• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Disable Tabs in New Acrobat

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the new Acrobat and I don't see the option to open documents in separate windows, instead of tabs, in the Preferences > General section.

Am I missing something?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

I had this exact same problem, and the only way to fix it was to disable the new interface. So Adobe is now hosting webpages telling us to unclick the "Open Documents As New Tabs In The Same Window" option, despite the fact that this option no longer exists - e.g. https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/viewing-pdfs-viewing-preferences.html.

Can you confirm, at least, that the option to disable the new version will remain in place going forward? I've been using Acrobat for >25 years, I rely on it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nur development 

Thanks for reaching out. 

The correct way of changing the document opening setting is to change Acrobat's preference setting. 

What all options do you see under Edit>Preferences>General? Can you share the screenshot of the same?

Isn't it Open documents as new Tabs in the same window available there? If yes, it needs to be unchecked. 

AkanchhaS_0-1671475366804.png

You can also navigate Acrobat>Windows>Cascade for a one-time view

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the new Acrobat. I don't see that option.Screenshot 2022-12-19 105347.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you drag the tabs out of the window? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. But no option to disable as a default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nur development 

Can you go to Help > About and give us a screenshot with your version? Also, what is your OS and version? 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See attachedScreenshot 2022-12-19 152844.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that @nur development 

What if when you disable the new user interface, do you get the option back?

How to disable the New UI, click here

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would rather not switch the interface, but it was working in the old interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact same problem, and the only way to fix it was to disable the new interface. So Adobe is now hosting webpages telling us to unclick the "Open Documents As New Tabs In The Same Window" option, despite the fact that this option no longer exists - e.g. https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/viewing-pdfs-viewing-preferences.html.

Can you confirm, at least, that the option to disable the new version will remain in place going forward? I've been using Acrobat for >25 years, I rely on it daily, and the new interface is frustrating and unintuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of us can confirm Adobe's plans. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish they would bring this feature back, it's a pain to keep having to drag those windows out every time I need to compare many different pdf files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will uninstall adobe  [cursing removed]  tabs!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe why companies nowdays are pushing or deactivating options the people love... It's like they have a meeting and say: "Hey guys, how can we annoy users which are using or product since 25 years ? hmmmmm.... let's disable some basic functions the people like so that they have to look 1 hour in the internet to get their function back. Anyway we will push it in further updates so that they use another pdf reader..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new view is HORRIBLE. Quit completely changing the interface on a program we need to use every day efficiently. These changes are useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this seems to be happening in the latest. Can someone at Adobe let us know if we can disable tabs?
O/S: Windows 11 (22H2)
Adobe Acrobat Reader version below:

vsrihari_0-1697691451982.png
"General" Preferences window has no "Open documents in tabs" option to be checked/unchecked to enable/disable this.

vsrihari_1-1697691558683.png

Appreciate it very much!
Thanks,
Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible when you disable the new UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
10 hours ago 10 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no memory of disabling the new UI, but I have that option under Settings. But it doesn't work (yes, I restarted Acrobat). All documents still in one window, different tabs. Hate it! (Screenshot in Swedish)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very frustrating that Adobe would disable this feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in same situation on Mac OS X 10.15.7 with Adobe Acrobat fully updated! 

Tab option only in onlder version of Acrobat. 

This is soo boring!

>=/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines