• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC on ARM (Microsoft Surface Pro X)

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in serious need of a new Microsoft Surface Pro device. That device will most likely be the top of the line X model as I've been waiting for 3+ yrs for the Book 3.

I’ve been trying to do the research to see if Acrobat DC desktop will work on ARM as this is the most important program for me that I use on a daily basis.

Can anyone help before I shell out $ 1,800 +??

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

The only Adobe Acrobat version that runs in ARM architechture is the Acrobat Reader mobile app.

Is this is what you're asking?

As of October 2019 Adobe announced that it is trying to bring all CC aps to this Windows 10 environment ( I read this somewhere and I'm not sure if this is accurate).

Keeping in mind that ARM64 is an entire different beast in the universe of 64bit computing, I would say that you're better off with a regular laptop with Win10 with intel or amd processors since Acrobat is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Actually, 64 bit x86_64 emulator is done by Microsoft, you just need to be an insider.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only Adobe Acrobat version that runs in ARM architechture is the Acrobat Reader mobile app.

Is this is what you're asking?

As of October 2019 Adobe announced that it is trying to bring all CC aps to this Windows 10 environment ( I read this somewhere and I'm not sure if this is accurate).

Keeping in mind that ARM64 is an entire different beast in the universe of 64bit computing, I would say that you're better off with a regular laptop with Win10 with intel or amd processors since Acrobat is still purely an 32bit applications that has been tested to run in 64bit version of MS Windows  that support intel or amd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warning, the Surface Pro X cannot run 64-bit Windows apps. That locks you out of most high end apps, and most Adobe apps cannot run. Today Acrobat is 32 bit, and would run, but at any time Adobe might change it to 64 bits. Updates are compulsory so you’d have nothing. Can’t recommend this machine at all. Older Surface Pro are fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC worked initially for me on a Surface Pro X but after some time the updates started failing and when trying to reinstall it I never got it to work. So, we have to wait for a real ARM processor version from Adobe. The Reader app and cloud services works fine! /Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+++UPDATE

Please read: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/apps-on-arm

The link above explains in detail what runs and what doesn't run in the new Windows 10 on ARM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just now learning all this - my last Surface Pro X ran Acrobat just fine. But I had to replace it due to a warranty issue and now my new computer won't download Acrobat. This really stinks because I use it all the time. I wish I had known.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you trying to download the software from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the chances of Acrobat (paid) running on ARM are very slim. It includes printer drivers, which must be rewritten for ARM. Not clear whether Adobe have any plans to do this, there are very few ARM computers at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also own a Surface Pro X with AMD processor and 64-bit system. Acrobat Pro has not been able to be updated for some time. That's why I uninstalled and wanted to reinstall. Also with me since the purchase of the Pro X in April the Acrobat Pro ran without problems on the Pro X. Now suddenly there is "compatible desktop app" more. I wonder: what is going on??? Before purchasing the Pro X, I had contacted Adobe support and they had confirmed to me that the Acrobat DC Pro will run on the Pro X. I'm totally disappointed with Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through the exact same problem. You need to install the older version of Creative Cloud (32bit) if you want to use Adobe's software. I contacted support and they gave me the link to download the installer after I asked for it. Nobody in support could understand why I wanted it, they all came with the same BS saying "Acrobat is not available for ARM". It sucks that now with my SPX I have to use older versions of CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ismaelesm.  Your tip to ask for the 32-bit installer literally saved me and I am back in business.  I actually can't thank you enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile I have the Acrobat Pro back on my PRO X. It runs and works perfectly. All I had to do was install it through the new Adobe CC Cloud Suite, but through Acrobat Reader (which I signed in with my account). Then it suddenly worked, as before. So the Acrobat Pro runs on ARM 32-bit! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

derHeidi,

I just received my new Surface Pro X and am having trouble getting Acrobat Pro to load on my desktop.  I have deleted all of the Adobe CC Cloud Suite and tried to re-download Acrobat Reader, but I continue to receive an error message.  Can you provide a bit more color on what you did to make it work?

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without pre-empting further feedback from @derHeidi, I too struggled to get things working. Here are the notes I made to myself as I pursued this, in case I had to do all over again:

• Uninstall Acrobat PRO
  • Uninstall CC (Creative Cloud app manager)
    https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html 
  • Install CC 32-bit (for this you need the version specified for Windows 7+, version 4.9.0.504 as opposed to the latest version of CC for ARM which is 5.3.5.518)
    https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html 
  • Install Acrobat Reader (32-bit?)
  • Convert some files from .docx to .pdf in Acrobat Reader  (fails a couple of time to upload, then have to sign in, then starting to work!). Empirically this may help "set" in some way Acrobat Reader functionality. Not sure if needed but this step was part of my test path. Other tests that I ahve done skipping this were not successful. 
  • Close Acrobat Reader
  • Install Acrobat DC PRO from the CC interface (version 4.9.0.504 , which maanges the 32-bit apps!)
  • Start Acrobat Reader and do .docx to .PDF conversion again (note even though you have PRO installed, still do the conversion one more time in Acrobat Reader)
  • Start Microsoft Word and open a *.docx file and do Save As PDF there. This feature is installed by Acrobat DC Pro. Now this should work without error (previously I would get some missing RDF resource error or some 28000 licensing check error).

I wasted so much time figuring this out; hopefully this helps you. I also posted in a number of Adobe support channels about the main issue - almost impossible to get Adobe ARM apps and 32-bits to coexist on an ARM computer which can only deal with these two types of apps. Adobe changed the CC app manager and now supports only 64-bit apps and ARM but almost no Adobe apps are made for ARM so ARM computers need 32-bit apps. You ahve to choose between two CC versions, choose your poison:

• CC latest version 5.3.5.518 to specifically for ARM but you lose support for 32-bit so you cannot manage any of the other Adobe app versions.
  • CC older version 4.9.0.504 to run 32-bit versions of Adobe apps but then you cannot install Lightroom (ARM) or Photoshop (ARM, beta).

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soooo much it totally worked. Let's hope for ARM support soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you need to uninstall all newer versions of the CC Suite, including Acrobat Reader. Otherwise, the Acrobat Pro will crash again and again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@derHeidi, thank youfor your suggestion. Was beating my head against the wall trying to fix sudden CC apps issues on my Surface Pro X (ARM). Adobe support was useless... your post solved it.

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys. Sorry for bad english I'm french ! I have the same problem. So I followed exactly what you said but I couldn't log in either on CC or Adobe. Everytime I try to log in I get disconnected. Any help please? Is Adobe Acrobat working now on your Surface Pro X device? Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not as of now. Adobe updated their CC and now it's harder to run an older version of Acrobat. I actually cancelled my subscription and moved to Drawboard; it works fantastic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats a pitty. Having very similar issues with my Pro X. Love the device so i might move to Drawboard too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a surface pro x - running adobe acrobat 9.0 (an old box version); running also Acrobat Reader. BUT while i tried to install adobe acrobat 2021 - a current version - doesnt work, couldnt intall at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++Edited reply, corrected grammar errors,

There seems to be a known issue when installing Adobe Reader DC and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC in parallel (or same current user account in a system), specially if they are different versions.

These two programs share some of the same libraries which sometimes conflict as soon as  you open one or the other.

In addition, only the uninstaller package knows how to uninstall itself.

Manually uninstalling and reinstalling using the operating system's built-in configuration settings is not the best approach to uninstall / reinstall Adobe programs completely (or correctly).

If that would be your case, It may be possible that the old installer package and some of its libraries are still lingering around.

This means that if you manually uninstall the old Adobe Acrobat version, for example, some traces of this software will remain in folders and subfolders unkown to the user, making it very difficult to perform a clean installation for the newer version.

That said, when you install a new version, that new installation package will run a small routine to detect if other versions of the installation package exist in the system. If it finds a previous version of an installtion package it may throws errors, or like in your case, would not install at all because the small routine tells the that installation package that a current version already exists.

Can you provide a screenshot of any errors that may pop when it doesn't install at all?

To properly remove old traces of these software, I would suggest to uninstall everything you've installed already, and then use the Acrobat Cleaner and Repair tool.

This tool is known for removing old traces of the software and also preparing the system to accept a fresh reinstallation of Acrobat and Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, 64 bit x86_64 emulator is done by Microsoft, you just need to be an insider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How well does it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, how do I download the Adobe 64 bit x86_64 emulator for the surface pro x. I am part of the windows insider program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines