• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard disappeared

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe Acrobat Reader DC just updated to a 64 bit version and the process seems to have deleted my Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard, which I use to update pdf's.  I want to get it back.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat 9 ist very, very old and not officially compatible with current versions of Windows 10 or 11. Support has stopped already 8 years ago in 2013. Adobe also doesn't support a parallel installation of Reader and Acrobat, because of possible side effects. It might work, but doesn't have to, as you can see now. So, you can try to reinstall Acrobat 9 with Windows compatibility mode after installing Reader. If you don't have any DVD or setup.exe available you can check, if the Windows recovery has created a snapshot from before the update. This depends on your system settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have setup.exe but it tells me I have an installed product already (probably Reader?) and won't let me continue with setup of Acrobat 9 standard.  How do I check if the Windows recovery has created a snapshot from before the update?  I looked at Recovery but it said this option was not available because the update occurred more than 10 days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is basically theft.  One of the reasons I have left it on, is that Adobe DC would eventualy die and not open files.  I would get an error.  Its been around for years like that.  There also was the problem that DC was turning pages yellow.  I paid for this program, license or otherwise and you don't have the right to erase it off of my computer.

I also have the same problem.  I needed to break out a page (or export) a file and Acrobat 9.0 was gone.  It was not deleted and put in the trashbin.  Rollback saves the registry settings.  If the program files have beebn deleted, then rollback won't do any good.

I also would need to find the install key to put it back in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me after installing Windows 11. How can I reinstall Adobe Acrobat 9? I have a disk and I need it to scan documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an e-mail saying to highlight the solution, and to date everyone has reported the problem but Adobe has not come forward with a solution.  If I can provide a install key, can you provide something that will provide the pdf edit capability I had with Acrobat 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a BS reply!  So what if it is "very, very old", so am I.  That doesn't mean that I am so old I can be killed without notice.  Plenty of us have configs that have been painstakingly worked out and for Adobe to uninstall one of our component apps without warning is unconscionable.  How does a company even think that is acceptable?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.   This is unacceptable.  We purchased DOZENS of licenses from Adobe for acrobat 9.  Sure, it was years ago, but that's irrelivant... we paid for them.   If you purchase a new car, it doesn't vaporize in 10 years when the maneufacturer brings out a new model.   Windows 7 did not uninstall itself when Microsoft discontinued it, neither did Internet Explorer.  This is dishonest business practice.  

Should we bill Adobe for the dozens of hours spent reinstalling Acrobat 9 so that our employees could resume work?   I want to say "Has it ever dawned on the folks at Adobe that some organizations may be using proprietery legacy software that depends on Acrobat 9 or other legacy Adobe software?"  but, I know Adobe is well aware of this... because anybody that's in this industry is well aware of this.  

Please give us a better answer or fix the problem. 

I have a bag full of Acrobat 9 DVDs with valid licenses on them, I can pull the EULA and share it here, so that you can show me in this legal document where it says that Adobe may remove the sowtware whenever they see fit.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0 was fully functional on my Windows 10 machine until the day it was deleted via an unrequested Adobe update of Acrobat Reader in late 2022. I'm on board with any sort of a class-action lawsuit that results from this unwarranted action.

FYI- I was forced to uninstall Reader to be able to re-install Acrobat 9.0, which I did successfully. Then there was another update from Adobe which re-deleted my Pro 9.0 the day after I re-installed it. This is really beyond belief!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, deleted mine too.  Which yes, it is theft of course.  The least Adobe could have done is pop a warning that my paid Acrobat 9 was to be deleted, then I would abort that process.

If you will first delete Acrobat DC, then Acrobat 9 will reinstall OK (no updates however).  The browsers show PDF anyway, even from local PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it automatically re-install Acrobat 9, or are you saying that removing DC will put my Acobat 9 back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you will have to do the reinstall of Acrobat 9, but if Acrobat DC is first removed, it should reinstall OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prior help. I too had my PAID version of Acrobat 9 erased WITHOUT WARNING when I upgraded Adobe Reader. I uninstalled Reader and reinstalled Acrobat 9.

I use Acrobat 9 to edit files created by an older program. The text Touch up Text tool no longer works. I get an error "All or part of the selection has no available system font. You cannot add or delete text using the currently selected font."

I have tried to use a solution I found from 2016: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/error-no-available-system-font.html 

Unfortunately this did not work. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone successfully reinstalled Acrobat 9? If so, then how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed all of the tips listed above and was still unsuccessful in getting Acrobat 9 to reinstall.  Contrary to comments by Radzmar, above, I had been running Acrobat 9 with every version of Windows, including the most recent versions of Windows 10, in parallel with Reader, with no ill affects.  I finally bit the bullet and purchased Acrobat 2020.  The Edit features and interface have been complete reorganized to the point that it is no longer intuitive where to find specific features.  One that I use often is the Snapshot too.  I challenge you to find it in the new program -- it's there, but nowhere obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another major drawback of losing Actrobat 9, is that it will export a PDF as a JPG file without argueing about it.  The 2020 version will not perform thjat step if the file is locked.  So, you have to print it and then scan it back in.  I'm looking for a non-Adobe reader that will allow export at this time.  A waste of time and money.

I may be contacting our state attorney general's office as this was a electronic theft/break-in of my computer.  I'm wondering if it will count as hacking?  A product I owned/licensed/paid for was removed from my computer without permission or a requesdt to confirm the action.  No difference in the end result than from a ransomware attack.  They will "give it back" (not really) by taking $299 from me.

They also closed my "case" on this issue without resolving it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I succeeded by uninstalling Adope Reader DC and then re-installing Adobe Acrobat 9 from my purchased disk. Good luck, Marcia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And does the Adobe updater run, or did you install the ancient initial relase of 9.0 and now can't install any of the years worthj of updates and patches they released?  Many companies have killed their support engines and license key validators (ie microsoft) making a re-install impossible or worthless.

Just give me back what youi took away without permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, a reinstall is possible if DC is deleted, but the Acrobat 9 updates are gone, it now says None Available.   I wish I had known about this before I allowed Acrobat DC to update and remove my paid software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.. there's the rub.  You didn't "allow" the DC updater to remove Acrobat 9, it just assumed control and did it without any warning or notice.   That's where Adobe needs to be chastised, for taking an arogant attitude that it does not need to even think about what you want or need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is no different than a hacker or ransomware attack.  They broke into your computer, erased your data on your computer, and didn't even offer to sell it back to you.  Adobe is behaving worse than a hacker.  

You ar more organized than me.  I can not find my original at this time.  And further, they deleted my adobe.com account (even though they claim they don't do that) so they can't look it up for me.  I sent them copies of previous emails from them and they still claim I didn't exist.

If this has hapenned to enough people it might be time to talk to a class action attorney, or a couple of state attorney generals.  I didn't buy a subscription and I don't want a subscription.  I avoid any software that is solely subscription and/or cloud based.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on board with a class action.  I never saw an update announcement from Adobe, I never gave permission for an update.  Acrobat 9.0 was simply erased from my computer.  I know it was there, because I used it just a few months ago for combining some pdfs.  In order to uninstall DC and reinstall 9.0, I would have to go buy an external CD ROM, as my computers no longer have, and the original install is on a CD.  I paid for this license, and have been using without issue for years.  Unacceptable that I too am being held hostage to again pay in perpituity (as it is now SAAS instead of a one time license for use).  This is theft, and Adobe must be sued and taught a lesson that they cannot treat their consumers like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went throug the same thing with a fully functional Acrobat 9 being deleted by DC installer. I was able to reinstall 9 after uninstalling DC but trying to reinstall before removal gave an error message about having a more functional program already installed.

I then had to download the update files from Adobe FTP and install them in order. There are FTP instructions at this alternate community thread Note that I did not try the internal update as worked for the one author there since it was an older response, but installed all updates from the downolads, through 9.55.

Fully functional Acrobat 9 restored, zero compatibility issues with Win 10. Reader DC will remain gone forever as will any ideas I may have had about buying a new version of Acrobat. To me this is just another example of corporate greed. If it is not illegal for Adobe to delete paid software without consent or even a notice, it very well should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is a violation of either federal hacking laws, or computer terrorism laws.  Basically, they did what ransomware criminals do: they entered your computer without permission and removed your data.  Worse than theives, at least the ransomware guys offer to let you buy it back and only encrypt it.  Adobe totally erased it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The installation of Acrobat Reader DC 32 bit doesn't removes the files of Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard. 

May be when you install the 64 bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines