• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro 2020 opens endless notepad messages when you attemp to print an enrypted PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know re-distiling an Encrypted PDF is not supported. My issue is the fact the Adobe doesn't just print a single message but will open what seem to be endless copies of Notepad notifying you of this fact.

9 times out of 10 this will continue until the system runs out of memory and the user is required to do a hard reboot.

If I can get CMD open on the system multiple TASKKILL /F /FI "Notepad.exe" will get things working again until Adobe stops the spam.

Is there any way to stop this. I realize what the user(s) are doing isn't supported. But locking up the system isn't a suitable response.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user can close Notepad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that. The problem isn't that a single notepad instance is created. It just keeps on spawning them. Then the user is stuck playing wack-a-mole with Notepad until their system stops responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not normal behavior. It usually only opens it once. Are you maybe trying to print it as a part of an Action? Also, what's your exact version of Acrobat, and OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the issue on my install as well. It is attempting to print encrypted PDF with alot of pages, not part of an action. File Print - Acrobat PDF driver.  Acrobat will spawn a large number of notepad windows with the message

"%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
This PostScript file was created from an encrypted PDF file.
Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%"

Like I said I get that you can't do that. It's the system crashing number of notepad instances that get spawned that is the issue.

Acrobat: Acrobat Pro 2020 20.005.30362

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share with us a sample file that causes this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to see if I can find an example that exhibits the problem. The particular ones I know about are full of PPI and private information that I cannot share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been trying to find an example PDF that I could legally share and haven't found any. Incidentally this seems to only happen on PDF's with a large number of pages. I have a few single or 2 page ones that only throw up one instance of notepad. I am wondering if there is something in the larger PDF's that is causing it. Perhaps some embeded item. So far I haven't found anything common between them though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines