driving me so crazy that this is the first time I have been in or posted in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines