Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combine PDF process slows down after first 30 files

Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When combining approximately 80 PDF files into one PDF file, the first 30 or so combine quickly but then the process slows to a crawl for the remaining combines. All files are about the same size. We are using Adobe Acrobat X Pro. Can you direct me to potentially a setting that we may have overlooked? Or something else entirely.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

There's no fix for this sort of thing and it doesn't seem to have got any better in current versions. You can try combining smaller batches (20 files, 20 more, combine all these combined files).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no fix for this sort of thing and it doesn't seem to have got any better in current versions. You can try combining smaller batches (20 files, 20 more, combine all these combined files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue also; however, it is with only one specific file type. I download test results from a OTDR (fiber optic cable tester) in .pdf form. When i try to combine these 200K files, each file takes longer than the last. 24 files would take 20 minutes, with the first couple going right away.  I have used the same computer running the same program to combine  over a hundred VSWR tests and/or Passive intermodulation tests with no problem.  It is just the .pdf files from the OTDR machine that slows Acrobat down. I have not been able to figure out why or come up with a solution. Even when I just combine 5 at a time, I cannot then combine those into any other .pdf without a long delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

200K files: not a job for Acrobat. Not entirely sure it's a job for anything. But on the specific case: PDF files can range from very simple to unbelievably complex inside and you'd never know from looking at them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually i combine word docs that are 4-5Mb each (photos embedded), and combine 10-15 of them no problem.  It is not the file size that is the issue. It must be the complexity of the .pdf file.  Are there are settings that can be changed in Adobe before combining that would allow Acrobat to "dumb down" the .pdf's when combining?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really... and the chances are that even if Acrobat could read-simplify-save a file that would take much longer than just combining it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I read this as you have 200,000 files to combine. Do you actually have files of 200KB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, FILES OF 200kb EACH, NOT 200,000 FILES TO COMBINE...

When combining, there is an "options" button.

4 things are on the list to check or not check.  Would any combination of these possibly help me?

Always enable accessibility and reflow

always add bookmarks to Adobe PDF

Continue Combining if an error occurs

Convert all files to PDF when creating a portfolio

Also, there are 3 options for file size, small, medium and large.  Would selecting one of these affect it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Disable the entry "Always enable accessibility and reflow".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was disabled already. Disabling the second option, "always add bookmarks to Adobe PDF" helped speed up the process a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had the same issues recently, so mich so that I have been using a cheaper alternative,  However, I was interested in the Options and actually enabled all of them, hey preseto, now it is back to what I call normal.  I did a test on combining the same files, one with the second option disabled, as it had been - took over 5 minutes to combine 269 mb and another 10 minutes to save.

Next I enabled all 5 of the Options and it took lets than 1 minute to combine and seconds to save.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines