Acrobat Metadata Question

New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User A is listed in the metadata as the “author” of a PDF document. Is it possible for User B to come along later and create a copy of that PDF document (whether through “save as,” print to PDF, or some other way) such that the “created” date in the PDF copy’s metadata reflects the date the copy was created, but User A is still listed as the “author” in the copy’s metadata?

Through some experimenting of my own, I know that if I create a Word document that someone else (while signed into the network using their own computer and log-in information) later opens and chooses to “save as” a PDF by selecting .pdf as the format in the format drop-down menu, the metadata of the resultant PDF still reflects me as the “author.” And I will remain the “author” reflected in the metadata of the PDF even if the other person makes and saves changes to the PDF, in which case the created date remains the same as the original PDF but the metadata reflects there has been a modification on the date/time that the changes were saved. I also know that I can take a PDF document on which someone else is listed as the author, and if I select “print to PDF” the metadata of the resultant PDF will reflect me as the author and the created date will update to the date I did the “print to PDF.”

Is it possible that the created date would change if someone copied the pdf (print to pdf or some other way) without the author changing to the person who copied it?

If anyone has good resources on understanding Acrobat metadata that woud be appericated as well. I have not found any good resources with Google yet. 

Thank you

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Basically, everything is possible. The metadata can be changed to any values you want. It can't be relied on to be accurate at all.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Acrobat only sets the document Author when a PDF is created. It never changes it afterward. When you "Print to PDF" you are creating a new document, so you are the Author of that new document. 

However, the metadata is not protected, anyone can change it.   

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines