• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Annoying pop-up quit error message when opening files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's causing me to constantly get an error message when opening files that "Acrobat quit unexpectedly"? It hasn't stopped me from working or adversely affected any files but if you miss and/or don't close the message you end up with multiple windows open in the background with the same message.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Modern Acrobat , PDF , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

I used a modified version of solution #3 from https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html - my preferences already had protected view turned off so I disabled Protected Mode at startup, quit the program & restarted then enabled the mode again (while leaving Protected View turned Off) and restarted once more. I haven't had the pop-up message again since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your OS and version and what is your exact Acrobat version?

Does this happen with specific Acrobat files, or with all?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 11 Pro and Acrobat is version 2023.006.20320

It has been happening with every PDF file I open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me as well on Windows 11 23H2 running Acrobat 23.8.20470.0 / 2023.008.20470

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jaynixx,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry about the trouble caused.

As the Acrobat quit unexpectedly, please try the troubleshooting steps suggested in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html.

If that does not help, try removing the application and running the cleaner tool (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html). Reboot the machine and install Acrobat from the following page: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html

If the issue still occurs, share the screen recording of the workflow. We may require logs for the crash. You may collect the crash logs using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a modified version of solution #3 from https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html - my preferences already had protected view turned off so I disabled Protected Mode at startup, quit the program & restarted then enabled the mode again (while leaving Protected View turned Off) and restarted once more. I haven't had the pop-up message again since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the fix for everyone. did not work for the two users that were having this issue at my job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this "modified version of solution #3" and the annoying popup went away. Many thanks for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @jaynixx

Thanks! This looks like it worked for me.

Based on the toggling OFF and back ON of the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" in Preferences it looks like there is no bug in the program code, but it is simply a corrupted setting which was fixed by the OFF/ON toggling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @jaynixx

Thanks! This looks like it worked for me.

Based on the toggling OFF and back ON of the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" in Preferences it looks like there is no bug in the program code, but it is simply a corrupted setting which was fixed by the OFF/ON toggling.

By @FuzzyJohn

egg on my face.jpg BUMMER !!!

After 14 hours the error popup came back. I started the computer, did a little work in Microsoft Access and then I noticed the error popup grinning at me. Back to setting 'bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch' to 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me, as well. Thank you so much!

After CC updated my Acrobat Pro this morning I was opening and comparing several PDFs, keeping each open in it's own tab. The "Acrobat quit unexpectedly" warning popped up with each new PDF I opened but didn't actually make Acrobat quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! A combo of these solutions shared works for my test setups.

I now need to try this on the other 17 user workstations affeceted by the same issue.

This will buy me some complaint-free time to search for an alternative to Adobe Acrobat Pro for my company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as the OP – note Acrobat doesn't actually quit, it says that it has by leaving the pop-up.  @MeenakshiNegi – you are assuming that the program has quit unexpectedly, the OP clearly says he gets the error when opening files.  It doesn't seem to happen spontaneously with me and I get multiple popup windows if I don't close them when they appear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harry32492140uhoy,

This issue has been reported to the team, and they are looking into this.

Could you please share the following logs with us to investigate the issue further:

Process log: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html 

Crash log: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Harry32492140uhoy -- I came here to say this is NOT solved -- I also am having this problem ever since a Sept. 2023 update. I followed one person's advice and went back to the old Acrobat, and was relieved from this annoying pop-up for one day. But it has returned and continues to annoy.
Windows 11 Pro

Acrobat 2023.006.20320

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AerTanner  -  I have solved this by removing the 64 bit version and replacing with the 32 bit.  That wasn't exactly simple as you have to completely remove the 64 bit version, restart the PC, download a complete install for Acrobat Pro 32 and install that.  Once installed you have to tell it that you already have a subscription and hope it works it out . . . which it does.  Quite a bit of faffing though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the tip.

I also uninstalled and installed the 32-bit version.

It seems to be the only solution that works, until Adobe figures it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you as well 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I had the same problem with annoying pop ups every time I opened a PDF file. I accidently landed in the Acrobat Reader forum and the solution of one member worked for me:

- open Acrobat

- go to File > Preferences

- select the tab "General" and change the "Touch Mode" to Never

- Change "Scale for screen resolution (restart required)" to No Scaling

- Save and exit.

This has done the trick for me for over a week now including restarts, powering off and on and Windows update. All working fine now. The member who posted this is the Reader forum was Kmoodysoh (so I am not taking the credits for this, he was the one who saved my day 

John327305827isa_0-1697538129400.png

)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no desire to go back to the 32-bit version with it's endless issues with memory so the above strategy worked for me. I had to restart adobe after changing the scaling but no issue since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh I stand corrected. The error still appears, just not as often. It ultimately doesn't prevent the program from running it's more an annoyance than anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is. The only solution that worked for me was the 32-bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  The error message only if "Preferences>General>Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" is checked.   Changing dropdown "Preferences>General>Touchmode" from Auto-Detect to Never and radio button "Preferences>General>Scale for screen resolution (restart required)" from Auto-Detect to No Scaling  made the error message no longer appear when opening a file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - this didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines