New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For the same PDF with

- an opening password you have

- a permissions password you don't have

With Acrobat Pro DC, it's not possible to remove the opening password (will keep asking for the permissions password).

With PDF Expert, it's trivial to remove the opening password (won't ask for the permissions password, I suspect it does this by creating a new PDF?).

Now:

- why can't Acrobat Pro DC do the same as PDF Expert, as it is very handy? (or where is this option if I overlooked it?)

- what is the point of a permissions password to remove the opening password if it can be so easily bypassed?

Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF Expert is breaking the rules of security, it seems to me. But I haven't read the rules recently.

"What is the point [of a permissions password]"? Arguably, none at all, since so many software writers ignore the rules. That's the problem with it being a public format. Adobe could have kept this secret, and locked it down, but PDF would never have become successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unless the two passwords are the same, you should not be able to do that. If PDF Expert allows it then it's breaking the PDF ISO Standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines