• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat DC shortcut keeps reappearing on desktop.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option to turn off this GRUESOMELY ANNOYING reappearing of this shortcut?
It does this at home and at work every so many weeks. At home I can just delete it, but at work I need to ask IT department every time to do this....

Is this just commercial branding?
What is the point of having this shortcut anyway?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

I can verify that the Adobe Acrobat Reader updater no longer creates an Adobe Acrobat.lnk shortcut on the Desktop. I am glad, that they finally implemented this. I was tired of deleting it with a Scheduled Task:

AdobeAcrobatLnkDeleter.vbs

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim path
path = "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Adobe Acrobat.lnk"

if fso.FileExists(path) then
    fso.DeleteFile path
end if

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been seven weeks since I've seen an Acrobat icon appear so this appears to be a solution:

The last time the icon appeared, I checked System Configuration and the Update Service was unchecked and it showed disabled on 1/30/23 but the damn thing was RUNNING! This is what worked for me.

Open Task Manager.

Select AdobeARMservice amd right click on it.

Select Open Services.

Under Services (Local) select Adobe Acrobat Update Service. (mine was set to Automatic)

Right click on it and select Properties.

Under the General tab halfway down find Start Up Type and select Disabled from the drop down menu.

Click Apply.

Click OK.

No more unwanted icon!

In a couple weeks we'll see if that worked or if Adobe somehow manages to override Windows. Already have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @danny284879207x6e 

Hope you are doing well.

The new version of Adobe Acrobat (23.01.20143) is now available. Please try to update the application from the Help menu > Check for updates and reboot the computer once and see if that works for you.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update (Apr 11th) is what triggered a new icon on my desktop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to Adobe support directly regarding this issue. They refused to help and instead directed me to this page where you upvote the issue: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac?query=Stop%20putting%20an%20...

*Note, it's listed many times by different people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Task Manager.

Select Open Services.

Under Services (Local) select Adobe Acrobat Update Service. (mine was set to Automatic)

Under the General tab halfway down find Start Up Type and select Disabled from the drop down menu.

Click Apply.

Click OK.

This works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, do I hope this works!! I just did it. I'm so SICK of always finding another Adobe Acrobat icon on my empty Desktop and needing to Delete it. I never use Adobe Acrobat anyhow except on the rare occassions when someone sends me a PDF to read.
FYI for myself, I logged in here with my Facebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will work fine for a while, but when you do update Adobe (even manually) it will turn these services back on and change them to automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rhonda2656427068wt 

We are sorry to hear that the issue still exists. Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat you are using? To check the version, go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.01.2017x installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Let us know if you still experience this issue.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the correct version and still had the icon appear on my desktop:

[cid:image001.png@01D98348.063A7A80]

Rhonda J. Dickenson

[P.I removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, stop doing this nonsense with desktrop icon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nickita Surtsev 

Hope you are doing well. This issue is addressed with the new version of Acrobat - 23.01.20143.

Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.  You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what Amal? I don't believe you.
I closed down my subscriptions to Adobe almost a year ago now and switched to Foxit and surprisingly, it was better for my needs. I'm just one former Adobe user who you've lost forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. I always have up-to-date Adobe Acrobat, my version is 23.01.20143.

Be sure, if it is still not fixed (I am 100% sure, he is lying), I will write here with next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came back here to say that you Adobe are LIARS!

The icon, of course, came back again. You knew this and LIED!

I have officially uninstalled my Adobe Acrobat for FOSS alternative!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Task Manager.

Select Open Services.

Click Apply.

Click OK.

This works fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how they mark their answer as the correct answer without knowing if it fixed everyone's problem or not.

If you have an itch to try a techy way to solve the problem, checkout my answer above with the PowerShell script. I have been running it like this for months and no longer have an issue where the shortcut reappears. I solved the problem on the system level to make sure Adobe can't work around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can verify that the Adobe Acrobat Reader updater no longer creates an Adobe Acrobat.lnk shortcut on the Desktop. I am glad, that they finally implemented this. I was tired of deleting it with a Scheduled Task:

AdobeAcrobatLnkDeleter.vbs

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim path
path = "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Adobe Acrobat.lnk"

if fso.FileExists(path) then
    fso.DeleteFile path
end if

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This issue is addressed with the new version of Acrobat - 23.01.20143"

Amal. this problem is not solved.
During the disastrous* update to version 2023.006.20380 the icon reappeared on my desktop once again.

* See this topic: https://community.adobe.com/t5/holding-room-discussions/crazy-and-brutal-update-bis/m-p/14248473

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can verify that the Adobe Acrobat Reader updater no longer creates an Adobe Acrobat.lnk shortcut on my Desktop. I am glad, that I uninstalled this malware for this exact reason half a year ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April 2023 here! Dear people of 2022, we're still having the problem, so fret not.

I'm creating an app that detects when certain files are created in specific locations and perform an action based on what the file is. This will be a direct delete without second thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe uses this tread to see what solutions people come up with so they can find ways around it to make it appear again!
Its like Adobe hase fun in trolling users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ceriel26069959g8ml 

Please update the application to the recent version 23.01.2017x from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once and see if that works for you. 

Let us know if you still experience this issue

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amal. No, I wont!
This is a problem for years and it is fixed like 100 times already.

And the only relpy you give is, "please update" "please tell the version you are on".
No Amal, no!
Adobe is just f*cking with us.

Ow and I am using foxit for some time now without any problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have any updates. As I said, I am on the latest version.

Rhonda J. Dickenson
Sr. Computer Services Asst.

[P.I removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked for updates, updated to version 23.001.20174.0, and a shortcut was not created on my desktop.

I have never used the "Check for Updates" option to update Acrobat Reader, so I hope the installation process is the same when the app auto-updates and that the desktop icon is not created. Fingers crossed.

Note that recently an Adobe employee posted in this thread that version 23.01.20143 corrected the issue — that version did NOT correct the issue for me.

I appreciate Adobe support trying to help, but Adobe provided incorrect information multiple times in this thread. I don't know why this issue has been so difficult for Adobe to understand, or why we were told multiple times the issue was resolved, when it was not.

If the issue is truly resolved now, that would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines