Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC - Password protect

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some users in my organisation who like to use a speicific password to protect doucments, this is 5 characters long. Since upgrading them to Acorbat DC Pro, it seems the password is no longer available as it does not meet the minimum requirements for the password. 

I was wondering if it might be possible for us to change the minimum requirements or if this is completely locked down by the software? 

Any help would be great, thank you in advance. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Hello,

Adding to the above information.

As you wish to set the password to less than six characters for the PDF, please refer to the information provided in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/set-pdf-passwords-fewer-than-six-characters-long.html

Hope the information helps.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing.

With the new release of version 21.05.20048 the minimum password length must be at least six characters long. Now the document security password must be at least six characters long for both the ways by which you can set a document password:

1. File > Properties > Security tab: The minimum password length is introduced in this release.
  2. File > Protect Using Password: The minimum password length was introduced in a previous release.

For more information please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/whats-new.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Adding to the above information.

As you wish to set the password to less than six characters for the PDF, please refer to the information provided in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/set-pdf-passwords-fewer-than-six-characters-long.html

Hope the information helps.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same issue; however I have followed both the link and steps you've provided as above and it continues to prompt for a 6 character password.  Are you aware of any issues with using this link at this time? Thanks in advance for your time and assistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aurora!

Please provide the information as asked in your following post on the community: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/minimum-password-character-requirement/m-p/131548...

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aug. 3rd, 2023:  In both Windows 10 Pro (latest version/all updates installed to date) and in Windows 11 Pro (latest version/all updates installed to date) and using "Acrobat - Standard" (paid monthly subscription; also latest version/all updates installed to date) the "Set fewer than six characters long password for a PDF" article (above) is useless.

The Action Wizard workaround requires upgrading from paid Acrobat Standard to paid Acrobat Pro (more expensive and includes extra features, which are useless to me).  No thanks.  I just need to be able to set 4-character passwords the way I always have been able to.

The Windows registry edit workaround doesn't work at all.  😞

@ADOBE, please update Acrobat to include an advanced setting allowing users to decide how many characters they would like to require for their document passwords.  Even if choosing less than 6-characters triggers a pop-up warning saying Adobe doesn't recommend this, but allowing the user to proceed if they choose to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines