• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro Not Responding and constanly crashing (windows 11)

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5 computers all with 12th gen i9 CPUs and EVGA 3080 Ti GPUs with each holding 64-128 GB of G. Skill RAM. Out of all 5 computers Adobe Acrobat is Not Responding and crashes. I have updated each computer, followed ALL of your troubleshooting methods on your website and in these forums. Accumilated 10-12 hours of my own time following Adobe guidelines to "fix" their program. Yet, the program is unusable. I even spent my own money to have two SEPERATE IT companies remote in on all FIVE of my computers to try and find the problem. $617 later they can't even find the problem to make Adobe not crash. I am paying to use your software and paid a 3rd party to try and find out why its crashing. Still, I am left with a non functioning software. How is this even possible? 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Is this an issue started recently after you updated the application?

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Check my solution above: 

1. Uninstall Acrobat pro

2. Install Reader 

3. Disable Protected mode in settings (security)

4. Install/upgrade to Acrobat pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Dear Amal,

Thank you for your reply, but I followed the second suggested solution (install reader first) and so far it works fine. If crashes start to occur again I will do as you advise in order to generate the needed logs.

Kind Regards
Yiannis N. Panagiotou

[P.I Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

This is probably an edge case, and certainly a "DOH!" / facepalm / 1D10t issue on my part, but in case it helps someone:

Acrobat repeatedly "Not-Responding" was caused by a file with an invalid network path in the "Recent" list, in my case.

The "Recent" list is apparently re-read periodically throughout normal app usage, and for each entry an attempt is made to follow the path and interrogate the file in some fashion (I suspect for grabbing the first page as a thumbnail).

Using Acromon and Procm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

After navigating the Adobe website multiple times I finally found the correct place to download the app, and it now works. The URL is https://get.adobe.com/reader/download?os=Windows+10&name=Reader+2024.001.20615+English+Windows%2864Bit%29&lang=en&nativeOs=Windows+10&accepted=mss&declined=&preInstalled=&site=landing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? Go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the application updated to the recent version 22.1.20085. Go to Help > check for updates and reboot the computer.

What is the workflow/steps you are doing that leads to application crash?

Please collect the crash logs as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html and share them with us via the document cloud link as explained here https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html for further investigation.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm have the same issue. I cannot even get Adobe to stay open long enough to navigate to Help. This is a huge problem! My Adobe DC is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Is this an issue started recently after you updated the application?

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an issue I began experiencing when I started using Windows 11. DC still works on my old Surface Pro that is running Windows 10. I noticed in the app properties that I cannot choose a Windows 10 compatibility mode on the Windows 11 machine, only modes for Win. 8, 7 and Vista. I will try your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have done the trick! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know.  Mine had been MIA for a week now. I am trying to get all my files backed up and need to open them to make sure I want to save them.  This is crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sound like my computer is having the same issue. I am using lenovo yoga 16inch running windows 11 23H2 and a AMD Ryzen 5 7535U with Radeon Graphics and 8gb of ram. II have deleted and reinstalled Acrobat multiple times to no avail.  I don't really do anything too demanding on Acrobat mainly just combine 3-5 pdfs into one file and usally I have edge open with only 3-4 tabs open. I've told Acrobat to send diagnostic info so hopeful it gets fixed soon  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive please download it to your computer locally and then try again.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.06.20380 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

Let us know how it goes

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the files that I am using in acrobat is using are in my downloads
folder on my computer and i am running the most recent version 23.06.20380.
I am also a full admin user. I will try to use the repair install but I've
deleted and reinstalled it multiple times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, please try to repair the installation and reboot the computer once.  You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win and try using the application there and check.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with all of my PDFs that I open in Adobe Acrobat Pro Version 23.8.20458.0. I work with as many as 15 different PDFs per day. I can try to print or just hit a down arrow to try to move to the next page and it hangs with the not responding message. It always recovers and becomes usable after about 20 seconds, but it is EXTREMELY ANNOYING and definitely below the otherwise excellent performance of all my other Creative Suite applications. It almost feels like the app is trying to log on over the internet to check the status of my subscription before proceeding. I have updated to the latest version and even did a complete uninstall/reinstall but none of that fixed the problem. Please help! - Jon Bjork

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Lenovo P1 ThinkPad with i7 processors and 64 GB of RAM, running fully patched Windows 11. Over the past two weeks, Acrobat DC has become increasingly unstable.

First were error popups that would only go away after closing the program via Task Manager. I made sure the software was updated, but the behavior persisted. I then ran repair installation within the software itself.

Now it crashes as the application is starting. I followed the steps outlined by Amal below, with the same non-effect. I'm struggling to understand why we're paying for software that does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that.

Please confirm the version of the application you are using. To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat. Also, please collect the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html , procmon logs https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html and share them via document cloud as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html for more investigation.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, CC Desktop says I'm running Version 22.0 (the app crashes when loading). I believe I've followed the other steps you've laid out, but the software is a bit light on explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC logs appear to have uploaded themselves as "AdobeLogs_20220815_024236_897-win-GS.zxp"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken

Sorry to keep you waiting. This issue is reported to our engineering team and they are working on it for the fix.

We will share the update as soon as we get any news from them.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem. An adobe tech remote worked on my system for over an hour this evening to try and resolve it- nothing. It works in my administrator account, but not on my user account, which has admin priviledges. If this is an ongoing microsoft/ adobe compatability issue then something needs to be done- I still have no way of editing images in paint when I edit pdfs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal. It's been nearly a month, and no word. Also, no Acrobat DC - the app crashes within two seconds of trying to open a file.

Any word on an actual solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ken_Cousins 

We are sorry to hear that. Please update the application to the recent version 22.2.20212 from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Amal. It appears to work under the test profile. How do I get it to work under my own profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ken_Cousins 

It looks like to be an issue with the user profile. Please try to repair the affected user profile and see if that works for you.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Amal. 

I'm experiencing the same issue with a brand new win11 computer. 

How do you suggest repair the user profile?

/Linn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your tip, @Amal. 

I created a new account like the MS help page says. 

Adobe acrobat worked like a charm with the new account, for about 3 hours. 

Now its crashing again while loadning... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines