I'm not sure if this is the same as some of the other posts, but my case seems more severe than some of the other posts on the forum, so here goes:
I'm on a desktop computer that was running Windows 10 64-bit 21H1 since mid-2021. I had the previous version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 64bit installed and it was working just fine.
I update the Acrobat Pro DC to vv22.1.20117 (also 64-bit) with the hopes that the latest version is the one to be on.
After installation, I immediately noticed that Acrobat Pro DC wasn't set as the default app to open pdf files. I proceeded to check all my settings and manually make it default.
I then started having random weird errors/glitches which include:
1) If open Acrobat without any document open, hovering over certain parts of the menu bar (e.g. View) would cause an "internal error has occurred" message to repeatedly pop up on the screen. I'd have to force close the Acrobat Pro DC to make the pop-ups stop.
2) Various menu icons of the Tools section would not have icons and would appear as if they are invisible, but the icon/buttons still generate a tooltip when the cursor is hovering over what is a blank space on the screen.
3) If I print to PDF, I would get an "internal error message" especially when trying to print a new PDF from an edited PDF. Or else, if I do print it crashes the app immediately at finishing. The printed files will also not be able to open after the crash.
4) Certain PDF documents which were created/edited in the previous version of Acrobat Pro DC now open with "internal errors" for certain pages, or the entire document.
5) I've also started seeing "Accessibility" messages which don't happen on my other computer with the same latest version installed, and I have not enabled them in moving from the previous version.
I've tried doing:
a) Repair the current installation No luck.
b) Uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and doing an Acrobat clean in between installs. No luck.
c) I finally resorted to doing a fresh install of Windows 10 64bit to version 21H2 (I didn't mind since I needed a fresh install anyway) and all my drivers and software are up to date. No luck.
Acrobat Pro DC 64bit just refuses to work on this computer.
My work laptop though is on Windows 10 64 v21H2 (also a recently fresh install - April 2022) and Acrobat Pro DC is working just fine on that machine.
I've resorted to removing Adobe and using an alternate free version of the software that can at least make me print and do basic editing.
Any thoughts on what I could try would be appreciated. In the meantime.
Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.
As described you are getting a couple of the issues after you updated the application and tried some troubleshooting steps with no luck.
Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...
You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows and try using the application there and check.
@Amal. - I was not convinced with either of the suggestions, but I tried them anyway. I installed Acrobat Pro DC v22.1.20117 64-bit (AGAIN) under the new user account suggested and the same behaviour described in my original post still happens.
I would have thought that the fresh install of Windows 10 would have eliminated the need to try resetting or a new user account. But at least now we know on my machine it didn't help. This also included trying to a "repair installation" as well while Acrobat was installed, and that didn't help.
I've included a few screenshots this time of some of the issues I described in the original post.
Screenshot 1 - "Internal error" message shows the moment the cursor hovers over "View" and several parts of the UI.
Screenshot 2 - I was able to create a PDF file from MS Word using Acrobat, so this still worked.
Screenshot 3 - The moment I try to edit or print to a new PDF from an existing PDF file, either "Internal Error" occurs or I get the error shown in the picture.
Screenshot 4 - Attempting a "repair installation" from within Acrobat or via Control Panel didn't help either.
So I'm still back to square one and using an alternate software application to keep working on creating & editing PDF files.
Thanks for the response even though it didn't help. 🙂
I am having the exact same problem. Is there no solution for this?
Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.
Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20142 installed. Go to Help . Check for updates and reboot the computer once.
Also, a small video recording of the steps you are doing and the issue you are experiencing will be very helpful.
@Amal. - I've gone full circle with this issue, and without a clear solution on the ongoing bugs on Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (64-bit) coming from anyone from Adobe, it would appear that there is no solution.
And if you want proof of why I believe the above, take a look at the number of posts on this support community to see how often the exact same issues are being experienced by other users.
@defaultdqf7p26au98q - I'd recommend using alternate software like Foxit PDF (reader or Pro), as it just works without any of this back and forth and lack of clear solutions.
I'm done with wasting time troubleshooting these issues and losing productivity because of it.