• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't combine files into one PDF.

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to combine multiple files into one PDF. I have 40 individual pdf pages that I want to make one pdf that is 40 pages in length. I then want to edit that document, rotate pages properly and save it. Used to be a simple and straight forward process. What am I missing?

I am choosing combine files to a pdf, but regardless of what I choose, it apparently creates a portfolio made up of individual documents. I also want to rotate pages that were combined (some of which were landscape), and there is no way I can see to do that without literally going into each document, rotating and saving.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Hi Kates,

Can you please verify which version of Acrobat Pro you are using? It is Acrobat Pro DC, and I assume you are updated to the latest release?

What is the process you are using to combine these pages? It should be from here:

2018-10-19_10-48-19.png

Note that further down that menu is "PDF Portfolio." Did you miss when selecting?

Before you do this though, try to have some built in order. That is pre-name them such as 01-document.pdf, 02-document.pdf, etc.

Then when you bring them in they will be in the order you want

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you show some examples.

If you combine 40 files in to one pdf, all pages are under each other in one pdf, and yes i looks like a portfolio. I've never used it with landscape and portrait in one combined pdf, but normally acrobat sees what is lanscape and is portrait.

Maybe a silly question, but do you have installed Office 365 on your computer? Because i have some issues with acrobat since i installed Office 365.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kates,

Can you please verify which version of Acrobat Pro you are using? It is Acrobat Pro DC, and I assume you are updated to the latest release?

What is the process you are using to combine these pages? It should be from here:

2018-10-19_10-48-19.png

Note that further down that menu is "PDF Portfolio." Did you miss when selecting?

Before you do this though, try to have some built in order. That is pre-name them such as 01-document.pdf, 02-document.pdf, etc.

Then when you bring them in they will be in the order you want. BTW, you do not need to pre-form them into PDFs you can bring Word, JPGs, Excel documents (and some other formats) all in there and combine them then let Acrobat do the rest.

Next you stated you were concerned about rotating some of the PDFs, Are you aware that within a single PDF you can have portrait and landscape documents next to each other? PDFs do not care, they are not books. However, if you are concerned and wish to rotate some of the pages, you can go into the Organize Pages set of tools and easily rotate the pages there. You state that there are only about 30 pages. That's not enough to worry about how to have Acrobat self-rotate, it's small enough to simply rotate them by hand within Organize Pages. Yes, a bit tedious but much faster in the long run.

You can then do a Save as... and you should be done.

I hope this works for you, you didn't give much information in your original problem/issue statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm amazed that Kates had that problem. I had the exact opposite. I ended up with twelve 10page documents combined into one without even trying. (It's a good thing, mind you...I'm not complaining, just confused.)

I don't have ANY Pro version of Adobe Acrobat/Reader. I haven't paid for anything...and as far as I know, I didn't click on any Free Trial button.........and yet.....
I downloaded 12 monthly statements from my online banking website...they first appeared (during the downloading process) in the Chrome Adobe extension. From there, I saved each one and modified the name of each as I was doing it...changing them from "onlinestatement" (or whatever they were) to "2020_Jan"...etc, etc.

As I was doing all this, Adobe Acrobat itself opened and started neatly arranging my newly (sensibly) named PDF's as tabs accross the top of Adobe's viewing window.

I can't remember the sequence of events, exactly...whether I clicked on Save, again, or what I did, but when I subsequently clicked on one of the PDF's that ended up in my CIBC/Unregistered/51807 folder in File Explorer, low and behold, it opened Adobe and there was only ONE document tab at the top and ALL 12 months were in ONE flowing document with 120 pages in it. Jan/Feb/Mar, etc, etc, etc....all nicely one after the other, like scrolling down through the worlds longest letter in Word.

I have no idea HOW I did that, nor can I RE-CREATE the magic.

I've SEEN the "Combine Files" command under "File" and even tried clicking on it once or twice, but as soon as I saw the words "Sign up forFree 7-Day Trial" I felt my wallet getting fidgety and backed off.

Does anyone have ANY idea what I might have done.......that I don't seem to be able to DO AGAIN?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently noticed that my files are not combining into one PDF but into a portfolio. It does not matter if I use the tools shortcut or the tools>create function. I'm not sure what changes because when I started to use Pro DC in October I was able to do just that: combine multiple PDF's into one PDF (where the pages are 1 to infinity; not one page of one, hit arrow next for subsequent page). Hopefully there's another way to correct what was once working. I've done numerous searches and have not found a solution.

ETA: Naturally, as soon as I posted I was able to figure out the solution: When in the combined files window click options and uncheck Save As PDF Portfolio. The combined file should now say Binder instead of Portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever I do - I now can't now combine files to create a 'binder' PDF - only a 'portfolio' PDF.

Whichever route I take in order to combine the files - it creates a portfolio... I DON'T WANT TO CREATE A PORTFOLIO!

Please Adobe - can someone help? Is this an issue anyone else is experiencing?

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome thank you ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution - at the point at which you are combining the files you'll see an 'options' icon:

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 09.56.30.png

Simply un-check 'Save as PDF Portfolio' at this point:

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 09.57.27.png

It's kind of silly... as you've deliberately chosen not to create a portfolio by this time - but just make sure that's un-checked.

Bad UX to be honest... but whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I've combined multiple files to create PDFs in the past and I have never encountered this as an issue. I really appreciate the guidance! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this solved the unable to combine to a single pdf file issue, but now the signatires are removed from signed files.  Any suggestions?/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked for me. How exasperating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. Never had the problem before. Geez smh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!  I was pulling my hair out.  Not sure how this setting auto changed, as I have combined PDFs successfully daily!  Much appreciated!!  And WORKED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this question is almost a year old, but I was having the same problem and this forum did not answer the question.  What I DID discover after many a trying attempts was that in the OPTIONS box, I had (or it came that way on install) checked the box for "Save as PDF Portfolio" - when this is not checked, it combines all of the files into ONE PDF.  HOORAY!!  So much easier before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx!! It's been driving me crazy. Terrible, terrible UX. Good Lord.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was stumping me with my PRO version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this advice - I spent hours working on this today and this post has helped enormously. I now have a binder file - hurray 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! this worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, that solved the exact same problem (now to figure out how that got checked)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU for providing the solution!

"When in the combined files window click options and uncheck Save As PDF Portfolio. The combined file should now say Binder instead of Portfolio."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have had the exact same issue. I will try your patch. I felt lik I was going nuts, so thank you so much for sharing a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot combine files either and I just paid to be able to do it through Adobe.  The combine button is not an option. What do I do?

Haydn5E57_0-1601434678882.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. You must enter the new file name first (just to the left of the combine button) in order to activate the combine button. Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are in the combince files screen, before you combining the files, click the Option icon and unclick the "Save as PDF Portfolio" button

PDF Options.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines