• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat is PAINFULLY slow to edit doc

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a PDF created by another company and simply wanted to delete a few fields and add a company logo.  The app is so slow I can barely use it...  Just to move the logo I've pasted using the arrow keys is an excruciatingly slow process.  Moving left or right or up or down "5 clicks" can take 30 seconds.  Seriously adsurd...  I.e.  Get up and walk away from the machine while it is trying to move an image within the document or even simply scroll.

Yes, my machine can handle this app.  Brand new iMac w/ 256gb of ram.  Acrobat acts like I'm using an Intel Pentium from the mid-90s.  I run Illustrator all day / every day without an issue.  Acrobat is unusable.

Surely there's a solution???????

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Hey Daniel

we are sorry for the trouble. 

Please make sure that you have the latest version of the application (20.006.20042) Go to Help > Check for Updates.

If it still doesn't work please try the following steps

If it still doesn't work, pleas

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

the solution was changing the preferences, as documented earlier in the case. it did not require uninstall / reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is this happening with every PDF or just that one you're working on?

Can you please share what was the source software that was used to create that PDF, and also what is the latest version update in your Adobe Acrobat Pro DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobepk

We are sorry for the trouble. As described the application is slow in editing the document.

++ Adding to the discussion

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs that you try to edit? Please try to edit a different PDF file and check. If its a file specific issue please share the file with us for testing. Please upload the file to the document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) generate the link and share the link with us.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version of the application please use the link (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html)
Make sure you have the latest version 20.006.20042 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates. For more information please refer to the help article (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html)

Is the file stored locally on your computer or is it on a shared network drive? Please try to download the file to your computer and then try to edit and check.

Also, for testing purpose please try to turn off the protected mode. Go to Adobe Acrobat DC > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Turn off the protected mode and uncheck the Enhanced Security > Click OK > Reboot the application and check.

Note: Please turn on the security after testing.

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awful programme. PAINFULLY SLOW. Like being back in 90s. Why are we paying for this crap?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are extremely sorry for any inconvenience. Could you pls. share the logs for hang as per the steps described in this page:

Collecting logs when Acrobat/Reader DC hangs or freezes in Mac

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with PC windows 10 pro 64 bits with Xeon processor and 32Gb of ram and Acrobat DC 20.006.20042 ON ALL PDF FILES.

Work perfectly yesturday and is a pain today.

I try online (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) and the pdf open as normal (fast).

I update to version 20.006.20042 yesturday...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey DomRoch,

We are sorry for the trouble. Please try the troubleshooting steps suggested above and see if that helps.

If it still doesn't work, please share the log file with us for testing as described above.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PM send with link for DMP file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed acrobat reader (to do a test) and it opens files quickly, just acrobat pro DC is slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open both Reader and Acrobat side by side, go to Edit-->>Preferences.

Compare the preferences settings that are currently working in Reader and mirror them in your Acrobat.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, set Adobe Acrobat as the default PDF viewer/handler for your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't open the preferences on both at the same time.

How we can downgrade version??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you open both preferences at the same time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, is in French but it's say : This dialog box configures preferences and cannot be displayed while another PDF document preference dialog box is open. Close this dialog box, then try again.

Capture_d'écran_040120_082234_PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is precisely my point.

You should be able to open each program separately and mess around with preferences settings on separate containerized instances.

So this could be an Adobe Acrobat/Reader glitch between these two applications that seems to trigger a preventive policy when they're running side by side.

We're just re-discovering an underlying issue.

If you don't get this problem with other PDF viewers when you open them up at the sime time with Adobe Acrobat,  then why would it happen with two different products from the same vendor?

However, as you can still open both and run them simultaneously side by side (as long as you don't open the Preferences), it raises another question:

What happens if you completely uninstall Reader and leave just Arobat in that computer?

Will it open Adobe Acrobat Pro DC painfully slow if Reader doesn't coexist in the same Microsoft Windows box environment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you pls. provide us the logs in order to debug the issue? Pls. follow the below steps to get the logs:

For windows:

• Open Task Manager. You can right-click an empty area of the taskbar, and then click Task Manager or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + SHIFT + ESC.
  • Click the Processes tab, and then find the Acrobat/Reader DC process. For Acrobat Professional/Standard, the process name is Acrobat.exe, and for Reader it is Acrord32.exe.
  • Right-click the Acrobat/Reader DC process, and then click Create Dump File. If you are prompted for an administrator password, type your password and click Continue.
  • The Dumping Process dialog will display the location of the dump file once it is created. Note the location and click OK. The location of the dump file is \Users\{UserName}\AppData\Local\Temp.
  • If you are unable to see the AppData folder, see how to show hidden files and folder in Windows.
  • Compress the created .DMP file to .zip or .rar and share the file with us using Adobe Document Cloud or a SharePoint location.

For Mac:

• Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor.

• Click on the Acrobat/Reader DC process you need to sample. Click the gear icon, and then click Sample Process.

• Wait until the sample is created. Save the document on your desktop.

• Open Terminal by going to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal. Type the command:

sudo spindump -file ~/Desktop/spindump.txt

• The spindump.txt file is saved to the desktop. Collect the sample file in step 3 and the spindump.txt file and share it with us

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similer issue. I can open a document in Reader or Pro but when I go to Copy text, it hangs and I get the watch icon. My CPU shows 20% ussage by Adobe after I do it and after about 5 min, it will actuall copy the text, or it goes to "not responding" and I have to end task in Task Manager. Happens on multipule machines and different documents. Older PDFs it doesnt do it on, only newer ones that have been created within the past month. It started after the latest update to Adobe. I have unchecked Protected and Enhanced security and it still does it. I work for the VA and these document are to assit with our fight with COVID-19. So to have a solution sooner than later would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Daniel

we are sorry for the trouble. 

Please make sure that you have the latest version of the application (20.006.20042) Go to Help > Check for Updates.

If it still doesn't work please try the following steps

If it still doesn't work, please create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in mac (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012) and try using the application there and check

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amal.

Everything work fine now. The cleaner do a good job.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open a document in Reader or Pro but when I go to Copy text, it hangs and I get the watch icon. My CPU shows 20% ussage by Adobe after I do it and after about 5 min, it will actuall copy the text, or it goes to "not responding" and I have to end task in Task Manager. Happens on multipule machines and different documents. Older PDFs it doesnt do it on, only newer ones that have been created within the past month. It started after the latest update to Adobe. I have unchecked Protected and Enhanced security and it still does it. I work for the VA and these document are to assit with our fight with COVID-19. So to have a solution sooner than later would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel Z

We are sorry for the trouble. As described the application is freezing when you try to copy the text from the file.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try to copy from a different PDF file and check. If its a file specific issue please share the file with us for testing. Upload the file to the document Cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/) generate the link and share the link with us.

Also, make sure you have the latest version 20.006.20042 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

if it still doesn't work, please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012) and try using the application there and check.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens on PDFs that have been created within the last 30 or so days. It doesnt matter what computer here in the VA you use, it reacts the same on those documents. It started about a week ago with the latest update the VA put out to our systems. I can email you a document that it is happemning on if you would like to test drive it yourself. the document was created by our Medical Meadia tema and this is what they do for their jobs so if it cannot be fixed, this could pose a problem. Thank you for your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Havent had a response from you on my issue and wanted to reach out. I can email you a document that this is happening to and maybe you can figure out what is going on. You can email me at [Personal info removed by Mod: Email]and ill reply to your email with the document if you dont mind. I need to get this figured out more sooner than later due to the COVID-19 here at the VA Hosiptal.    Thank you for your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Daniel!

I am really sorry for the delayed response and for the trouble you had. Would it be possible to share the sample PDF files in a Private message only so that we can test it at our end?

Also, collect the process monitor logs for the machines on which you are experiencing this issue for further investigation. Download the Process Monitor tool, run it, try reproducing the issue, save the log files. 

Upload it to the Document Cloud storage, generate the share link and send it in the private message only.

Would it be possible to share the source/original file from which the PDFs are generated? Also the name and version of the application along with the workflow/steps?

Which method are you using to copy the text from the PDF files? Are you using the selection tool to highlight any text in the PDF file and paste it in the same PDF or somewhere else?

Or is the application is freezing when you are in a specific tool and trying to copy the text for example in the Edit tool?

I have also sent you a private message with few more instructions, please check your email inbox and share the logs and sample files.

Thanks for your time and patience thus far.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

[Edited response]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its still slow, after I applied above rectification. Could you please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Read this post.  Wouldn't bother jumping through the hoops as a result.  Typical bloated software.  No way to solve.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines