• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC - How can one convert a PDF from color to black & white?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the old option under Preflight for Convert to Gray Scale is gone and I can't find anything else that might do it. Any help out there?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Hey shubus,

We would certainly help you.

Open the PDF in Acrobat DC and choose "Print Production > Preflight" and choose Convert to grayscale under Convert Colors category.

screen2.png

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anubha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey shubus,

We would certainly help you.

Open the PDF in Acrobat DC and choose "Print Production > Preflight" and choose Convert to grayscale under Convert Colors category.

screen2.png

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anubha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any possibility this answer can be updated to the 2017 version - my options don't match and, although I figured it out eventually, an updated screen shot showing the current interface would help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it changed much, and you can post screenshots yourself of the new location, if you wish...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't think of that - duh!! These screen shots are from the Windows version (Windows 10 Pro).

2017-12-26_15-46-50.png

2017-12-26_15-53-42.png

2017-12-26_15-30-49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preflight choices in the current version of Acrobat DC include both convert to grayscale and digital printing b/w. They do not produce the same results. Convert to grayscale may leave a spot plate; and all 4 (CMYK) plates are still there even if content is only on the black plate. Digital printing b/w puts everything only on the black plate and only a black plate still exists; there are no CMY plates in the document any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Digital Printing (B/W) profile under the Essentials Preflight Library has much more baggage than you really need simply to convert colors. Some of the checks and fixups are highly irrelevant. In the same Essentials Preflight Library, you are much better off using the single fixup Convert color to B/W in the Color spaces, spot colors, inks group which limits it operations to strictly conversion to grayscale.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

The instructions are helpful but they dont' work anymore. You can't chose "save pdf" - instead of going ahead with "Print" document. Throws up an error saying - chose save instread of print... I've tried many other setting including in print production - which is not what I actually want to do... Just a long long work arround. None work.

I can't believe I'm paying a billion $ company for software that has overlooked such a basic function on a program.... Why do adobe not have a simple menu option like in Photoshop and Illustrator for document colour management that allows you to convert to grey scale. Would that be too simple???

- Tania

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This really helped 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I access the Print Production tab??  Or the Preflight in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC?  Not seeing the same tool bar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right after I posted this..I found it!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it! Options have moved around a bit in the DC version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shubus

That's great

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Anubha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this does get me a great greayscale image, I must lament the inability to produce a decent black & white (NOT grayscale) pdf.  The workaround of converting to a 300dpi "tiff" file still works of course, but the loss of resolution is very noticeable.

Outside of Photoshop, I'm not aware of a solution to this yet, but at least grayscale is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IS there a way to only convert certain pages? I noticed when you select preflight only pages the analyze and fix option goes away. Also how do you get to this forum from the Adobe Forums page? I had to google the question and find the forum that way. Otherwise on the main site I keep getting redirected to a non support forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to convert specific pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhat of a kludge, but extract the pages you want to convert as a separate PDF file. Convert them to grayscale with Preflight. Then import them back into the original PDF file and delete the color versions of those pages.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document that has mostly black text but a few items that are green on the same page. When I go into Preflight I can see that when the document prints it is using all of the colors to create black which is eating up a massive amount of color toner cartridges. Is there any way to make the black on the page print black and not processed black while allowing the small amounts of color print in color??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of these options, but none of them worked. What worked for me to get a monochrome image (black and white, no grey) was the following:

1. Open the PDF in Photoshop in RGB mode

2. Use the Image->Adjustments->Black and White and set all the values to -200

3. Adjust the levels with Image->Adjustments->Levels and drag the leftmost slider all the way to the right.

4. Save as Photoshop PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these suggested solutions works. I am on the latest 2023 versions of Adobe Software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this

mariahweyne_0-1689002123159.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my hero! Thank you so much for providing and up-to-date and simple solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thats great if one want to print it in black and white but does not work to save a pdf in a black and white format. There used to be a setting to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines