• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Booklet printing - A4 landscape to A5 booklet inverts every other page

Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to print a 16 page A4 landscape PDF created from Word 2016. Pages 1 and 2, and 15 and 16 form a cover and there are 12 actual pages of content.

It consists of lists of DVDs we have in our Hospital Patients LIbrary.

Last week all pages were printed correctly - Page numbers at the bottom of each A4 sheet printed furthest from the 'fold'.

Today, I made a few amendments, and resaved the file as PDF from Word.

When I went to print, all pages were in the correct place on the paper, but half of them were logically upside down.

So opening the pages out to A4, the first side contains 2 A4 original pages printed A5. The lower one is Page 1 of 12, the upper one is Page 12 of 12.

When I printed this last week, Page 12 of 12 was inverted in relation to page 1 of 12 - the page number (page 12) at bottom centre was next to the top edge of the paper, and not next to the fold. This is repeated for all 6 sides of printed content.

This week, all atten=mpts to print the new PDF, and the old one that worked last week fail in the same way.

(Windows 10 1703, Office 365, HP OfficeJet Pro 8600, all patched to June 2018, and no Windows or office patches installed in the last 2 weeks, Adobe acrobat reader DC version 18.011.20055.27899.

I'm at a loss!! I've tried printing the booklet direct from Word 2016 without success.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

As I said: you need to correct your print settings.

The booklet printing in Acrobat is not the best feature Adobe is offering.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your print settings are not correct.

You need to correctly adjust the marked parameters:

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Abambo,

Yes, that works for a portrait booklet but I need to make an A5 landscape booklet from A4  landscape.

What puzzles me is that it worked at the beginning of last week, but not now, with my original PDF file and then with a new one.

The setting that rotates the pages is of course "Auto-rotate". It just doesn't auto-rotate consistently.

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever glitch that was scrambling page order has now righted itself.

That's good, but I'd dearly like to know what was wrong - if I did something wrong?

Ah well. the result is good but the mystery remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fault entirely.

The difference is down to the Portrait/Landscape setting in 'Orientataion'.

Needs to be 'Portrait' NOT 'Landscape'.  Grrrr.

Sorry to waste your time, Abambo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo  wrote

From my simple range of software, Acrobat booklet printing is far better than Word.

I wondered what you recommend that handles booklets better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Booklet printing works fine, if you just need to print , without much control. However, to do "real" booklets, you either need a quite expensive plug-in (professional printers have imposition programs, doing much more than just booklet printing) or you use Indesign to create a ready to print PDF in booklet format. That's what I use, when I'm doing booklet brochures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Abambo,

I have the range of Office 365 already, but don't think I need the professional software that you use.

I will note your comment about Adobe Indesign. Never know, I may need that some time.

I already have an Adobe ID, so can try it out easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines