• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting PDF to JPG with consistent dimensions

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making an 8.5x11 baby book that I will get printed through an online printer like Snapfish.

I have the 8.5x11 pages built it in PPT, saved as PDF (8.5x11) and tried to convert the PDF to JPG but the JPGs are all different sizes. So, when I upload into Snapfish, some photos don't fit the template.

I'm going crazy because in PDF, all the pages are the same size.

If I attempt to screenshot a page that doesn't have the dimensions I want, the resolution is too low for printing. HELP.

Attaching the baby book in question.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kerissa38721462o73b the actual page size is 10" x 7.5" as stated in the document properties.

mpchow_0-1721536658414.png

2. You can go back to your PowerPoint Presentation, and change the actual size of the Page set-up to letter size 11" x 8.5" ...unless you have Acrobat Pro, and you can resize the document in Acrobat. Not 100% sure of Acrobat Reader will allow you to change the size...but, if you did this in PowerPoint, you are better off using the original anyways

3. It almost sounds like you need a bounding box around the whole page. Or maybe place a white box in the background, 11" x 8.5" so that when you upload it to snapfish, it has a printing area that will be the same throughout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying! Per 2, 10X7.5 is the default when you have  the slide sized for 8.5x11, but i see what you mean.

I do have Acrobat Pro so I might play around with it OR outsource it on Fiverr to be done with it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How have you created the jpg files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPT to PDF then opened PDF in Acrobat Pro to export as JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not print the PDF file directly? It's much better quality than a JPEG. Just request that it is scaled to fit the paper when printed, and the actual page size shouldn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@try67 you have a great point....but the creator is uploading the PDF/images to a third-party website. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, I want to upload to a third party site so I can have it printed into a bound book. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A picture is worth 1000 words:

Capture_2407211320.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I follow you all the way to the last orange box - I'm on inches and I don't know how to calculate which is most appropriate?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 1.42.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kerissa38721462o73b the pixels per inch (PPI) refers to the image resolution, which impacts the final quality of your prints. 300 pixels should be fine....but really, the print shop should be setting this up not you. Unless you are doing a test print to see. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your key sentence is "I'm going crazy because in PDF, all the pages are the same size."

It should be stated as "…all the pages appear to be the same size."

#1) Be aware that PPT does wierd stuff to images in order to accomodate images that have too much resolution and too little. If you're going to show a baby book via projection, PPT is fine. In preparation for printing, it's not recommended.

#2) You need to open your images in something like Photoshop and create a "Canvas Size" around your image for 8.5 x 11. Think about it: an 8 x 12 image is not 8.5 x 11, neither is a 4 x 5 image. Unless the canvas size is 8.5 x 11, it will set up the page as it was told.

I hope that gives you some leads to follow up with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! I tried to do it in Canva but you're right that PPT/PDF messes a bunch of things up.  I have a bunch of white boxes to cover up things I didn't want to include so the Canva rendering had all the layering wrong.

I'm going to try playing around in Acrobat Pro because I don't have Photoshop (program or skills) or I might outsource on fiverr to spare myself further headache! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kerissa38721462o73b so does this work? The image is 300 ppi - JPG. I tried it two ways with both the files are literally at 300 ppi - JPG. One took me 15 minutes (re-did it InDesign and exported as JPGs) and the other way was through Acrobat that took me 15 seconds! 

1. File - Save As - Convert to and Select JPG 
  2.  Choose where to save the 29 pages. Click on New Folder (better to be organized)
  3.  Change the Format to Jpeg again
  4. Click on Settings to change the quality of the images
  5. File settings to the Maximum quality
  6. Turn off all colour profiles (less hassle for the printer) for Color Management
  7.  Change the resoultion to be 300 ppi

All the images should be flatten once you export as a JPG.

mpchow_0-1721599868936.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can change the page size in Acrobat using a preflight fixup, Tools> Print Production> Preflight. Note, if you duplicate an existing preflight fixup, you can edit the fixup settings (you can't edit the existing profiles supplied with Acrobat). Use the "Options" fly-out menu to duplicate a fixup. I would use InDesign to format your book and export a full res pdf. Also, your pdf has 29 pages, you will need a page count divisible by 4 for a bound book or divisible by 2 for spiral bound.

scale to specific size.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines