• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - Redaction tool not working

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continually have a problem with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC when I try to use the redaction tool. 

• I select the text I want to redact 
  • I click 'Apply' 
  • The pop-up which should appear (confirming redaction, etc.) appears as a blank box, and the entire programme basically freezes. I can do nothing else, except open my computer's Task Manager and click 'End Task' for Adobe Acrobat. 
    (See attached image.) 

This is a huge problem, since my role as an employee and my unit's function requires the ability to fully and securely redact on a daily basis.  

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - Version 2021.005.20048 

Can anyone help? 

Adobe Acrobat Pro - Redaction tool error.JPG

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joan,

Thanks for sharing the detailed information. 

There are couple of possibilities for such behaviour of Acrobat.

1- The document you have been working on and trying to redact content is secured. Which isn't letting you to complete the process. Open PDF>right click (Ctrl+D)>Document Properties>Security

and for testing, check with a different file. 

2- If this is the case with multiple files, then there's a slight change we need to make in the application's preferences settings. 

Navigate to Acrobat>Edit>Preferences>Security (Enhanced)>disable "Protected Mode at Startup", "Protected View" and "Enhanced Security">OK>close and reopen Acrobat.

Note: these changes are only for testing purpose. Once tested, please change it back to the previous setting. 

Let us know if any of the suggestion helps.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

I have followed these steps yet I still have the issue. I have even re installed the program and this still happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I have tried multiple documents and the same problem appears with every document, also have checked that the documents are not secured. I also disabled the settings in phase 2, but it has not solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, along with the fact that Acrbat Pro DC freezes at random and frequently. The only way to close the program is through Task Manager. I really miss my Arobat Pro XI. It was supposed to have a perpetual license. I guess the end of the world happened and I missed it because when Adobe stopped supporting XI, it stopped working after the first Windows 10 update. Software companies make enough money. They should let you choose to purchase a program instead of having to pay by the month for the rest of your productive life, which won't be very productive if using products like Acrobat Pro DC. I have read and tried more fixes than I can count and the app is still near worthless.

Is there anybody at Adobe who knows enough about the program to help me fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My IT claims they have fixed my problem my reinstalling but still to
no avail, I still get the blank box when I try to apply my redactions. If I
only had to do redactions there are some other tools out there but I need
to remove underlying metadata and links as well. I am getting a new
computer soon, so will wait to see it that helps at all. If not, I am
seriously looking for a different product because I don't use anything else
with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The second solution work, not sure what you meant about testing. What am I supposed to do now? I assume that if I restore the original preferences the problem will return.

Thanks,

Shai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Second option worked for me. The route to finding the settings was a bit different though:

Menu - preferences - security(enhanced)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have a temporary solution to this. 

1. add JavaScript to the side pannel 

2. Click redact and highlight the areas you want redacted 

3. open the JavaScript tab then on the top of the page hit debugger 

4. In the bottom box paste the following :

this.applyRedactions(); 

5. Click CTRL and enter at the same time after pasting the above text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issues and this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for us as well. Hopefully Adobe will release an update that addresses this issue without the need for a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked but now I get the blank window when trying to save the document after applying the redactions. Anyone find a solution for that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I did another workaround and "Printed" it again to Adobe pdf. But, these workarounds are annoying when I'm paying for a pro version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as well. THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this worked for me as well, Thank you. I hope Adobe will fix this bug soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe came up with a fix for this yet? The provided workaround is a little time consuming when having to work on 600 page documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the workaround and it won't save after I apply the JavaScript so I have to print with the redaction and then re-scan.  We redact hundreds of pages a week.  What is being done about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having many problems with redaction. Many of the items I am trying to redact are not found. I try various subsets of the text string and sometimes they work and sometimes not. It would be far easier at this point to print, mark out with a market pen, and scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates from Adobe?? I am having this issue as well and I have thousands of documents to redact and "sanitaize" by Friday. I can restart my computer which will make Adobe Pro redaction tool work for 1 to 10 documents before I get the blank screen. I am so frustrated. 

Adobe -Any updates here???????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the workaround but i couldn't save. When i tried below steps I managed to succesfully save the file.

"Go to Acrobat Reader Preferences > General. - Uncheck the box for "Show online storage when saving files"

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing we ran into was various hang ups with a lot of the features in Adobe. We eventually stumbled multiple AcroCEF folders in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC" directory. Additionally, non-pro users had other issues like using "Fill& Sign" and had multiple AcroCEF files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader". They would just be named AcroCEF_1, AcroCEF_2, and so forth. We deleted all the _# folders, relaunched reader and had the user attempt to redact. It worked for the Pro user AND all the Adobe Reader users who had problems and multiple AcroCEF folders.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, just make sure to hit the folders for the products you use, Acrobat DC, Reader, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines