Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to know how to change my login name when I add Comment "balloons."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

The login-name is fixed. You can change the author name, though.

Go to Edit - Preferences - Commenting and make sure that "Always use log-in name for author name" is ticked off, and then select your comment, right-click it and select Properties. You'll be able to change the Author name in that window.

Afterwards you can right-click it again and select to use the current value as the new default.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The login-name is fixed. You can change the author name, though.

Go to Edit - Preferences - Commenting and make sure that "Always use log-in name for author name" is ticked off, and then select your comment, right-click it and select Properties. You'll be able to change the Author name in that window.

Afterwards you can right-click it again and select to use the current value as the new default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your quick feedback ... and the (effective) workaround. Do you know why on Earth Adobe decided to lock the login name itself? What does that accomplish, except to irritate the heck out of people? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's locked because it's a value that comes from the operating system, and Acrobat can't change it. It's the name of the currently logged-in user on the machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, great. Got it. I went through Win10's "Computer Management" --> Users and found the creepy login name I don't want.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I changed the Login name in Windows 10 but the old login name still appears in the 'author name' field. This is very frustrating. Is there an Acrobat DC registry setting to change the author name? Adobe needs to make the 'author name' field easier to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to get the "Login name" to change by following the instructions here: https://superuser.com/questions/371382/where-is-username-variable-defined

Specifically this:

• Use lusrmgr.msc to modify the user name by clicking it, pressing F2 and changing it (then log out/in or reboot).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work anymore in recent Windows version. Run netplwiz instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the same problem described in this post: the Author name I want to use is different from the login name (which I really don't know where it came from, by the way). The option "Always use login name etc" is ticked off, I changed the default options for Author Comment on one of the notes, restarted several times, but...

Login name still appear on the comments.

What could I do?

Any help will be truly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should habve started a new conversaton. Also this question has been answered many times. First try the search featuer of the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making this change doesn't affect existing comments, only new ones you create afterwards.

And the login name comes from the OS. It's the name of the user account currently being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would like to change your displayed name on old comments, open the comment in question, click the three dots to the right of your name, and click "Properties." When the box comes up, click the tab that says "General" and then type your preferred name in the "Author" box. Then click "OK."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm also suddenly having this problem after the last Adobe update-- the name I've been using in "comments" has somehow changed to a name I don't use that Adobe must have picked up somewhere else. Very confusing and frustrating to have my preferred name in comments suddenly changed after an Adobe update. I've done everything here, I've changed "identity" checked off and on every box, but the weird version of my name still keeps coming up. I can change to my login name, but that's not the one I want to use, and I can't change that to one I want to use. The only thing I can do now is CHANGE MANUALLY THE NAME ON EVERY COMMENT I MAKE. This is not efficient, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines