Combining PDFs Error, "Adobe XML forms cannot be merged"

New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat 2017 version - 17.011.30171

Window 10 1809

snipitpdferror.png

I am having issues combining pdfs on certain computers due to acrobat saying they are XML forms (see image) yet when I try a different computer it doesn't throw any error and is able to combine the files into one easily. Is there a setting that needs to be on or off am not seeing? Is there a way to tell if they really are XML forms? They don't carry any fillable fields. I don't want it to be a "portfolio". Just simiply need a single pdf. Any help is appreciated.

Things I've tried:

Restarting, Reinstalling, and deleteing everything adobe and then reinstalling

Haven't tried:

complete wipe of said computer and really starting fresh

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible that it worked on one computer and not another, unless you combined them as a Portfolio in the one where it worked. XML forms can't be merged with regular PDF files, period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I don't understand. I spent half a day checking that everything between the computers were the same and they were. The other computer wasn't making a portfolio, I checked. It was combining them normally into a pdf. I also checked that they were pdfs and all the properties say they were. I understand that XML forms can't be merged that is not what am trying to do. I am simply trying to find why one computer says a file is a okay to combine and the other computer is reporting those same files as XML when trying to combine them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are both computers updated to the same versions of MS Windows 10 and using the same updated versions of Adobe Acrobat?

Also, could it be that the computer that was merging successfully is somehow flattening the source files before the merge?

Is the Combine Files tool configured to delete the source files after the merge is finalized in the computers that have no issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For PC. Try opening the individual file in adobe and select "Microsoft Print to PDF". This will save it in a pdf format that you can then use to combine. 

Unfortunately, the XML files format is a designer file with a pdf jacket. Great for creating files but not very functional.

I followed the steps above today and it worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines