• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC & Acrobat Reader DC on Windows Terminal Server

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to install Acrobat Pro DC & Acrobat Reader DC on Windows Terminal Server?

Our IT Support company installed Pro DC for some users then locked it down just for them, but now Reader DC is no longer available to anyone.

In short we want some users on Pro DC and some on Reader DC - all running on WTS.

Has anyone sucsessfuly configured this set up?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

I have not had time to reproduce this yet... but I seem to have success getting my terminal server to work correctly with Reader DC and Pro DC..

The main change I made was using the Adobe Reader DC  installer from:   https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

(I mostly work with workstations, so I usually just google  acrobat reader download and go through the link at: https://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=TTGWL47M)

I now have both Reader DC and Pro DC listed on my menus and can pick which one I w

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

There is no separate 64-bit Reader and Acrobat. They install to the same place under the same name. It is no longer possible to run Reader and Acrobat on the same machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question...  in my test environment, installing Pro DC seems to replace Reader DC.   I can start Reader DC with plug-in errors (renaming the plug-ins folder lets Reader open)...  but if you go to Default Apps, it is not listed as an option  (Pro DC is the default).

I have a customer that has 6 or 7 users on a Terminal Server, but only wants to license 3 of them for Acrobat Pro.  I was told that I could install both Pro and the free Reader on the same machine.   There does not seem to be a way to allow non-licensed users to open pdfs with the free Reader after Acrobat Pro DC is installed.

Acobat Pro DC works fine with Named User Login on the Terminal Server, but those without logins can't open pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having a similar issue. I need to install Reader and Pro on the same machine(I have 4 machines at home), so I can use one at a time to edit PDF's and use just the Free Reader on the other 3. After installing Pro all my Free Reader got "upgraded" forcing me to sign in on every computer as I use it.

So basically I let my kids and my wife without free acrobat reader on their PCs because I can be signed in on one or two at the same time.

I used to be able to have Free Reader on all PCs, at the same time with Pro, the Pro didnt work unless I was signed in, but the Free Readers were still functional.

Whats going on here Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue (https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-reader-amp-acrobat-no-longer-co-existing-in...

went a round with adobe support but they refused to help because 'reader issues" are only supported here in the community fourms. Nevermind that half of us are Adobe Acrobat users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link doesnt seem to work,, could you check and repost it please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had time to reproduce this yet... but I seem to have success getting my terminal server to work correctly with Reader DC and Pro DC..

The main change I made was using the Adobe Reader DC  installer from:   https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

(I mostly work with workstations, so I usually just google  acrobat reader download and go through the link at: https://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=TTGWL47M)

I now have both Reader DC and Pro DC listed on my menus and can pick which one I want as default for individual terminal services users.

I'm about to reset my server to a previous checkpoint before Adobe installations,  and make sure my results weren't a fluke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed...  my test server is now working correctly.   

MS Windows Server 2016 with RDS installed.

-Acrobat Reader DC  v21.007.20095     (from  https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/)

-Acrobat Pro DC v21.007.20099      (downloaded install package available at Adobe Admin Console for Teams)

-Adobe Creative Cloud v5.5.0617    (bundled with the install package downloaded at the Teams site)

The only change I made from my failed attempts was to use the enterprise installer for Acrobat Reader DC.

I entered install mode on the terminal server and installed  Acrobat Reader DC, rebooted, re-entered install mode and installed the Acrobat Pro DC/Creative Clound bundle.  Rebooted again.

I logged in as Admin on the TS server itself, and opened Acrobat Reader DC.. no errors.  I accepted the Eula, then closed Reader. I then opened Acrobat Pro DC... and clicked the upper right X when it asked me for my username... at which point Pro DC closed.  I checked my menus and my options for setting default apps; both Reader DC and Acrobat DC were present.

Next I logged into the TS from a PC in two separate sessions with two user accounts and made the same menu and options checks.  I then set one user to have Reader DC as default, and the other to use Acrobat Pro DC as default.  Double clicking a .pdf file under each user had the expected result... opening the correct version of Acrobat.  I logged into the Acrobat Pro DC using my account credentials and Pro DC operated as expected.

Hope that helps someone in need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the double post...  I'm having trouble with the forum updating on my PC.   I posted and then it disappeared for me.. so I thought maybe I screwed something up and reposted... LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success..   I started from scratch and reproduced my results:

MS Server 2016 with RDS installed

-Acrobat Reader DC v21.007.20095   (downloaded from https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/  )

-Actobat Pro DC v21.007.20099   (Downloaded from Teams admin console, using Acrobat template)

-Creative Cloud v5.5.0.617       (bundled with Acrobat Pro installer from Teams console)

Everything now works as expected.  Both versions show up on start menu, and both versions show up under default app options.  Logging into remote sessions with different users allows me to choose which user gets which default app.   Login into DC Pro with my Adobe ID works as expected.

So the main difference between success and failure was to use the enterprise installer vs. the general installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you download the Enterprise Installers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/        should let you download the Acrobat Reader DC for your OS

I downloaded the Acrobat Pro DC from my Adobe Teams account on the Admin Console.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried your method.

I installed the version Adobe Reader DC 64 bit via your Entreprise link.

After I downloaded the version Adobe Pro DC 64 bit via the console management Adobe (template Adobe).

When I install it, the system asks me to uninstall Adobe Reader DC.

Did you have the same problem ?

Which version did you install ?

Thank you for your help.

P.S : it's not a Windows Server 2016 from scracth but current (production).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no separate 64-bit Reader and Acrobat. They install to the same place under the same name. It is no longer possible to run Reader and Acrobat on the same machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS I suggest you add this to the wish list Feature Request/Bug Report Form (adobe.com)

Please share the link so others may upvote it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine installed as 32 bit for both products using the instructions listed

"

https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/        should let you download the Acrobat Reader DC for your OS

I downloaded the Acrobat Pro DC from my Adobe Teams account on the Admin Console.  "    You do need the Adobe Teams Licensing.  I would be sad if I did NEED the 64 bit I suppose.

Happy days

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been struggling to get them both installed at the same time. It would always tell me that a better version was already installed. I was able to get around it by running the installers at the same time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines