Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat PDF has text showing as blank squares

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

One of our users is coming across an Acrobat issue that happens across multiple documents.

When they open some PDFs in Adobe Acrobat, some of the text gets turned into blank squares. The PDF works totally fine for the user in Google Chrome, and the PDF also works totally fine for me in my instance of Adobe Acrobat.

User opening the PDF in their Acrobat:

WG31854870_0-1724788028752.png

Me opening the same PDF in my Acrobat (some info redacted for privacy):

WG31854870_1-1724788076269.png

The font appears to be Arial, so it's not a strange font that I have downloaded that the user doesn't. 

I have discovered that using Save as other -> Optimized PDF produces a fixed PDF for the user. However, this is not something I need to do in my instance of Adobe Acrobat. The documents that are problematic for the user in his Acrobat work fine for me without any action.

So far, I have tried using AcroCleaner for the user, rebooting, then re-installing a fresh version of Acrobat 64 bit.

I also tried un-checking "Save As optmizes for Fast Web View" in Edit > Preferences > Documents. However, the issue persists.

Are there any other setting changes or fixes we could potentially try for this issue? Thank you! 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue.  it appears to be with acrobat dc for us.  2020 adobe acrobat opens the files fine.  they are files from a hospital.  opening in edge/chrome/firefox works and if we reprint using microsoft print to pdf it from the browser it will show the characters.  so odd and annoying.  we have tried all the googlefoo with check boxes from prefrences but nothing pops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our users also are mainly experiencing this issue when opening files from hospitals.

Similarily, opening the PDF in any browser works, and using Microsoft Print to PDF also fixes the PDF. 

It's just the original PDF has the broken characters in the newest version of 64-bit Acrobat it seems, since the PDFs display correctly in my less up-to-date version of Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, the PDFs display correctly in any version before 2024.002.21005.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also having this issue with one of my clients. 50% of the PDFs they work with are sent by hospitals. They are having a really rough time. The PDFs render 100% fine in Edge or Chrome or any other PDF reader program. We are using the latest version of 64bit Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines