Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Cannot find or create the font ...

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this same question/error's been posted a million times and has been around for at least a decade.  There's a number of possible causes and fixes, but none have worked for me.

Essentially, I open a PDF (unknown who produced it or how much it's been modified since then), but on some computers I get the error "Cannot find or create the font 'ArialMT'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.", while on others, I get no error dialog at all, but some text is just white boxes while other text (even within the same word or even just a closing bracket (i.e., ']') shows up fine:

Example.png

From digging into the issue, I understand that some version/variation of a font wasn't embedded when the PDF was created, but what I don't understand is why I can open the exact same PDF in various PDF applications and some of them are able to display the entire PDF without any issue.  To wit:

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (2021.005.20060) - White boxes

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (2021.005.20060) - White boxes

Nitro Pro (13.31.0.605) - No problems whatsoever

Unfortunately, the individual experiencing this issue (in addition to me being able to replicate it) is basically required to use AAP and can't use anything else due to <waves hand around> "reasons".

I ran the document in question through PreFlight and of course it finds a host of issues (font name is not unique; font not embedded; font reverts to .notdef glyph; text cannot be mapped to unicode; etc.).

Confounding the issue even further, I'm able to open the PDF in question just fine in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (in addition to Nitro PDF) on at least one other computer.  O' Consistency, whyfor dost thou detest me so!

Ahem.

So my questions are thus:  Am I essentially boned on being able to get Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to open this PDF without issue, or at to display everything correctly and, if not, why does it open (and print) correctly with Nitro PDF (of which I'm not typically a fan, but it seems a mite less ... complexified than AAPDC)?

Any advice/guesses/suggestions/etc.?  (Many thanks for any help!)

P.S., I'm not able to upload the PDF in question as it's (A), company-sensitive info and (B), 401 pages, but I may be able to hunt down a similarly affected document that would be postable.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021
Hi Glossome Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble you are experiencing. As described you are unable to view the PDF properly in your system and getting the square boxes. As correctly said, it is the font issue as the font is not properly embedded in the PDF file or it is not present on your computer system.  Please try the following preference settings and see if that works for you. Go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Page Display > Under rendering, check use ...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Glossome

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble you are experiencing.

As described you are unable to view the PDF properly in your system and getting the square boxes.

As correctly said, it is the font issue as the font is not properly embedded in the PDF file or it is not present on your computer system.  Please try the following preference settings and see if that works for you. Go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Page Display > Under rendering, check use local fonts and click OK  and reboot the system.

Also, you may ask the creator of the PDF file to create the PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and see if that helps

Also the third party apps use their own PDF mechanism to display and render the PDF content and they are not Adobe dependant.

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines