Have started having issues with Acrobat XI Pro version just shutting down after about 5 seconds.
Have unistalled and re-installed and same is happening. This wasn't happeniong pre new year and worked fine until Dec 2019.
Anyone able to advise what is going on and how to fix it?
Can you send the link
I have been an Acrobat Pro user for many, many years. I have held and currently hold a valid Acrobat 11 Pro license. I go to many remote sites here in WA, Australia where the internet is at best sketchy if available at all. I do not want any cloud-based applications that confirm the app via the internet. Adobe has killed that for me, Acrobat 11 pro no longer runs on my laptop, it shuts down quickly as many others here suffered. My solution is amazingly simple - I have moved to Nitro Pro. It lacks a few of the features I loved and used in Acrobat true. But it WORKS. Sorry Adobe, but you have lost me as a customer. I understand cloud-based application. But to not offer both, cloud based and non-cloud-based applications is just plain dumb.
I agree with the general sentiment, but it's important to understand that no version of Acrobat is "cloud-based". They are all local applications, installed fully on your computer. The only thing that is cloud-based is the licensing of it.
Until recently you could activate the "perpetual license" version of Acrobat over the phone, but now it has to be done online. Adobe failed to provide an explanation as to why this change happened. I think they're just trying to cut costs on human phone support and did not realize (or care) that it can affect quite a lot of people with limited or no internet connection, such as yourself.
What's still not clear is whether the classic version of Acrobat (currently Acrobat 2020) only requires online access for a single time, to initially activate the license, or does it sometimes "call home" to validate it once more. If the former then you could still use it in your scenario. You just need to activate it on your laptop once where there is internet connection, and then go out to the field where there isn't, and it should still work.
I agree whole heartedly. Whether it's the app or the validation that requires the internet, it doesn't matter if it won't work.
I just had the same issue again after Windows updated and I installed Norton. The solution is simple though. Just block Acrobat's access to the internet and ver 11.0 will work just fine. Depending on how your system is set up, will determine how you do that. Before Norton, I created the inbound and outbound rules described earlier in this thread. After Norton, I simply went into Norton's settings and clicked the switch to block internet access for Adobe and it's working perfectly again.
And for those who don't understand why I don't just upgrade, I don't like Nitro at all, I have custom scripts I use in ver 11 and I need to be able to work when I don't have internet. So the new versions don't work for me.
1. Install official Microsoft Compatibility Administrator found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install#adkwin10
2. start "Compatibility Administrator (64-bit).exe" in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Kits\Windows ADK\Application Compatibility Toolkit\Developer and Tester Tools\
3. expand "System Database" > expand "Applications" > find and click "adobe creative suit 6" > on the right window "right" click pdapp.exe "Disable Entry"
4. Run Acrobat XI Pro, now insted of crashing it will show a "new" adobe activation agreement (this is what was crashing the acrobat x pro), you can now accept it and Acrobat XI Pro runs with 0 issues in 2021. (no need for any compatibly modes).
I have also been having the same problem with Adobe Acrobat XI closing after a few seconds. I was able to get it to work by pure accident! I decided to give up trying to get Adobe to run so I looked for a free PDF program and I found SumatraPDF. I loaded it and it seems to work fine. Out of curiosity I tried my Adobe XI, and nnow it is working perfectly! I can only assume that loading and executing SumatraPDF did something to the Adobe files that cured the problem.
I know this is WAY off the beaten path but it is the only thing I have tried that actually worked.
PS: I don't think it appropriate for Adobe to damage a software application that has been bought and paid for.