• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC won't open on Win10 current desktop

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While running multiple desktops on Win10, opening a new .pdf file will do so in the desktop where Acrobat is currently open and if that was on a different desktop then you are shifted to that desktop instead of a new instance opening on the desktop you are currently at.  Is there a way to configure Acrobat not to do this?  I want to stay on the desktop I am currently on.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Hi David, Drewbern,

Sorry for not understanding the issue previously. I tried replicating the issue on a Win10 machine and the behavior you described above is replicable. As per my understanding, this behavior is controlled by the operating system as I tried with other applications as well- MS Word/Excel for ex. and they exhibit the same behavior. It opens the file (in the desktop) where the application is currently running.

As the issue seems to be related to the operating system,  you may share

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi davids,

As per the issue description mentioned above,  you want Acrobat to open a new tab on the same machine on which Acrobat is currently open instead of opening it on another monitor, is that correct?

Please try troubleshooting steps given in the following forum threads discussing the similar issue:

Adobe Reader DC opens on the wrong screen

How open Adobe Reader 9 in second monitor by default? [Locked]

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is not the issue at all.

In Windows 10 you can have multiple desktops configured. Ex: I have three desktops created. Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is open on desktop #1. I move to desktop #3, when I go to open a .pdf file Acrobat opens it in the instance on Desktop #1 and moves me to desktop #1 at the same time. Very frustrating. I would like acrobat to recognize that I want a new instance of acrobat opened on the current desktop.

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. No other applications I've used have this problem. It is indeed very frustrating. It is not at all related to having a main monitor and second monitor. Can Adobe please look into this?

It's really very simple to recreate the issue to see for yourself. Just swipe up using 3 fingers on the track pad, add another "desktop" workspace to your desktop instances, and try opening a pdf file using acrobat in separate desktop workspaces. As no other app has this problem (Chrome, Word, File Explorer, Edge, etc), I'd expect Adobe to have done something about this by now. Can you please provide an update as to whether you understand what the problem is or not? Adorobat​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, Drewbern,

Sorry for not understanding the issue previously. I tried replicating the issue on a Win10 machine and the behavior you described above is replicable. As per my understanding, this behavior is controlled by the operating system as I tried with other applications as well- MS Word/Excel for ex. and they exhibit the same behavior. It opens the file (in the desktop) where the application is currently running.

As the issue seems to be related to the operating system,  you may share your feedback with the team using the following link: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

Having this problem as well. MS Word/Excel will briefly switch to the desktop on which they are already open, but then it does correctly go back to the working desktop and opens a new instance there. I would be very happy if Acrobat did the same thing!

-Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam, 

This is an issue also on my machine and, like the others, Adobe's are the only applications that have this issue. I have 6 desktops open with different instances of Chrome, Word, Excel, OneNote, and others in each one. Adobe products are the only programs affected. 

I use different desktops to manage different clients. You wouldn't believe how annoying it is to only view one PDF at a time (or one client's worth of PDFs at a time). Picture this: I'm working on PDF blue prints for a client #1. Then I switch to client 2 briefly. They've sent me a PDF to review. I open it, Adobe yanks me back to client #1's desktop, displaying client #2 PDF next to client #1 blue prints. I can't compare client #2 PDF next to their materials on client #2 desktop unless I close BOTH PDFs, go back to client #2 desktop, reopen PDF. 

I change between clients dozens of times per day. Imagine doing this every time. Very frustrating. 

Thanks so much for digging into this further. We would sure appreciate a solution! 

Best,

Angie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has a workaround ever been published? Seems like this thread is 2 years old, and I am still fighting this issue on my Windows 10 machine with multiple "desktops".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  This is a real drag and destroys much of the virtues of virtual desktops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above needs more upvoting. This issue with Adobe, opening up on only the same desktop #x is frustrating. It takes away from the productivity tool Windows 10 offers. Please please please help Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just use another tabbed pdf viewer , vivaldi browser also works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this same issue. It is very frusturating. Can anyone recommend an alternate pdf viewer that doesn't do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still facing the issue and this is only for Acrobat and not for other apps. Any plan to resolve this issue !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
Did anyone find a solution? This is really frustrating. 

Thanks, Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey everyone, @p3n resolved this in his post here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/arcobat-and-multiple-desktops-in-windows-10/m-p/1...

Make sure to give him kudos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines