Comment/Highlight sorting in two-column pdf

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If  a pdf has two columns (the default in any journal), then the highlights and comments do not appear in order in the pane on the right. Rather, if a highlight/comment on the second column is higher up than a highlight/comment on the first column, it comes before it!

Ie the pdf is not recognizing columns. This makes the highlights unreadable, as the sequence is broken.

I am surprised there are not many posts on this, as there does not seem to be a fix.

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are corect. The order of the comments is according to the order in which they appear in the page vertically.

Honestly, I've been using Acrobat for 20 years, and you're the first person I've ever seen ask about this.

Sorry it's giving you trouble.

There is a workaround:

Go to Preferences > Commenting > Uncheck "Always use login name for author name."

Then you can change the Author name of the comments:

Column 1

Column 2, etc.

Then sort by Author name.

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 12.57.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 12.57.06 PM.png

You could also highlight each column in a different color and sort by color.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestions. My concern is a valid one, the export/print functions are meaningless  with this problem.

I read dozens of pdfs and want to export my highlighted sections.

Adobe could just fix it, as the proposed solutions are not practical for regular users.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines