• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open files on the network server.

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks:

I have a user running Acrobat X Pro.  The program works fine in all respects except one:  When he tries to open a PDF that is on the server, he gets an error message:

"There was an error opening this document.  This file cannot be found."

He has NO problem opening the same file from within Acrobat.  He cannot open it from an Explorer window or directory listing. 

In a related problem, if he tries to open a file or folder using the mapped drive letter, he gets an error message:

"Windows can't find 'G:\'.  Check the spelling and try again."

So this all points to a problem related to Acrobat not recognizing the computer's drive mapping --- but this problem does not exist on any other workstation on the network (all Win8 virtual machines using Acrobat Pro X).  But I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Any help?  Please?!?

Thanks!

Micah

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Hi,

I had a similar problem wherein i couldn't access files on a shared drive unless i copy them to a local drive. i am using Acrobat XI.

This appears to be a bug because Reader completely ignores the Trust settings menu for trusted sites or files and refuses to load even PDFs from those trusted locations.

The way it worked for me is to disable protected mode under preferences-Security enhanced-uncheck enable protected mode at startup (although this defeats the whole purpose of security this tweak

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

I have found a solution for this one. Maybe this will also work for you.

1. I go to the location of the app > right click then properties > go to compatibility tab > change settings for all users > uncheck the run this program as an administrator then apply then ok 

2. Open the app > Click file then open > type \\serveraddress\filename > then it will ask you if you trust the location and allow the file to be open> just click allow. 

I hope this works for you

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you have indicated (s)he can open the file from within Acrobat itself. This suggests it is not an Acrobat issue, but a file association issue in the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem exists in Acrobat Pro only.  The problem does not happen with Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word, Corel WordPerfect, or any other program.

I could see the issue being something related to network mapping or something, but not file associations. 

(By the way, I did try setting and resetting file associations, but it didn't fix the problem.  And I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat, which also did not fix the problem.)

Thanks for the input!

Micah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having precisely the same issue.

I am running Adobe Acrobat XI Standard on Windows 8 Professional. All updates have been applied to both.

(I have 4 other computers with identical configurations where this problem does not occur.)

In the problem machine (and a 2nd computer with the same issue) I can easily open the file using a UNC path, e.g. \\server\h\filename.pdf in Adobe Acrobat.

Using the drive mapping, net use h: \\server\h, I cannot access the file H:\filename.pdf.

I can't open H: from within Adobe Acrobat either, not just the PDF.

I can open any other file on that drive with any other program.

I can open \\server\h\filename.pdf and the H: drive from Foxit Reader installed on the same computer.

The specific problem is that Adobe Acrobat XI can't open or see a mapped drive by drive letter.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven:

I am so glad to hear that you are suffering this problem . . . it confirms that I am not insane. 

Unfortunately, I have had no progress solving it.  I thought I might have come up with a solution when I tried remapping drives.  I also have had random times when it has worked for no apparent reason --- but nope, the problem comes back very quickly.  Uninstalling and reinstalling does not work.  The problem exists only in Acrobat; all other programs recognize the drive mapping.

Sometimes I can open a mapped drive from within Acrobat, but generally I cannot.

I can set Reader to be my default PDF handler, and it works fine, but I really need to open files with Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll let you know if I come across a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem too. I tried disabling Enhanced Security but that did not help (even after exiting the program and restarting). If I copy those files on my local drive (from my NAS drive), everything is fine. So, I would conclude the problem is accessing files on a network drive. I tried opening via File > Open, also, from File Explorer, but no luck. Says error reading document.

This problem has started recently, porbably after updating to WIndows 10 (64-bit). !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well. Any files I try to open over our network now won't open: "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found.", same file opens fine locally. I tried re-starting my system but no change.

Windows 7

Acrobat Pro X

Bit of history: Acrobat was running fine for me but a recent Acrobat/company update coming in at the same time messed up the Acrobat update and it wasn't able to complete. We tried to install the update multiple times but Acrobat wouldn't launch at all. We re-installed Acrobat last week and it seemed fine, but I'm also not sure if I tried to open any files from over the network.

Any suggestions would be great!

Jenna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm  experiencing the same problem, but in Adobe Premiere and Dreamweaver. Has anyone found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution on windows 8.1:

1. Right click on the Adobe Acrobat app icon
  2. Switch to security tab
  3. Check that all users and groups do have full access rights
  4. Click ok
  5. Try again to open files from mapped network drives...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick

I have tried your solution but still unable to open the files in network drive.

Anyone has alternative solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just resolved this same issue for one of our users here.

Most likely you:
1. can see your network drives under start > computer > network location
2. but can't see these network drives when you try to do a 'file > open' under adobe acrobat

This means you have a compatibility mode conflict.

to resolve:
1. right click adobe acrobat > properties > click on compatibility tab
2. uncheck "run this program in compatibility mode for" (it will most likely say windows xp)

you should now be able to open files from your network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

User has tried but still cannot.

Is this common issue with Win8.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed our problem exactly.  Our Acrobat X user could access the network from any program but this one.  Taking off the compatibility mode fixed the problem.  Kudos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be an issue with Adobe. I have a client that once the newest update gets applied, they cannot open a PDF from the server.  This is Adobe Acrobat and they are running a Windows Server 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat go to Edit --> Preferences --> Security (Enhanced)

if you uncheck the Enabled box it wont really do anything. What you have to do is in the Enhanced Security Window add the shared folder path.

Just tried this on Acrobat Standard 9 and it worked flawlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click -> Properties. Disable 'Run as administrator'.

Fixed the problem for acrobat pro 10 with windows 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for me. Thanks

Windows 7 Pro

Acrobat XI Standard

Windows Server 2008R2

"Right click -> Properties. Disable 'Run as administrator'."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well. Unfortunately, I ALSO have Error 16 at the same time, which can seemingly ONLY be fixed by running as administrator. Running as administrator allows me to access files on my hard drive without issue, but I am completely unable to access network locations or open network files through Acrobat.

Disabling "run as administrator" allows me to open files both on my computer and on the network, however, a few seconds later, Error 16 pops up and closes Acrobat. I've tried all other Error 16 fixes, including modifying permissions on SLStore and Adobe PCD, Cleaner and reinstall, and a few others.

I also recently updated to Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue. Turning off sandboxing fixed it.

EDIT: also I had to disconnect and remap the network drive that it was loading from for whatever reason.

EDIT2: User rebooted at the end of the day and it broke the fix.

EDIT3: Changing the maps from a hostname to an IP seemed to fix the issue again, however re-adding subsequent maps by IP then broke it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Soln't (Might need your system administrator to do this)

under security tab, add "Creator Owner" to the root of folder (OR any specific Location) and grant it FULL permission

also grant yourself Full permission

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had a similar problem wherein i couldn't access files on a shared drive unless i copy them to a local drive. i am using Acrobat XI.

This appears to be a bug because Reader completely ignores the Trust settings menu for trusted sites or files and refuses to load even PDFs from those trusted locations.

The way it worked for me is to disable protected mode under preferences-Security enhanced-uncheck enable protected mode at startup (although this defeats the whole purpose of security this tweak worked for me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me in 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks, just to leave my little contribution. A whole decade and 12 versions of Acrobat after this post was created, I'm still having this issue. Mapped network drives work for all file types except pdf files. Got it to work by going to Adobe Acrobat preferences and disabling Security (Enhanced) as some people recommended above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Adobe Acrobat 2020 on my PC. I can open files on my local drive but I cant open directly from a network. I need to place the file first on my local drive before it can open. What I did was, I go to the location of the app > right click then properties > go to compatibility tab > change settings for all users > uncheck the run this program as an administrator then apply then ok 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines