• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - Redaction tool not working

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continually have a problem with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC when I try to use the redaction tool. 

• I select the text I want to redact 
  • I click 'Apply' 
  • The pop-up which should appear (confirming redaction, etc.) appears as a blank box, and the entire programme basically freezes. I can do nothing else, except open my computer's Task Manager and click 'End Task' for Adobe Acrobat. 
    (See attached image.) 

This is a huge problem, since my role as an employee and my unit's function requires the ability to fully and securely redact on a daily basis.  

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - Version 2021.005.20048 

Can anyone help? 

Adobe Acrobat Pro - Redaction tool error.JPG

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem...I click apply, blank white box appears and everything freezes.  The only escape is Task Manager and 'End Task'.  I have used the redaction tool on a regular basis with no problem, but now I experience the same issue that other posts describe.  I have tried the suggested fixes with no success.  Adobe, please get your act together and fix all of these BUGS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had the same problem and have tried almost all the fixes here.  Nothing worked.  Then, after I ended the task from Task Manager, I hit "More Details" in the Task Manager and saw that Acrobat and its related programs were still running.  I ended them all and then relaunched Acrobat again.  I was able to redact!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem for months now.

Acrobat Pro - Version 2022.001.20169 | 64-bit
Running on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.2364]

Adobe Fail.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my company it's wasnt specifically related to just inserting .doc it was a little bit of everything. The blank white screen after authenticating, followed by the error that some features in adobe are unaviable, to redacting, to merging, to fill in sign. After working with Adobe the fix seemed way to simple but it did the trick for us! 

Adobe Support had me go to 
C:\Program Files\Adobe
Right Click Adobe DC
Click Properties
Click Security Tab
Click Advance
Remove both SID permission profiles starting with the letter "S" in our case it was 
S-1-15-3-1024-3635283841-2530182609-996808640-1887759898-3848208603-3313616867-983405619-2501854204
S-1-15-2-1980882837-3654086619-1222525990-3753702683-3075969641-4188866857-51130414

According to Adobe, these SID's are meant to be be removed after the install/update is completed. However for what ever reason for versions after the September release the SID's are remaining in the profiles and when launching Adobe it's defaulting to the Adobe SID's instead of the Entitled User. Adobe is working with Microsoft on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way I was able to solve this was to use the action wizard. I used the 'search and remove text'command, which lets you set phrases you want to remove followed by the 'apply redactions' command - this is where I was running into the bug previously, when trying to apply the redactions, however via this method I had no issues.

P.S. In my particular use case I had one repeated phrase I was trying to redact across multiple files. If your situation requires you to redact different phrases, it would require you to input them in the settings under the 'search and remove' command. 

Saif28102192uigi_0-1674659942860.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All this is just dandy, well and good, when one has time to play with workarounds.  I'm on a time-sensitive, 2-day deadline with 327 pages needing redacts and hundreds of other documents to collect, preview, edit, and, from and with them, write more than 40 court-required responses for, and haven't the time to figure out how to make a program do what the program -- I PAID for -- is supposed to do!  Please get me a fast, working answer ASAP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been stuck with this for weeks, the following solution has fixed the problem:

Navigate to Acrobat>Edit>Preferences>Security (Enhanced)>disable "Protected Mode at Startup", "Protected View" and "Enhanced Security">OK>close and reopen Acrobat.

Hope it's not too late for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much - this has driven me MAD - you are a superstar for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic - this worked for me - like many others I have wasted hours trying to get the redaction tool to work.  Thanks Matthew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution unfortunately does not work for me (and our whole organization).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Matthew29447798xgo7 

Thank you for sharing your findings with us. 

Acrobat and Reader official update 23.003.20215 is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. You may manually trigger the update early by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates>reboot Acrobat.

More information about this release is here: Release Notes | Adobe Acrobat, Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update has not solved the problem for me. Changing the security preferences worked but seems risky. Would appreciate an alternative solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well, latest update does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Pepsi-Josh 

Could you please confirm the Acrobat version you were experiencing this issue? We need the following details for further investigation:

1- OS version

2- Acrobat version

3- Is this a file-specific issue?

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue on at least one PC (redact is not commonly used, so it may exist undiscovered elsewhere)
Messing with the security settings as suggested above has resolved (not before trying many other options including uninstalling and reinstalling)

1. Acrobat Version (latest)
(Continuous Release | Version 2023.003.20269 | 63-bit, Version File Version: 23.003.20269.0, AGM Version 7.001.00000 | 64-bit, CoolType Version 8.003.00001 | 64-bit, Core Version 23.768 | 64-bit, JP2K Version 4.000.00000.52671 | 64-bit)

2. OS - MS Win 11 Pro Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

3. Definitely not file specific.

Frustratingly, on my own sytem (exactly the same Acrobat version AND OS version), using the same file, the redact tool works fine, without the need to disable security settings.

I am keen to re-enable those settings as soon as possible for my user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe...Just wondering when the redaction tool is going to be fixed? Its now November 2023 and I am experiencing the same problems as others with this tool which is very frustrating especially when paying for this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fabulous! This worked for me! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Also happens when trying to add signatures to an Acrobat document using the "Request E-signatures" tool and "Sign yourself” tool (on the “Fill & Sign" tool palette). Both generate a black box when trying to add signatures, similar to what happens when I click on the “Apply” button with redactions.

Acrobat: Continuous Release Version 2023.003.20269

The suggested fixes I've tried so far:

1. Uncheck "Enable Enhanced Security" (at Preferences->Security (Enhanced)).
  2. Uncheck both "Show online storage when opening files" and "Show online storage when saving files" (at Preferences->General).

Neither of the above fixes the problem.

I did have some success using the JavaScript debugger to execute the following script:

this.applyRedactions();

That JavaScript applied the redactions successfully, but I really just need the "Apply" button to work per its designed fuctionality. I'm working with Adobe Customer Care now, and will post back if anything they advise yields a proper solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work-around solution (from Adobe Customer Support for me on macOS Monterey v12.6.8):

Navigate to the following folder and change the permissions for that folder (using the “Get Info” command; Command-i) to “Read & Write” (from “No Access”) for the “everyone” group.

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/DC/WebResources

Note: the Library folder near the start of the path specification above is not the user’s Library folder, nor is it the System’s Library folder. It’s the Library folder at root.

Hope this helps. Adobe Customer Support has identified this as a bug experinced by many (?) or at least several users. They expect to fix it in an update to Acrobat next month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good god, this has been driving me insane for the past month! Thank you so much!!

I can confirm this works on my M2 Macbook Pro on macOS Ventura 13.5.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this - on my MacBook Pro with Sonoma 14.0 the WebResources folder doesn't exist within /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/DC - Adobe, any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into Preferences and then on the language tab select "Select at application start". Restart the application and select "English". Mine was set to "English with support for Arabic". Once I'd done this redaction worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue has been confirmed by Adobe as a corrupt registry entry that relates to AcroCEF.exe

Resolution is to delete the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AcroCEF.exe

Delete all sub keys as well

Fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, this key will return on subsequent updates if it starts to happen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm encountering the identical issue. When I click apply, a blank white box pops up and the entire system freezes. The only way out is through Task Manager and End Task. I've been using the redaction tool without any issues before, but now I'm facing the same problem as others have described in their posts. I've attempted the suggested remedies, but none have worked. Adobe, it's crucial to address and resolve all these bugs promptly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines