• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro Not Responding and constanly crashing (windows 11)

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5 computers all with 12th gen i9 CPUs and EVGA 3080 Ti GPUs with each holding 64-128 GB of G. Skill RAM. Out of all 5 computers Adobe Acrobat is Not Responding and crashes. I have updated each computer, followed ALL of your troubleshooting methods on your website and in these forums. Accumilated 10-12 hours of my own time following Adobe guidelines to "fix" their program. Yet, the program is unusable. I even spent my own money to have two SEPERATE IT companies remote in on all FIVE of my computers to try and find the problem. $617 later they can't even find the problem to make Adobe not crash. I am paying to use your software and paid a 3rd party to try and find out why its crashing. Still, I am left with a non functioning software. How is this even possible? 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Is this an issue started recently after you updated the application?

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Check my solution above: 

1. Uninstall Acrobat pro

2. Install Reader 

3. Disable Protected mode in settings (security)

4. Install/upgrade to Acrobat pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Dear Amal,

Thank you for your reply, but I followed the second suggested solution (install reader first) and so far it works fine. If crashes start to occur again I will do as you advise in order to generate the needed logs.

Kind Regards
Yiannis N. Panagiotou

[P.I Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

This is probably an edge case, and certainly a "DOH!" / facepalm / 1D10t issue on my part, but in case it helps someone:

Acrobat repeatedly "Not-Responding" was caused by a file with an invalid network path in the "Recent" list, in my case.

The "Recent" list is apparently re-read periodically throughout normal app usage, and for each entry an attempt is made to follow the path and interrogate the file in some fashion (I suspect for grabbing the first page as a thumbnail).

Using Acromon and Procm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

After navigating the Adobe website multiple times I finally found the correct place to download the app, and it now works. The URL is https://get.adobe.com/reader/download?os=Windows+10&name=Reader+2024.001.20615+English+Windows%2864Bit%29&lang=en&nativeOs=Windows+10&accepted=mss&declined=&preInstalled=&site=landing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Perhaps I was having a slightly different not-responding problem, but I carefully went through all the settings and turned off anything that would require a ping to the internet. I haven't had the problem since doing that. I turned off perhaps 4-5 different settings that looked to be on by default. I wish I could tell you which one was causing the hanging, but I haven't had the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 and told Best Buy not to switch me to Windows 11 and I'm still having  this problem on Windows 10 ever since the look of Adobe changed a few months ago! The clock just stays on and freezes!  Best Buy repair service told me to shut down the computer at night but even they couldn't fix the problem!  It's like Microsoft wants to force all of us to use Windows 11 and so they disable Windows 10 too! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.. Regardless of what file I open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.  I ended all sessions of Adobe.   Logged into account on-line and end all Active Sessions under "Account and Security"  and rebooted system.  It's now working better, but it still hangs periodically.  Pretty poor software engineering by Adobe for expensive as their product is.   Next year I will keep my eyes peeled for the renew, and I may switch pdf programs.   This is the worse I've ever seen that is CONSISTENTLY causing productivity issues.  I'm even wasting time by helping out other users, b/c of their poor design/windows update integrations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, and it's always some dumb workaround that they are sure to disable
in the next few updates. Once it was clear my cache every time I opened
a file. Another time, it had to be run with Win7 compatibility in Win
11. Also, there was the time that the display could only be set to 100%
zoom in settings.... It gives me as headache

--

Jason Weaver

[P.I Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear your Recent List upon launching of the program!. It should be simple as that!

Our company has struggled with this for a very long time until we've found Emmanuel's Answer fom back in January, 30, 2023 for this post. Please refer back to his answer for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This exactly what  Electrijay  meant.  Why should we be clearing a recent list every time we open?  For the cost of the software this is poor engineering design.  Worked fine until some crazy security patch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you and Electrijay 100%. This is not our job or even to be trying so hard to figure out their own problems. Their support is terrible in terms of problem solving and all that you will get from anyone at Adobe is restart your PC, Update, Asking for screenshots of version, machine specs and nonsense that won't lead you anywhere just like a lot of other companies out there. They're ruining tools like Edit PDF every time they update the version for "security purposes" or whatever. If i were to point out and talk truth, there would be not enough room on this webpage. I miss the real Adobe from years ago now i just feel like that they're trying to make money any way they can. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, trying now... but this is exactly Electrijay meant by some dumb workaround.  Just from this thread alone, it's been a over a year of people having this issue.  What's the point of paying an expensive pro license when this bug persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it and it did it seemed to decrease the problem a bit, but it's still randomly getting the Not Responding hangup.  Makes it almost impossible to work.  I guess I'll try following the steps from page 1 for uninstalling and re-installing.  Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.  The Clear up Recent List did not work.   Hangs horribly.    The issue began after a huge windows update last month.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've ended up uninstalling and reinstalling and made sure it has the latest updates but it was back to hanging just as badly almost immediately.  Clearing recents is not an effective fix, besides the fact that I shouldn't have to do that everytime I want to open a PDF.  I can't even just open a document and start scrolling without it hanging.  My business is completely digital so I have to view multiple PDF files a day and this is just ridiculous.  I'm about to try one of the other PDF programs and cancel the Adobe subscription because I can't work like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear your Recent List upon launching of the program!. It should be simple as that!

Our company has struggled with this for a very long time until we've found Emmanuel's Answer fom back in January, 30, 2023 for this post. Please refer back to his answer for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, Adobe Pro hanging on opening .pdfs - 'not responding' message. windows 11.  No problems prior to latest Adobe update. This is an expensive program, should be fixed by Adobe. Disappointing customer service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menu in top left corner, and select "Disable new acrobat."

Change 3 settings.
Disabling page cache
Disabling signature verification while document is opened
Turn off “enable protected mode at startup.”

restart

"re-enable New Acrobat"

Seems to be working better for me, but time will tell....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also cleared the Recent List prior to executing the changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11 Adobe Acrobat Pro issue was fixed by uninstalling Acrobat Pro and then installing Acrobat Pro 2020 - all now working swimmingly... this solution was suggested by Overer as follows:

Anybody whom it might be useful for, creative cloud acrobat pro is still broken on WIN 11 22H2, as a temporary measure I've clean-uninstalled all adobe software using their official cleaner:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

then I used this guide to install a standalone version of acrobat pro 2020 (Acrobat_2020_Web_WWMUI.zip):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/i-want-to-install-acrobat-dc-only-without-creativ...

This one works alright and it has all the functions I need (unsure whether it even has any differences to the creative cloud version).

All very disappointing for an expensive program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well, with windows 10.  Got rid of adobe, and then installed the 2020 version of adobe acrobat, works fine with no more "program not responding" every time.  thank you for posting this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. Out of pure frustration I abanoned forever Acrobat and now have Foxit Pro and it works magically. Thank you Adoe for giving me the final nudge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately, Acrobat PC has been nothing but issues. Harder to add text to a .pdf, have to go to a second menue to combine .pdfs and at lease twice a day it just stops allowing me to open .pdfs. Is there a fix in place for all of this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.08.20533 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Also collect the Crash/freeze logs https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html and share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. Until a few weeks ago, everything was fine. Now when I bring up Adobe, after a few seconds, I get a mysterious grey box (see attached) and then the Adobe crashes.I've gone through normal uninstalls and the uninstalls on this thread, no luck. I'm running Windows 11. I suspect that a recent Windows update broked something.

This situation is extremely urgent since I can't get any work done on the fillable forms.

HELP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try downgrading to 2020 version as was suggested above?  That fixed all of my problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 24.01.20615 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easier said than done. It only stays up for a few seconds. Not enough time to get the version number. I went to Settings/Apps and got a screen shot from there. As you can see it is the version you specified and it was removed and reinstalled just a few days ago.

Do I still need to download the patch? 

Jack157F_0-1711372341837.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm OK with that, but how do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines